Home // News Wednesday, April 18, 2007 6:40 P.M.

Delaney on game commission

State Senate confirms Wilkes-Barre man for northeast spot on board.

TOM VENESKY tvenesky@timesleader.com

On Tuesday, Wilkes-Barre resident Jay Delaney spent the day sitting in the audience watching the Pennsylvania Game Commission board meeting in Harrisburg. At the same time, the state Senate was getting ready to give Delaney a seat at the board table.

By a unanimous vote Tuesday afternoon, the Senate approved Gov. Ed Rendell’s nomination of Delaney to fill the vacant northeast commissioner’s seat. The vote concludes a process that began about 15 months ago when Delaney, who is a captain with the Wilkes-Barre Fire Department, applied for the seat. It has been vacant since last summer when the term of former commissioner John Riley expired.

“Now it’s time to go to work,” Delaney said. “I spent Tuesday listening to 29 people speak to the commissioners about their concerns, and I’m ready to build bridges and create solutions.”

Delaney, a founding member of the Northeast PA Chapter of Pheasants Forever, was one of the top three candidates referred to Rendell by the Governor’s Advisory Council for Hunting, Fishing & Conservation. The council interviewed all applicants and Delaney came out on top, according to state Sen. Raphael Musto.

Musto, D-Pittston Township, said he was confident the right person got the job. Commissioners establish seasons and bag limits, approve antlerless license allocations and land acquisition along with other hunting regulations and policies.

Delaney has a list of issues he would like to address, including deer management, access to hunting areas, small-game numbers and youth hunting opportunities. Before he tackles those issues, however, Delaney said he is going to continue to meet with sportsmen and women in the region to find out their concerns.

Pittston resident Ed Grasavage, a member of the Governor’s Advisory Council for Hunting, Fishing & Conservation, was glad to hear Delaney is willing to listen to hunters. Aside from deer management, Grasavage would like to see Delaney address habitat improvement on State Game Lands and the financial crisis the agency is facing.

“The council felt he was the most highly qualified candidate and I look forward to working with him,” Grasavage said. “When it comes to deer management, it’s important to make sure the sportsmen and women aren’t overlooked, and I think Jay realizes that.”

The commission’s deer program has long been a contentious issue with hunters. Many in the northeast have expressed dismay over a deer herd they say is dwindling, while others believe the herd reduction is needed to improve forest health.

Delaney said he is aware of the controversial issues the commission faces, but he added there is a silver lining within the agency.

“It’s not all doom and gloom. There are a lot of positives with this agency and all of the groups that are vocal all have one common cause – to make our sport better,” he said. “I’m confident things will work out.”

Delaney will be sworn in by Rendell and his first action as commissioner will be at the game commission’s June 25 and 26 meeting in Harrisburg.