Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Long Range Scope

Hey all, I have recently been spreading the blood of groundhogs across the local fields and find myself missing some long-range, in my eyes, shots around 400-500 yards. I am currently using a handloaded .223 that I feel very good about. 55 Grain Nosler bullet, but I am thinking maybe a better scope will help. I'm currently using a bushnell 6-18, but I would like to get a mildot scope with good glass, any suggestions for reasonable money? Or any advice on striking flesh at long ranges? Thanks a bundle.
    " If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger gun"

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Long Range Scope

Make sure you compensate for the wind at that range. A 55gr bullet at that range is very much affected by the wind.

I would recommend a scope with target turrets. There are quite a few scopes out there that will allow you to hit targets at that range, recommendations are hard without knowing how much you want to spend.

If you have a smaller budget - I recently got an Apex Tactical 6-25x50 GMIR http://www.apextacticalllc.com/products_2.html for my R700. I have not had it long enough to rave about it, but so far it has exceeded my expectations. I will be doing some testing with this scope in the next few weeks.

Check out www.swfa.com they have quite a few scopes that will meet your needs. (stay away from anything Barska or NC Star)

If you have deeper pockets, Nightforce or Leupold tactical scopes.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Union County)

Arrow Re: Long Range Scope

A mil-dot reticle is NOT a good answer. These are usually too thick to use in a precision application like hunting at long range on small critters. And unless you are going to use it to range things, they are the last choice for a hunting rig IMO. Fine crosshair or duplex (which can also be used to range things but less cluttered) On top of the fact that most Mildots are calibrated in mils and turret adjustments are in MOA makes for a lot of calculating and converting. (mil reticles w/ mil turrets don't exist below $500 that I am aware of...) Get yourself a decent LRF and figure out your dope. Hogs will drop like rain when you get this dialed in. And unless you are culling these hogs for damage, you are shooting yourself in the foot as far as managing your target population. I try to refrain from shooting chucks for sport until mid-late May when all the youngin's are able to take care of themselves. Enjoy!

(Lawrence County)

I use a Tasco 6-24x42 mil-dot scope, it's a target/varmint model that i picked up for about 80 bucks on OpticsPlanet... For general shooting, it is a great scope. With the adjustable objective and target turrets, it clears up a lot of problems your basic $30 off the shelf Wal-Mart scope will have at longer ranges. I have it mounted on my Savage 110 in .243 and with the bi-pod, makes it one bada$$ looking rifle that shoots accurately if I do my job right. The hardest part of shooting long ranges is wind drift providing you, as the shooter, are capable of shooting that far as not many people can. I've seen a lot of people that think 200 yards is the most comfortable distance away that they are willing to shoot.

To fix your distance problem, unfortunately you are going to have to rethink your choice of bullet selection, which your rifle may or may not handle. The heavier bullets will have a higher BC (ballistic coefficient) which will help buck the wind better. The 75 and 77 grainers are great at bucking the wind, but most rifles don't have the rate of twist needed to stabilize the heavier bullets. Another option would be to carry a different rifle in a different caliber for the longer range shots.

But the most important thing to remember is to get to the range and practice at the yardage you will be shooting. Not all rifles can hit a 12 inch target at 500 yards, sometimes it's just not possible. Sometimes, something simple such as using a different brand of case or primer can make a big difference, experiment a little... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

Aside from what others have said, you won't know if your rifle can handle that distance unless you put good glass on it and shoot it.

If you want a Mil/Mil scope, Falcon Optics has one for $475. It comes with the ML16 reticle which would be thin enough for your appilcation.

http://www.rwsnydergunsmithing.com/secure-rwsnydergunsmithing/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=55

If you don't have the cash for that one, check out the Bushnell Elite models.

-Burnsie

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by PBArcher8 View Post
    Hey all, I have recently been spreading the blood of groundhogs across the local fields and find myself missing some long-range, in my eyes, shots around 400-500 yards. I am currently using a handloaded .223 that I feel very good about. 55 Grain Nosler bullet, but I am thinking maybe a better scope will help. I'm currently using a bushnell 6-18, but I would like to get a mildot scope with good glass, any suggestions for reasonable money? Or any advice on striking flesh at long ranges? Thanks a bundle.
    A price range would be good to know also.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Union County)

Arrow Re: Long Range Scope

Falcon menace...yeah, good luck finding one first....and while my groundhog hunting experience is limited w/ a FFP scope, I'm gonna guess it probably ain't the very best choice for a small target either due to the size of the reticle at the higher power. Those Tascos are half decent, I have an older one from when they were made in Japan, good stuff. On a groundhog gun, nothing tops a simple, fine crosshair. Actually, if you watch the classifieds on Snipershide, Falcons come up everyonce in awhile. Start watching now cuz when the Vortex's finally start shipping, you're gonna see a flood of decent, mid-priced glass on the used market for sale. May is my guess. Hear me now and believe me later.

Quote Originally Posted by PBArcher8 View Post
    Not sure what the twist of your barrel is, but at 400-500yards, I'd say you are better off using a heavier bullet. If you can get your rifle to shoot something in the 75-77gr, that would be better at your intended ranges.

Your current 18x power is fine for the ranges that you are asking about. now the optical clarity will probably not be so good on your Bushnell compared to other scopes.

The poster that mentioned MD and FFP not being good choices is correct. MD is used to help range targets at unknown distances. FFP is not a good choice for smaller targets. As far as reticles are concerned, you should look for a MD variant like the IOR MP8 reticle or NF MLR, NP R1 that use hash marks instead of the dots. The dots cover up too much of the target.

Not sure what your budget is, but don't skimp on optics. So many have said how great the Wonder Optics IE Wotac scopes were, so I took a chance...that thing is a POS, even though the company replaced my first scope under warranty.

IMO, the best budget glass is from Vortex. They have high end glass as well, but if you get the Crossfire series, you will be happy with your purchase. If you can, plan on spending at least $300 on glass...if you can afford $100 more, I say get the Vortex Viper. I have one and it's a very good scope for the money.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    A mil-dot reticle is NOT a good answer. These are usually too thick to use in a precision application like hunting at long range on small critters. And unless you are going to use it to range things, they are the last choice for a hunting rig IMO. Fine crosshair or duplex (which can also be used to range things but less cluttered) On top of the fact that most Mildots are calibrated in mils and turret adjustments are in MOA makes for a lot of calculating and converting. (mil reticles w/ mil turrets don't exist below $500 that I am aware of...) Get yourself a decent LRF and figure out your dope. Hogs will drop like rain when you get this dialed in. And unless you are culling these hogs for damage, you are shooting yourself in the foot as far as managing your target population. I try to refrain from shooting chucks for sport until mid-late May when all the youngin's are able to take care of themselves. Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Aside from what others have said, you won't know if your rifle can handle that distance unless you put good glass on it and shoot it.

If you want a Mil/Mil scope, Falcon Optics has one for $475. It comes with the ML16 reticle which would be thin enough for your appilcation.

http://www.rwsnydergunsmithing.com/secure-rwsnydergunsmithing/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=55

If you don't have the cash for that one, check out the Bushnell Elite models.

-Burnsie
    Mil/Mil scopes are important if the shooter "thinks" in meters and not yards. If the shooter zeros his rifle in yards (most civilian ranges are in yds.)then Mil/MOA adjustments are acceptable. When shooting at this and longer ranges, there is math involved. There really is no way around it.

Not all mil dots reticles are too big to use for varmint hunting. The reticle on my Apex Tactical was the final selling point. Ghost mil dots in a SFP scope are very small and do not obscure a target. (even on as small as a ground hog at 4-500 yds.

ETA: I will try to get some through the scope pics posted later today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lebanon County)

Your rifle is no better than your sighting system. Put a good piece of glass on it and learn how to use it. I'm not trying to sound condescending here but having learned firsthand from someone who knows what he's doing I'm passing along what I consider to be good information.
    My dad and his friends do a lot of groundhog hunting with wildcat cartridges and 1000 yards is considered an easy shot. It gets more challenging beyond 1500 yards, and 2000 yards isn't out of the question. Mil dot scopes are as worthless to him as a .25 caliber pistol for what he's doing. His preferred and recommended scope is Leupold 6-24X with a fine crosshair and target turrets. You have to learn how to adjust the scope for distance, so many turns plus so many clicks at any specific distance. Hold right on and touch the trigger. It's not something that you go out and do the first or second time out, there is definite math and science involved but once you understand it the adjustments are quick and easy. We were shooting clay pigeons (sitting on the berm) at 500 meters with my .222 and it got boring, it was too easy to hit them. You need good optics with a crosshair that doesn't obstruct your target. A thick crosshair or a mil-dot will cover way too much at long distances. 1500 yards is more than ¾ of a mile, anything but a fine crosshair will completely cover your target and what's around it at distances like that.
    Get good quality glass with a fine crosshair and easily adjustable turrets, settle on one specific load and learn how to adjust for trajectory and windage. A good spotter with a good spotting scope to call your shots for you is a must as well, it's a team effort when you're shooting small targets at long range.
    If you're shooting less than 500 yards you can get by with a less expensive scope but in my honest opinion there's nothing that compares to high quality optics with fine hairs and easily adjustable turrets and knowing how to use your equipment.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast