Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Do we have to report stolen guns in PA>?

Do we have to report stolen guns in PA>?
    handguns, rifles, shotguns, my biceps?

And if indeed we do need to report a stolen gun, to whom must we make the report to and within what time frame?

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Do we have to report stolen guns in PA>?

Yes and no.

State law says no, and preemption should mean that that's the final answer.

Unfortunately, some municipalities believe that the law does not apply to them, and have enacted lost/stolen gun ordinances... reporting guidelines vary by jurisdiction.

Granted, those laws are against the law, so I'd say that there is no legal requirement anywhere in PA to report lost/stolen guns... though be prepared to fight a court battle over it.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

If your gun was stolen...why wouldn't you want to report it? I guess some places are saying they'll (illegally) revoke your LTCF if you do...but other than that concern, why not?

(Centre County)

Do you have to, no, not necessarily, there's nothing that says that you have to report any theft of your personal property. If you do report it you would report it to the law enforcement agency that serves your location. No difference than if you had anything stolen from you. If you have insurance you have to report it if you want your insurance to cover the loss.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; March 9th, 2009 at 08:05 AM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Although it is not required, I would report the theft of my gun(s). I would consider the possibility if the stolen gun were used in a crime. The gun would be traced to you. What do you do when that happens?

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: Do we have to report stolen guns in PA>?

Upon moving to PA and getting everything unpacked I noticed a pistol missing..I spent two weeks tearing everything apart trying to find the gun..Not only did I report it missing to police in Pa, but I did so in Md as well since I did not know where it was missing/stolen from..We had help moving!
    It was my suspicion that my sis-inlaw's BF, whom I just didn't like had something to do with it. He was the only one that had access to the gun other than myself.

So, to answer the OP question. I WOULD report my gun stolen as soon as I realize its missing. If its stolen and used in a crime, wouldn't you want a police report saying that is was stolen PRIOR to the crime? You have to cover your a$$ as best you can...

I didn't report it to my ins. co. since the gun value was less than my deductable.

(Lancaster County)

If there is a chance I could get my stolen firearm back. Hell yes I would report it. Just the same if someone stole my vehicle.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

(Luzerne County)

Just to point out that reporting a gun stolen will NOT prevent it from being used in a crime.
    Not sure why people make this assumption.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Just to point out that reporting a gun stolen will NOT prevent it from being used in a crime.
    Not sure why people make this assumption.
    I don't think that's the case, but if that gun ends up at the head of another person right before the trigger is pulled, when the police come to investigate you at that point it certainly would look better on you to say "No, I reported that gun stolen years ago, here's the report." vs "Oh yeah, that gun was stolen years ago. No, I didn't tell anyone. Of course I had nothing to do with the murder, I didn't even have the gun at the time! I didn't tell anyone that it was stolen, because it was none of your friggin business. No, I most certainly did not sell it to a convicted felon, it was stolen. Whattaya mean you're taking me in for questioning???"

Seriously, I don't get why you wouldn't report it stolen. If its used in a crime you probably will get a ride to your local PD, but at least you won't look quite so suspicious as if you just kept your mouth shut about it.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    I don't think that's the case, but if that gun ends up at the head of another person right before the trigger is pulled, when the police come to investigate you at that point it certainly would look better on you to say "No, I reported that gun stolen years ago, here's the report." vs "Oh yeah, that gun was stolen years ago. No, I didn't tell anyone. Of course I had nothing to do with the murder, I didn't even have the gun at the time! I didn't tell anyone that it was stolen, because it was none of your friggin business. No, I most certainly did not sell it to a convicted felon, it was stolen. Whattaya mean you're taking me in for questioning???"

Seriously, I don't get why you wouldn't report it stolen. If its used in a crime you probably will get a ride to your local PD, but at least you won't look quite so suspicious as if you just kept your mouth shut about it.

camper
    I didn't say not to report it. I said exactly what I said. Reporting a gun stolen will not prevent it from being used in a crime.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast