Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Goundhog hunting tips

I am new to hunting groundhogs and have a few questions. Is there a time of day that is better? What about weather? Cloudy or sunny...does it matter?
    I was out this afternoon around 1:00. It was overcast and breezy. I sat in a hedgerow between two fields for several hours and didn't see a single hog. There are plenty of fresh holes around the edges of both fields.
    Maybe it was just an off day.
    Any information is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Brian
    Last edited by cameraman; April 19th, 2007 at 09:45 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Groundhog hunting tips

in my experience, they are much less active when it is wet out, very rarely out in the rain, and not out as much after the rain. i alos notice a lot more activity when its warmer out.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Goundhog hunting tips

In the heat of the summer you'll see them more in the morning and evening. They'll be out more during the middle of the day at this time of year when it's warmer out.

It may not be quite warm enough yet for them to really get moving. This weekend is looking like some really good days for groundhog hunting.

(Allegheny County)

I got my first groundhog of the year today, about 11:30. i went out to try and get the turkey who is tearing up the cars (another thread) and caught him out of the corner of my eye. About 40 yards with a Mossberg 500, average turkey loads.

At our place they are always out in the morning and night, and usually on the warmer days. Ours don't really care about the rain too much as long as it is warm enough, but they love to sit in the sun.

As far as everything elst, i won't be of much help. My shots are all close enough for shotgun and I don't do a whole lot of prep work of stalking. I just bring the shotgun in the mornings when I feed the horses and shoot if I get the chance.

Brian

I find mornings and evenings best , also I find it better after the grass/hay/whatever has been mowed,they seem to not like the harder stiffer veggies , I also find after a rain a good time and they seem to despise the brutal heat of the dog days.
    And one more thing perhaps I should keep to myself , but look at the entrance of the hole , if there are flies present the hole is active , I am sure you will find some flyless holes but the flies tell me it's active.

(Berks County)

Best time to get a groundhog for me seems to be when I DON"T have anything handy to kill the SOB living under my shed tearing it up.

Out he scurries right in front of me giving me the middle paw...all I can do is watch and cuss.

The war continues........
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Luzerne County)

Scout and find active holes (they will be fresh dirt/rocks around it-they NEVER stop digging). Flies are a good sign too as WMG mentioned.

Make it a point to observe the general area around the holes on a regular basis, preferably from a good distance.

Always have access to a decent rifle/shotgun/pistol capable of taking one out at your anticipated distance of encounter.

If you kick one out and he holes, stay put and and silent/motionless for 15-20 minutes.....chances are good he will poke his head out for a recon look.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Bucks County)

I have found that they prefer early morning and late afternoon. After a heavy dew or rain is good.
    Middle of the day heat they stay in their holes. Do you want to be out in 90+ heat?
    BTW unofficial groundhog season for the dedicated chuck hunters starts on Memorial Day. That gives the young ones plenty of time to learn how to fend for themselves.
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Franklin County)

i find that they are much more active around 9 and 10am in the morning...at least in the summer time, i dont know what that equates to in the spring. like pukindog said, may is typically the unofficial starting month. and they do prefer nice sunny days to cool, wet or windy days. right now they will be foraging heavy on the nice green grass. corn, wheat and other crops arent sprouted yet where i live, but they will feed on those too once they do sprout..keep that in mind

(Lebanon County)

Take a buddy, make some rounds of the farm. If you see some, shoot, and if you hit, good, if you miss, come back in a half hour or so. If nothing's happening, find a nice shady spot and sit, wait, and tell lies to each other.

I've always had the best luck in the morning or evening, mostly the evening. After it rains, they are out more too, I believe.

If you spook one, and he holes, put your crosshairs on the hole and wait for a good five minutes. I've shot quite a few who stuck their nose up to see if I was still there.

By the way, a .270 round will go through a few inches of dirt and still have enough power to liquefy his brains.
    Flag of the Pennsylvania First Rifle Regiment.
    -Known as the "Widowmakers" by the British
    -"Domari Nolo"-Latin-"I will not be dominated"

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast