Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Groundhog hunting tips

now that is f ing funny!!

Lol, I don't know about that lovel, I suppose it would depend on the bullet and how it delivers that kinetic energy. Prairie dogs that I hit with a .22-250 using sierra blitzkings make the same affect for alot cheaper. I've seen video of the varmint grenades and the literally liquify prairie dogs, I don't know how they'd do on a ground hog. They make them in the .22 caliber and .243 varieties. http://youtube.com/watch?v=sYigC49tnh8&feature=related

P.S. In care you're not familiar with Dog be gone, they make some awesome DVD's. Here's some footage of them in the second video actually using a .50 BMG on prairie dogs, gophers, chucks, etc. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ppx-kDb1xi4&feature=related
    Last edited by Tomcat088; June 23rd, 2008 at 01:21 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Goundhog hunting tips

I got one this morning in the back yard (that makes 7 total so far since June first). I first saw him in the grass about 10AM. I see a lot of them between 9 and 10 this time of year. He moved closer to the trees, then climbed one to look at me over a branch about 15' off the ground. He came back down, stood on his back feet leaning against the tree on my side, so I gave him a heart attack with my .17HMR. I love the .17HMR cartridge for 100 yard and closer GH shots in the back yard. I prefer the CZ American .22 Hornet as a walk around rifle. It is light, accurate, and relatively easy to hit them out to 160+ yards with it off shooting sticks.

That was the third one this week.

Earlier in the week I shot one crossing the back pasture around 7 AM - my wife shot one in the back yard. I seldom see them in the evenings, though others around here have seen them in the evening.

I tend to use the least rifle that will get the job done. I reload for accuracy. 17HMR, .22 Hornet (35g V-MAX), .223 Remington (40g V-max or 55g Nosler BT), and for very long shots a .22-250 (55g V-max).

Fitch

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: Groundhog hunting tips

I whacked seven late today with my .22 Marlin bolt for a change and it was suprisingly a lot more fun than hitting them with my .223.

1. Choose a weapon you're comfortable with then zero it in. Practice,Practice,Practice...

2. Proper attire: Camo shirt and trousers, blaze orange hat, comfortable footwear.

3. Good pair of binoculars (the lighter the better)

4. Bi-pod or shooting sticks (you can make your own with a dowel from Home Depot or Lowe's)

5. If you'll be shooting long range bring a small folding chair, something you can carry or back pack. This will help you better stabilize your rifle when ready to shoot and it feels good to sit down too.

6. Range finder is a great tool if you can afford one. But you can manage without one.

7. Back pack or fanny pack for your stuff, Ammo, Binocs, range finder, drink, snack, cell phone etc...

8. Valid PA Hunting license.

First thing you should do is check out some farms with low lying crops or newly harvested greens like alfalfa hogs loves it. Then knock on doors, but don't go dressed in camo, wear normal everyday clothing it makes a better impression. Farmers dislike ground hogs and might even give you permission to hunt other game if you behave yourself.

O.K. Hogs live to eat! I haven't killed one yet that wasn't in middle of a meal.
    I saw a post on here saying they don't like rain, maybe not a down pour but a light rain they will be out there munching away. I prefer not to hunt them in the rain, but have. It does allow you to walk alot quieter when the fields are wet.
    Be quiet and keep scoping with the binocs. Stop and look around, even areas you have passed, they will pop out to eat.
    The time of day matters but not too much, like I said they live to eat. The last one I whacked today was at 8:25 p.m.

Good Luck
    God Bless America
    God Bless Our Troops

Join and support the NRA
    Last edited by cheesesteakfo; July 2nd, 2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: spelling

(Philadelphia County)

Quick question, is it legal to shoot groundhogs, rabbits, coyote's and other pests with a semi auto on private land? I refuse to break the law when it comes to hunting and the only reason I ask is because my AR is the only rifle I own which I can easily mount optics on without D+T, and isn't totally overkill for a groundhog/coyote.

I'm sorry but I am not a good enough shot and I am not going to ruin a 104 year old swede mauser (Also, I am aware that you can buy non-intrusive mounts for C&R guns, but I cant really dump that much money into it at this time, whereas I can borrow a scope from my uncle and I already have some rings).

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    Quick question, is it legal to shoot groundhogs, rabbits, coyote's and other pests with a semi auto on private land?
    I didn't see any exceptions to this rule for private land in the Hunting and Trapping Digest.

Fitch

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I didn't see any exceptions to this rule for private land in the Hunting and Trapping Digest.

Fitch
    Ok thanks
    Just another excuse to get another rifle :P

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    Ok thanks
    Just another excuse to get another rifle :P
    No downside to that! <BG>

Fitch

I suggest looking at the other Ground Hog Hunting Thread for more information and tips! Its already several pages long!

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

I've been getting most of mine lately in the afternoon. Usually after dinner time they will start to come out and try and get some food. I'll go out in the morning too just to check, but haven't seen many in the early hours so far this summer.

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast