Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Lancaster County)

Default Goundhog hunting tips

I am new to hunting groundhogs and have a few questions. Is there a time of day that is better? What about weather? Cloudy or sunny...does it matter?
    I was out this afternoon around 1:00. It was overcast and breezy. I sat in a hedgerow between two fields for several hours and didn't see a single hog. There are plenty of fresh holes around the edges of both fields.
    Maybe it was just an off day.
    Any information is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Brian
    Last edited by cameraman; April 19th, 2007 at 09:45 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Groundhog hunting tips

in my experience, they are much less active when it is wet out, very rarely out in the rain, and not out as much after the rain. i alos notice a lot more activity when its warmer out.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Goundhog hunting tips

In the heat of the summer you'll see them more in the morning and evening. They'll be out more during the middle of the day at this time of year when it's warmer out.

It may not be quite warm enough yet for them to really get moving. This weekend is looking like some really good days for groundhog hunting.

(Allegheny County)

I got my first groundhog of the year today, about 11:30. i went out to try and get the turkey who is tearing up the cars (another thread) and caught him out of the corner of my eye. About 40 yards with a Mossberg 500, average turkey loads.

At our place they are always out in the morning and night, and usually on the warmer days. Ours don't really care about the rain too much as long as it is warm enough, but they love to sit in the sun.

As far as everything elst, i won't be of much help. My shots are all close enough for shotgun and I don't do a whole lot of prep work of stalking. I just bring the shotgun in the mornings when I feed the horses and shoot if I get the chance.

Brian

I find mornings and evenings best , also I find it better after the grass/hay/whatever has been mowed,they seem to not like the harder stiffer veggies , I also find after a rain a good time and they seem to despise the brutal heat of the dog days.
    And one more thing perhaps I should keep to myself , but look at the entrance of the hole , if there are flies present the hole is active , I am sure you will find some flyless holes but the flies tell me it's active.

(Berks County)

Best time to get a groundhog for me seems to be when I DON"T have anything handy to kill the SOB living under my shed tearing it up.

Out he scurries right in front of me giving me the middle paw...all I can do is watch and cuss.

The war continues........
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Allegheny County)

Well I smoked 3 of them to day before and right after rain today
    Gun Control means using both HANDS!!!

(Lancaster County)

I seen like 4 more today while sitting on my girlfriends front porch looking at the farmer mowing down a field yesterday....these aren't critters they are super critters....they just seem to disappear as soon as you see them!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Franklin County)

i wanted to update you guys...seems like my luck is finally coming around....ive shot 4 hogs in the last 3 weeks...2 each time i went out...so im happy, but im starting to see a trend...days that are cloudy and cooler seem to be when they are most active. on the hotter days with the scorching sun seems to keep them holed up all day. even at 8 or 9 am they arent coming out til probably evening, but on those cloudier days we're seeing them munching on clover at 1 and 2 in the afternoon. so keep that in mind...
    "Hunting is a privilege, owning a gun is a right" ~ someone from outdoor life magazine..

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Groundhog hunting tips

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    I am new to hunting groundhogs and have a few questions. Is there a time of day that is better? What about weather? Cloudy or sunny...does it matter?
    I was out this afternoon around 1:00. It was overcast and breezy. I sat in a hedgerow between two fields for several hours and didn't see a single hog. There are plenty of fresh holes around the edges of both fields.
    Maybe it was just an off day.
    Any information is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Brian
    can you hunt groundhog when the file that have been plowed and when the fildes still have corn cute down allen.hunsinger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast