Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Liberals told to leave Oklahoma Hunting Safety Course

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...1_Thirte498540

Liberals told to leave

by: RANDY KREHBIEL World Staff Writer
    Saturday, March 07, 2009
    3/7/2009 3:06:11 AM

Thirteen-year-old Lane Dunkley just wanted to go hunting with his grandfather.

What he got was a lecture on politics.

Dunkley and his father, Daniel Reddy, who live in Tulsa, went to Broken Arrow on Tuesday night for a hunter safety course normally required to get an Oklahoma hunting license.

The class was a reward of sorts. Dunkley, who wants to go hunting with his grandfather, was told he could take the class only if he brought up his grades.

So he did — to a B-plus average.

But when father and son arrived at the lesson, the volunteer instructor, Kell Wolf, asked if any of the students voted for President Barack Obama.

Reddy, a transplanted Californian — and former Marine — raised his hand.

According to Reddy and others in the room, Wolf called Obama "the next thing to the Antichrist" and ordered Reddy and Dunkley from the room. When Reddy refused, Wolf said he would not teach "liberals" and would cancel the course if Reddy didn't leave.

So Reddy and Dunkley left, as did a few others.

Lance Meek, hunter education coordinator for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, said Wolf had been a volunteer instructor for "a long time, probably 15 years or more" and "from what we've heard and observed, had always done a great job. He worked with the kids really well."

But when Meek received a call Wednesday morning — from someone other than the Reddys — he said he had no choice.

"I got the call at 8:30, and by 9 o'clock (Wolf) was no longer a volunteer for us."

Contacted on Friday, Wolf had no comment on the matter. Meek said he talked briefly to Wolf on Wednesday, and that Wolf did not deny ordering Reddy from the class or offer an explanation.

Lane Dunkley said the situation made him angry.

"This was a big deal for me because my grandpa doesn't have a lot of time to hunt anymore," he said. "I rarely get to hang out with my grandfather.

"I thought I would never be able to get my license."

Stacy Reddy, Daniel Reddy's wife and Lane Dunkley's mother, said the family was surprised by how quickly the wildlife department acted.

"Lance Meek called and apologized up and down and wanted to know what they could do to make it right," she said.

"The only thing we really wanted was for my son to be able to take the hunter safety course, and there wasn't another one in the Tulsa area with an opening for the rest of 2009."

So Meek arranged for a private class

"They called and said they'd meet us any time, anywhere," said Daniel Reddy. "Their response has been exemplary. It has really restored my faith in government."

Meek and Stacy Reddy said it illustrates how difficult the ongoing changes in the federal government are for some Oklahomans.

"I realize a lot of people are unhappy right now," said Stacy Reddy, "but this was something my son worked his tail off to do."

Meek sounded grieved that a long-time volunteer with a spotless record seemed to have veered so suddenly off the tracks.

"It's a shame. What he did is definitely not all right with us," Meek said, "but his heart has been in the right place for a long, long time."

Hmmmmmm...

I'd say that the instructor went off the deep end here. Yes, Obama is a threat to gun ownership, but when you work for the government, you gotta do the job. If this was his own private course, he could do whatever he wants...but when it's a governement agency funded by tax dollars, they have to be open to everyone.

It's good to see the kid was able to take the hunting course after this mess. The last thing we need is more people turned off shooting sports.

Default Re: Liberals told to leave Oklahoma Hunting Safety Course

The other view of this is that he put his money where his mouth was and made an irreversible decision.

You may disagree with his action, but you have to admire his determination and sheer chutzpah.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...1_Thirte498540

Hmmmmmm...

I'd say that the instructor went off the deep end here. Yes, Obama is a threat to gun ownership, but when you work for the government, you gotta do the job. If this was his own private course, he could do whatever he wants...but when it's a governement agency funded by tax dollars, they have to be open to everyone.

It's good to see the kid was able to take the hunting course after this mess. The last thing we need is more people turned off shooting sports.
    Only problem is if the shoe was on the other foot, he would probably he praised as a hero standing up against neo-cons or some other tripe.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berks_Iraq_Vet View Post
    Only problem is if the shoe was on the other foot, he would probably he praised as a hero standing up against neo-cons or some other tripe.
    No doubt! When teachers spew political tripe during a class, that is considered "free speech" and within the bounds of "teacher's discretion."

I guess the big difference here is that he kicked them out of the class.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berks_Iraq_Vet View Post
    While I tend to agree that this may be true, it doesn't make the instructors actions any less shameful.

I would have left too, and I'm not an Obama supporter.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Lehigh County)

I just had an MOSQ student who worked the Campaign trail with/for BHO. I wanted to send him home but I couldn't find anything in the Army Regs about political affiliation/differences with the cadre being grounds for dismissal from the course.

I think I will write a new SOP and sneak it through the approval process.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Anyone else wonder why the kid has a different last name from either of his parents?

(Allegheny County)

i think it would be a better tactic to welcome "liberals" into hunter safety courses than to run them out.

in my experience, the best way to get someone to support gun rights is to get them to have fun shooting guns (whether via hunting or whatever).

reinforcing the stereotype of gun owners being ranting, raving "gun nuts" is probably not in our best interest.
    F*S=k

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i think it would be a better tactic to welcome "liberals" into hunter safety courses than to run them out.

in my experience, the best way to get someone to support gun rights is to get them to have fun shooting guns (whether via hunting or whatever).

reinforcing the stereotype of gun owners being ranting, raving "gun nuts" is probably not in our best interest.
    Another slam dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Anyone else wonder why the kid has a different last name from either of his parents?
    I was wondering the same thing!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast