Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo life

Default Ammo life

I hear of everyone loading up on ammo. Anyone what to voice an opinion on how long ammo is good for. I'm sure for just regular shooting, it would last a long time. For defensive purpose, what do you think. Lets say we have ideal conditions storing conditions.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Ammo life

If it is just stored in a cool dry place, 40+ years. If it is actively being carried. A few months up to a year or so depending on conditions in your area.

(Westmoreland County)

Biggest thing to avoid is changes in temp. The cycling up and down is just as bad as constant hi heat.

Moisture is easier to take care of . Use mil poly bags and "do not eat" moisture eaters. I personally use higher end kitty litter, since it is the same thing. A moisture eater. Plus, better kitting litter turns colors too to let me know when it is no good. It is tons cheaper than packets. I have also see guys use their wives food sealers. Make sure to include moisture eaters.

Other than that, as long as it is good western ammo, it will be filled with preservatives, just like Wonder Bread, and will be good to go for 50+ years.

I prefer basement storage, since temp is constant 55-65 all year. Moisture is taken care of via above methods.

Good luck. Ohh, Russian ammo is supposidly a little more prone to deterioration due to cheaper powders.

i went to new holland this past sunday, i was shooting my k98 (with) ammo made in 1944. i had not one misfire in 25-30 rounds. also, i was shooting iron sights at 400 yards (and hitting my target). keep em dry and temperature controlled.. my ammo will probably last another 20-30 years..
    FJB

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: Ammo life

The longest I have personally stored ammo is about 7 years so far..But...I have ammo that belonged to my grandfather which is just about 60 yrs old and I have fired it through the gun it was orginally purchased for...that ammo was found in his attic...I now have the gun as well!

I store my ammo in ammo cans...Which right now are stored in a dry, temp controlled area. I am planning an ammo storage drum. Its actually 2 drums, 1-55gal and 1-35 gal. The 35 will be welded inside the 55 and sand will fill the void between the two..Not too sure about the sand concernig moisture though. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be thankful...

(Lebanon County)

I still have a few boxes of .22 ammo that are from one of the first bricks I bought in the mid-70s. It's been on a shelf, in a cabinet, in a box in my basement, it spent a few years in the trunk of one of my cars,... I didn't give it any special care at all. Last year when I bought my Charger, that was some of the ammo I fired out of it first and it went bang every time.
    As long as you don't leave it in an environment that is prone to causing corrosion you'll be fine for a real long time.

(I'm still amazed that this stuff didn't corrode in the trunk of my car so many years ago).

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Berks County)

I still have a couple hundred rounds of 1930's vintage 8mm Mauser....no problems.

Have about 100 rounds of 1920's military match .30-06....no problem with any of that stuff either.

Cool and Dry.....can't beat ammo cans for long term ammo storage.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Lawrence County)

ok, so is the carry ammo more prone to corrosion? I carry federal ammo 9mm for carry everyday. It goes from 72 degrees to 32 back upto 72 DAILY. What kind of life can I expect from this ammunition? I've had it in my gun for about 5 or 6 months now... should I discard it soon and buy new?

and by discard i mean shoot.
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Westmoreland County)

I would say most if any problems older carry ammo, would be cycling but most company’s Personal protection Ammo, has a Nickel case or are coated like Hornady TAP, I have shot a lot of War surplus. From the 40s and never had a problem, some of that was picked up at auctions and who knows how it was kept.

(Tioga County)

Carry ammo is exposed to a harsher environment than ammo stored on a shelf. sweat, body oils, dust, dirt. etc. I rotate my carry stuff every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    ok, so is the carry ammo more prone to corrosion? I carry federal ammo 9mm for carry everyday. It goes from 72 degrees to 32 back upto 72 DAILY. What kind of life can I expect from this ammunition? I've had it in my gun for about 5 or 6 months now... should I discard it soon and buy new?

and by discard i mean shoot.
    USNRET '61-'81

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast