Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moving from Ohio to Pittsburgh area

I'll be moving from Ohio to the Pittsburgh area. I currently have an Ohio concealed carry permit. I understand that my permit isn't valid in PA. I also understand that if I get a PA permit, it won't be valid in Ohio. I searched the forum postings and couldn't find answers to all of my questions. I also visited the Allegheny county PA Sheriff site for CCW and was left with more questions than answers. I'm hoping I can get some answers here.

1. The Sheriff's web site days you must list two references that live in PA on the permit application. Problem is that I don't know anyone there except where I would be employed. I would not feel comfortable asking anyone at my employer, especially as a new employee, to allow me to use them as a reference on a CCW permit application. Is there any way around having to list two PA residents for references for people who just moved to PA?

2. Does the fact that I already have an Ohio CCW permit allow me in some way to get around that two PA references requirement?

3. Exactly when will I be considered a PA "resident"? I'll get an apartment in the Pittsburgh area, but will be going home on weekends in Ohio until we sell our house and the whole family can move to PA. While I'm going back and forth between PA and OH, would I be eligible to apply for a PA permit as a resident.

4. Can I get a PA permit as a non-resident until I am fully moved from Ohio to PA?

5. Can you recommend a good CCW attorney in the Pittsburgh area?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Moving from Ohio to Pittsburgh area

I can't help with all your questions, but I'm pretty sure that despite what the website says there's nothing legally that says your two references need to be from PA. You could use anybody.

If you really wanted to have PA references then come to the range with a bunch of us and I'm sure people would be more than happy to give you an endorsement.

I'll let the legal minded folks answer the rest, but you're really lucky to be moving to the Pittsburgh area. We have monthly group shoots, lots of dinners and get-togethers, and a fantastic club to shoot at.

Really, when it comes down to PAFOA events the Pittsburgh area has got it going on and the rest of the state just can't compare to our awsome glory.

Let us know when you get here and we'll get together and shoot some steel, or rifles, or trap.

Glad to have you aboard.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mredhorsey View Post
    I'll be moving from Ohio to the Pittsburgh area.
    Welcome to the Forum, and to the Pittsburgh area! You'll like it here, I promise!

Before we go any further, let's get your terminology correct: In Pennsylvania, you are issued a License to Carry Firearms, which gives you the privilege of concealing your weapon, transporting it in a vehicle, carrying it during a state of emergency or open carrying it in a City of the First Class (Of which we only have one at this time, Philadelphia). We do not issue "CWP" or "CCW" permits.

Also, Open Carry while on foot is legal without a LTCF. If you hold the equivalent document from ANY state, not just a reciprocal one, you are exempted from the restrictions on Vehicle Carry. So, since you hold an Ohio CCW permit, you can carry in your vehicle and you can Open Carry, but you cannot conceal carry.

Read this to learn the specific off-limits places for carry in PA (They are different from Ohio):
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

1. The Sheriff's web site days you must list two references that live in PA on the permit application. Problem is that I don't know anyone there except where I would be employed.
    When I applied for my LTCF I only knew a few people in PA that I was comfortable putting down. One of my references was from out of state, and they had no problem with it.

If they complain, point out that you just moved here and don't know anyone here yet. There is no LEGAL requirement in the law that your references must be PA residents.

2. Does the fact that I already have an Ohio CCW permit allow me in some way to get around that two PA references requirement?
    Probably not, but like I said above, there is no requirement in the law that they BE PA residents.

3. Exactly when will I be considered a PA "resident"?
    You will be a PA resident once you hold a PA Drivers License, which you have 15 days to get, once your primary residence (the home you spend the most time in) is in PA .

4. Can I get a PA permit as a non-resident until I am fully moved from Ohio to PA?
    Yes.
    http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi.../non-residents

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    Welcome to the Forum, and to the Pittsburgh area! You'll like it here, I promise!

Before we go any further, let's get your terminology correct: In Pennsylvania, you are issued a License to Carry Firearms, which gives you the privilege of concealing your weapon, transporting it in a vehicle, carrying it during a state of emergency or open carrying it in a City of the First Class (Of which we only have one at this time, Philadelphia). We do not issue "CWP" or "CCW" permits.

Also, Open Carry while on foot is legal without a LTCF. If you hold the equivalent document from ANY state, not just a reciprocal one, you are exempted from the restrictions on Vehicle Carry. So, since you hold an Ohio CCW permit, you can carry in your vehicle and you can Open Carry, but you cannot conceal carry.

Read this to learn the specific off-limits places for carry in PA (They are different from Ohio):
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

When I applied for my LTCF I only knew a few people in PA that I was comfortable putting down. One of my references was from out of state, and they had no problem with it.

If they complain, point out that you just moved here and don't know anyone here yet. There is no LEGAL requirement in the law that your references must be PA residents.

Probably not, but like I said above, there is no requirement in the law that they BE PA residents.

You will be a PA resident once you hold a PA Drivers License, which you have 15 days to get, once your primary residence (the home you spend the most time in) is in PA .

Yes.
    http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi.../non-residents

I would recommend talking to someone in Ohio, an attorney or someone who handles the permits, about the bolded point. As far as I know, Ohio does not issue non-resident permits. You will need to find out about the validity of your permit once you establish PA residency.

(Butler County)

Welcome to the forum. A lot of fine and knowledgeable people here.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    I would recommend talking to someone in Ohio, an attorney or someone who handles the permits, about the bolded point.
    No need. Pa. allows vehicle carry with a license from ANY state.

18Pa.C.S.6106(b)(11)
    11. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post

18Pa.C.S.6106(b)(11)
    I understand that. My concern was once he moves, does his permit become invalid because he is no longer a resident and Ohio doesn't issue non-resident permits? I didn't want to see someone get jammed up because they thought they were covered but they weren't.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post

18Pa.C.S.6106(b)(11)
    I understand that. My concern was once he moves, does his permit become invalid because he is no longer a resident and Ohio doesn't issue non-resident permits? I didn't want to see someone get jammed up because they thought they were covered but they weren't.
    While IANAL - I dont see residency requirements in that statue - simply possession if a license meets the requiremetns. Again IANAL, however I read it as good to go. Im not sure how Ohio would handle the validity of their permit once he moves though. Unless its revoked it would still be valid (unless of course there is language in Ohio's laws automatically nullifying their permit.... of course, isnt the family staying behind? Id try to claim dual residency for awhile anyway)

(Luzerne County)

Ah. I think dobe was referring to the time while he is still an OH resident.

To address the OP's situation. Obviously the easiest thing to do if his residency is going to be in limbo is get the Pa. non-res license. But with the info the OP posted I assume he should be able to get his Pa. drivers license a soon as he moves here (despite having the house in OH still) and therefor get his resident LTCF.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
    While IANAL - I dont see residency requirements in that statue - simply possession if a license meets the requiremetns. Again IANAL, however I read it as good to go. Im not sure how Ohio would handle the validity of their permit once he moves though. Unless its revoked it would still be valid (unless of course there is language in Ohio's laws automatically nullifying their permit.... of course, isnt the family staying behind? Id try to claim dual residency for awhile anyway)
    The statute doesn't mention residency requirement, but it does specify a valid license. If his Ohio license becomes invalid because he is no longer an Ohio resident, then he doesn't meet the requirements of the PA statute. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast