Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Hunting

(Schuylkill County)

Default Turkey Hunting

I've been getting into the shooting sports over the past year or so. It seems like all my uncles and cousins hunt, but since my dad never did, I haven't either. I was thinking about getting a shotgun and trying for turkey this spring. As you can guess I have zero experience with hunting turkey or anything else. What kind of shotgun should I look for (cheaper = better for me right now) and what else would I need to start hunting turkey in Schuylkill County. Also, any locals in my area willing to give me a crash course?
    Happiness is warm gun (bang bang, shoot shoot)

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Turkey Hunting

I bought a mossberg 835 ultra for my turkey gun. Got it for 159.00 used on consignment. Gun is perfect. I got a dvd or two of turkey hunting and watch it on the outdoors channel. There are different calls you can mess with. I have a diaphragm call, striker/slate call. I messed with them for a while. My issue is now where I live there arent many turkeys around. I used to live in NH where there is more wooded area and populations are managed better.

(Schuylkill County)

What gauge is generally preferred for turkeys? 12? I'm going to be at the VF forge show next weekend and may have enough dough to be in the $200-$300 range. Is pump action or semi-auto the norm?

(Bucks County)

i have a 12 gauge pump. You should def be able to get a good turkey gun for 200-300 easily.

Quote Originally Posted by HamburgBoy84 View Post
    What gauge is generally preferred for turkeys? 12? I'm going to be at the VF forge show next weekend and may have enough dough to be in the $200-$300 range. Is pump action or semi-auto the norm?
    What is your body stucture?

I'm 6' 200lb, my 835 w/ 3 1/2 " turkey loads, pushes me back pretty good.

1 of the guys I hunt with uses a Rem 11-87, way less recoil. (semi)

(Schuylkill County)

I'm 6' about 275. I shoot a Mosin M44 on a regular basis. Recoil usually isn't a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HamburgBoy84 View Post
    I'm 6' about 275. I shoot a Mosin M44 on a regular basis. Recoil usually isn't a problem.
    Ok, Try a 3 1/2" turkey load in an 835........

As far as fire power goes, I have killed a lot of turkey with a 20 gauge.
    The name of the game in the spring is to get them close, shooting 30 yards or less is common. Don't think you must have a 3.5", a good 3" gun is more than sufficient. I have always used a pump, but anything even down to a single shot will work fine. I would recommend a pump chambered in 3" for your price range, and don't get a safe queen, get something you can crawl around on the rocks with and not care if you get a new scratch.

If you can make your way to central PA, I'd more than happy to go on a hunt with you in May and show you some of what I have learned. I typically have a number of birds scouted out prior to opening day.
    Last edited by beerhunter; March 10th, 2009 at 07:49 AM.

(Delaware County)

give Flitecontrol Turkey Loads a try, I have had good patterns out to 50 yards with #6 shot
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by 5711-Marine View Post
    give Flitecontrol Turkey Loads a try, I have had good patterns out to 50 yards with #6 shot
    I don't mean to knock your post but small shot size sometimes gives turkey hunters a false sense of security. I've been there. The only way to kill a turkey at extended ranges is to penetrate bone. 6 shot at 50yds. has only 1.4 ft.lbs. of energy per pellet. The same at 40 yds. still has only 1.8 ft.lbs. Some would consider that extremely marginal.

After seeing years ago that 6 shot sometimes just doesn't cut it, I switched to larger pellets. Don't get me wrong, I've taken lots of birds with 6 shot at longer ranges, but I wanted to give new turkey hunters the advice that effective loads should pattern well and carry enough energy per pellet. That means less emphasis on gun used and more on shot size and tighter chokes.
    Last edited by buster; March 9th, 2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: content
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast