Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Goundhog hunting tips

All I can say is walk around and try to figure out the times that they are usually out.. Yes they are a pattern animal.. So if you walk hunt go for a stroll and so what if you spot him and he runs, odds are he will be out the same time tomorrow in the same hole, weather permiting though. I usually go out in the morning time and the afternoon to evening. . I havent really ever seen to many in the evening before dark, but I suppose they could be. Most of the time you can figure there schedule out to the hour and go out and wait an hour before they come out to feed. One year I got 50, I dont consider that number large by any mean, but when I walked around to the holes that I knew their times I usually found out when others were out so I could plan the next hunt.. (endless cycle)

I never had much success hunting them during the mid afternoon. It seems that when it's very warm out, that they stay in their holes. Their holes are probably 15-25 degrees cooler than above ground.

GH do come out after the rain...if it's not a heavy rain. My favorite time to hunt them is early morning and before it gets dark.

If you are in Central PA...there is an annual GH hunt North of Harrisburg at the beginning of June. I believe it's $10 per person and you can win some prize money for the heaviest hog.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I never had much success hunting them during the mid afternoon. It seems that when it's very warm out, that they stay in their holes. Their holes are probably 15-25 degrees cooler than above ground.

GH do come out after the rain...if it's not a heavy rain. My favorite time to hunt them is early morning and before it gets dark.

If you are in Central PA...there is an annual GH hunt North of Harrisburg at the beginning of June. I believe it's $10 per person and you can win some prize money for the heaviest hog.
    Heaviest hog? that sucks... mine usually look like the swallowed a handgrenade.

(Luzerne County)

Ya'll forgot the most important tip...

Be ..... v..e..w..e..r..y ..... v..e..w..e..y ..... q..u..i..e..t
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; May 8th, 2007 at 10:41 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lancaster County)

I can't stop laughing.
    That's awesome advice.

(Northampton County)

How about nocturnal groundhogs? I once found one gnawing drop apples in my yard one night .... it was almost midnight.
    (yes, I was sober). I've seen them climb trees, but that's the only one I've ever seen at night.
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

(York County)

I believe that the evil little critters actually move to different holes depending what food source is available. An easy way to spot active holes from quite a distance is to watch soybean fields. They'll clear a 10 -20 ft diameter area around thier holes in young soybeans. Also if you wait till Memorial day you're missing some of the best shooting of the season, don't worry there won't be a shortage in our lifetime or ever.

Death To Gus!!!

(Washington County)

Any tips for those of us that cant legally shoot teh brown bastdiges near our house? Ive got plenty of woodland around here, but dotn need some game warden popping up out of a manhole to fine me for shooting a hog in my backyard.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Any tips for those of us that cant legally shoot teh brown bastdiges near our house? Ive got plenty of woodland around here, but dotn need some game warden popping up out of a manhole to fine me for shooting a hog in my backyard.
    So long as your neighbors are the legal safe distance away, you have the proper hunting license, and the municipality doesn't have a problem with firearm discharges - you're good to go. We used to shoot woodchuck from the kitchen window at my uncles place while BS'n with the local warden.

(Columbia County)

abow works nice its quite

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast