Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Goundhog hunting tips

Well done.

Since this is about GH hunting tips:

I've spent quite a bit of time out on the back of the farm this summer waiting and watching to get a shot at some of the ground hogs that live back there.

I've noticed that, at least this time of year, the GH here seem to like to come out of the edge of the woods onto the sunny side of the field after the dew has pretty much dried off the grass and clover. That is usually between 0930 and 1030. This is when I've been able to get a shot at most of the ones I've gotten this summer (ten of the buggers), this summer. I did see two around dinner time, and last summer I got one around 0700 in the back pasture, but that was the exception to the rule.

Fitch

(Franklin County)

i live down in greencastle pa, and my bro works at a farm and the farmer has fields and fields hundreds of acres and they come out just around 6 or 7 clock in the evening and they also like to comeout right before it rains iv noticed when it gets cloudy and dark they come out.. i personally have had alot of luck with groundhogs i have a membership up at chambersburgh range, and i reload my own ammo because its more accurate and you can make your loads the way you want them, i use a 243 winchester and i got a 55 grain vmax up to 4023 fps without the barrel warping but i can only get a few shots in until the bore heats up and isnt as affective. the farthest groundhog iv shot was ranged at 489 yds and i took it right in the head about a inch off in diameter. im up too 113 ground hogs so far this year, last year i only had 34 i was using a 22-250 then i purchased my brand new 243 winchester and got a 450 dollar leapold scope for it 4x16x50 with nightvision and i love it.

and for the tips.. be v...e..w...y.. v...e....w..y q...u...i...t...e.. and if heading out to go shoot it and it sees u.. just stop and dont move for id say about 10 seconds then he will go back to eating or w.e hes doing then just walk casual to ur spot where u wanna take the shot. dont run or make any noise.. also if its a long range shot and hes walking around do a high pitch loud whisle and he will pop up and just stand up..

(Adams County)

I work on a large fruit farm and we have hogs everywhere--on orchard margins, in the row middles between the rows, and in the rows. Many dens are near state or county roads so the shots are sometimes limited. It makes for some real challenges. But they have to be killed; they can shred young trees and damage them severely. Here's what works in my situation:

1. I go out between 5 and 8 p.m. They will always come out to feed--especially if it's been hot or it's rained and there's some moisture. I guess they like to lick the water off the grass and weeds but I don't know...

2. Lately I've been looking for dens or spots where I've seen hogs run away from me in the past. I will take a shot immediately if they are out; but more often, I find the holes and trails but no hogs and stake them out from a concealed location. Then I wait.

3. In the orchards, I rarely ever get within 50 yards of a hog if I don't see him first. They are very good at detecting movement in the trees and usually bolt at first sight. But I think that they cannot distinguish me from the trees if I am still when they first emerge from their cover or holes. If can position myself next to a tree in an orchard row near a den and get the .17 up and aimed I can take them out even if they are as close as 10-15 yards. When shooting in the orchards I always have to watch out for fruit, too.

I'm still learning to take them at 100 yds with my .17 but in many cases, a closer shot is more likely and common. So I get plenty of target practice to improve my aiming and firing technique. On to the long shots now.

I'm planning to go out to my old stomping grounds in Lancaster County to try my hand at the row-crop hogs. There must be some farmers there that would let me have at it.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by hogslayer4life View Post
    i live down in greencastle pa, and my bro works at a farm and the farmer has fields and fields hundreds of acres and they come out just around 6 or 7 clock in the evening and they also like to comeout right before it rains iv noticed when it gets cloudy and dark they come out.. i personally have had alot of luck with groundhogs i have a membership up at chambersburgh range, and i reload my own ammo because its more accurate and you can make your loads the way you want them, i use a 243 winchester and i got a 55 grain vmax up to 4023 fps without the barrel warping but i can only get a few shots in until the bore heats up and isnt as affective. the farthest groundhog iv shot was ranged at 489 yds and i took it right in the head about a inch off in diameter. im up too 113 ground hogs so far this year, last year i only had 34 i was using a 22-250 then i purchased my brand new 243 winchester and got a 450 dollar leapold scope for it 4x16x50 with nightvision and i love it.

and for the tips.. be v...e..w...y.. v...e....w..y q...u...i...t...e.. and if heading out to go shoot it and it sees u.. just stop and dont move for id say about 10 seconds then he will go back to eating or w.e hes doing then just walk casual to ur spot where u wanna take the shot. dont run or make any noise.. also if its a long range shot and hes walking around do a high pitch loud whisle and he will pop up and just stand up..
    I rebarreled my .243 last winter. I have it shooting 55g Nosler BT into 1/2" groups @ 3,855 fps out of a 10" twist 22" heavy varmint barrel. Above that the groups start to open up again. The rifle also shoots the 75g V-max (my planned coyote load) and the 95g Nosler BT (my deer load) into 1/2" groups.

I've done all my hunting so far with my .223 CZ which has worked extremely well with the 200 yard and shorter shots - I've never shot a GH with it that did anything but drop in it's tracks instantly dead. 21GH with 21 shots. But now that I have a load for the .243 and a 6-24x40 mil-dot scope that I've got dialed in at 200, 300, and 400 meters, I'm hoping to find some opportunities to use it at longer ranges.

I'm supposed to meet a farmer later this week who has a bunch of GH he wants gone - and a freshly cut alfalfa field which ought to get them out and feeding. Hopefully his farm will be suitable to use the .243. I've been hunting mornings but hopefully this farmer will be set up so I can hunt in the evenings and give the .243 a try.

I love being able to hunt GH spring, summer, and into the fall. I'm retired so I can get out several times a week. Much better than being limited to just deer season.

Fitch

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by AmericaFirst View Post
    I work on a large fruit farm and we have hogs everywhere--on orchard margins, in the row middles between the rows, and in the rows. Many dens are near state or county roads so the shots are sometimes limited. It makes for some real challenges. But they have to be killed; they can shred young trees and damage them severely. Here's what works in my situation:

1. I go out between 5 and 8 p.m. They will always come out to feed--especially if it's been hot or it's rained and there's some moisture. I guess they like to lick the water off the grass and weeds but I don't know...

2. Lately I've been looking for dens or spots where I've seen hogs run away from me in the past. I will take a shot immediately if they are out; but more often, I find the holes and trails but no hogs and stake them out from a concealed location. Then I wait.
    That works.

I've gotten two by staking out places where I saw them run and hide. I crept up on the location, spotted theGH, worked into position by moving when he was eating, freezing when he stopped, and then took the shot. Bang, he dead. The little CZ sporter is really good for situations like that because it is so light and handy.

Fitch

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    That works.

I've gotten two by staking out places where I saw them run and hide. I crept up on the location, spotted theGH, worked into position by moving when he was eating, freezing when he stopped, and then took the shot.

Fitch
    Yep. That's how I do it, too. I'm a new PA hunter this year but I really do enjoy climbing the learning curve. I learn something new everytime I go out. Hogs are small potatoes compared to big game but the stakes are low so I can work on my methods and really think through what I'm doing. In essence I'm trying to discipline and condition myself for deer season.

When I'm "stalking" a hog and positioning myself during his chomps I always wonder if he saw me when the eating stops and the head pops up. Usually not and the outcome is typically not good for him.
    Last edited by AmericaFirst; July 22nd, 2009 at 06:47 PM.

(Cambria County)

There's a couple techniques you can use for hunting groundhogs. Your best bet will probably to find a good spot to sit/lie down where you can see a couple hundred yards. Never had much luck trying to "stalk" groundhogs and if you walk up on one it will almost always be an unsupported standing shot. Mornings and evenings are best. Mid day with the sun high in the sky there is little shade. If you are hunting mid day try to find fields that have trees right up against the edge that provide some shade in the field. I've caught groundhogs in these places mid day. I've also had good luck during the summer on days it rains at about noon - 3pm and then starts to dry up. Those evenings always work out well. Fields with high grass on the edges are prime places for hog holes. I've shot 7 hogs in a matter of 35 mins in fields like this with ponds nearby. Try to think as if you were a groundhog. You need some decent food and water and protection so that's a place to start. Go scouting some day and start checking holes to see if they are active. Make some notes if you're motivated and you'll know which ones are being used. When you do shoot sit for 5 mins or so. A wounded hog might try to make it to the hole if you walk down and it still has enough fight left in it. This isn't really that big of a deal but I do like to try and get a look at them to guestimate their size/age. If you shoot and miss, be patient. I've had groundhogs that must have been part prarie dog. Shoot at one and 2 mins later he's popping his head out of the hole to see if it's all clear. Don't overhunt an area. Move around if you do a lot of hunting. If you concentrate too much on an area the bastards will just move holes or come out less if they're being disturbed too much. I've had some great hunting spots ruined by people I brought with me one or two times. They would go back without me day after day and shoot (mostly miss) hogs there. Hope this helps and good hunting.

CMS

Talking Re: Goundhog hunting tips

I find that the best method to hunt the groundhogs is to NEEEK up on them. I hunt a farm that has fields between hillsides. The hogs have holes all along the perimiters of the fields, fence rows, and edges of the woods. The grassy areas on the hillsides are very productive, but hard to get to without being detected. So I glass them from a distance with my scope. If I spot them, I then use the terrain to hide my approach. NEEKing through the woods is a good approach to get those located on the edges of the fields. I also find it easy to NEEK up on them from behind. Especially those that are on the hillside. While they looking out over the fields from a high vantage point. I NEEK up on them from higher up. They drop their rear gaurd quite often. A slow stroll around the area, takes about an hour. I usually make several trips. I walk a bit then stop a bit to look around more thourogh. I hunt with an old Marlin 873 22 Winchester Magnum equipped with a 6 - 24x43 scope that has a dial in yardage range. I use a 100 yard zero. A CCI Maxi Mag +V provides a half inch variance in trajectory between 25 yards and 125 yards. Head shots are easy if I use a shooting stick because the rifle consistently hits a quarter size target at 100 yards. The 22 WMR round passes through the hogs, even at 125 yards. The only problems with the 22 WMR round - is it is easily influenced by the wind. That is my 2 cents worth.

(Lawrence County)

Savage 110 in .243
    Tasco 6-24x42 varmint/target scope (mil-dot)
    Harris bi-pod
    Federal 100gr. soft points

I like to use 1 round for everything. 100grs. will kill just as good as the 55grs. or 75grs. will... I can also go from deer to groundhog and anything in between without having to sight in again... Formulations for how many clicks to what distances out to 500 yards stay with me when I go out in the off chance I forget... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910