Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Lets hear about your first deer kill

I may have been six when i smelled something i would never forget, the smell of hoppes No 9. I would always know that this smell would tell me that this was that time of year that my dad would dress up in that funny looking orange outfit and be gone all day. He would always return with this rheindeer and then he would tell me that this was a deer and i shot it. I was so excited. I could not wait till the day that he would finally take me out and show me how he did this. finally when i was 11 years old he told me that we would be going out for muzzeloader season, i was so happy. Well for anyone that has ever gone hunting, that time of year you can agree it is cold. Well he wrapped me up in his old wool mil issue blanket he would keep on the seat of his 72 powerwagon and it did the trick. In short he shot that buck with that old thompson cold in its tracks. The next year i had my first chance to take a deer and i did with my 30-06 gamemaster. I never saw my father so happy. I have shot many deer with the gun and bow since then but i will never forget that first deer.
    Last edited by PROVANTAGE; March 7th, 2009 at 09:58 PM.

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: Lets hear about your first deer kill

Well, I was 10 we were in a State forest in MD (this is not going to be pretty). I was with my uncle using his .308..We had a cabin on leased land, I was hunting by myself (first mistake) (I have shot guns prior to this, I was not uninformed or unsafe). I was about 100 yds behind the cabin overlooking a heavily forested ridgeline. I saw movement....OMG its huge and AND yes there it is an antler (anterled only area) I raised the rifle and waited until the "buck" moved to where I had a good shot.....BANG! The damn things runs off....I trailed the blood for about an hour.. I was walking in circles and must have kept seeing the same blood...Its now dark, my friend joined me (he too is 10) we have flashlights...Wait, yes there look I see EYES under tree...EYES wait a minute it's supposed to be dead! (second mistake) I walked up closer and this thing is just looking at me, following my every move with its head...We get closer OH SH*T NO ANTLERS (third mistake) and its still alive! Now what, we have no guns... We're only about 50 yds from the cabin, We run back, yes we stayed together.....ITS FRICKEN DARK OUT and we're afraid of the Bigfoots that live in the dark woods.! I got my "other" uncle, the drunk (fourth mistake), he brought his .357 (fifth mistake)... He killed the deer, the tree and most likely anything else that was around...Imagine my face explaining all this to the ranger the next morning....I got off with a verbal and boy do I mean VERBAL lashing from the ranger, my uncle and my MOM!!

Two years later, when I was ALLOWED to go hunting with my uncle again (mom's rule) I hunted another ridge and low and behold here it comes and YES this time there are antlers 8pts. I fired a shot down it went. This time it stayed down and I double checked the antlers YEP 8pts and 138 lbs.

Now that is my first deer and he's hanging in my gun room to this day!

What I learned: NEVER ASK YOUR DRUNK UNCLE TO FINISH YOUR DEER!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Lets hear about your first deer kill

I was 11 years old and I got my first PC for christmas, along with a copy of Deer Hunter!
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I have to wait till next season to try and get my first deer. Hopefully the neighbor will keep his deer feeder up where his land borders ours LOL, that is why the deer are always over here wandering about back and forth LOL, just found out today. I am looking for a fat doe. Lumpy Jaw was the big 1 I kept seeing and she was always standing broadside- except when the season was in and I actually had a slug gun to hunt with. I am sure that lump is bothering her, she needs to be in my freezer...and oh my I bet they were all nice and fat with that corn feeder activity!

My first anything game was a tiny raccoon that must have been born late, and I released it alive and unhurt. Then there was the big fat possum, which I killed. But the animal I consider the true first is the red fox. It took me over a month to catch my 1st 2 red foxes. The one set I checked first was the nice fox, then I went and checked the others and I had a mangeball. I finally mounted that nice looking first fox last summer, and I caught her in december of 2000!
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Venango County)

I can still see that deer standing there today.....CAUTION long story, by a bad writer...you were warned

Dad had given me a .22 earlier in the year and I had been shooting cans and stuff for a while, so I thought I knew what I was doing..LOL...Anyway, he brings home my Grandpa's Winchester 1894 carbine about a week before deer season opened, we set a couple of cans on an old stump and he showed my how to load it, and and aim...and BANG....wow that wasn't so bad (It did hurt, though ) we were shooting offhand at about 25 yards, and I hit an inch below the can....we tried a couple more and I could hit a bit better.....first day of buck season comes...we get up at a fairly dark hour, and get ready....I walk with my dad back into the woods...just tying to be quiet, not really knowing what I was doing. We stood a few hundred yards in the woods and didn't see anything. My dad has a bad disk in his back, so he can't stand still too awful long so we started around the logging road that makes a big rectangle around the woods behind our property. We get to the corner crossroads, which I know know as my dad's favorite little spot and we stood there a while not seeing anything there either. Dad decided we should start down the hill and go back the lower road towards the house. As we got about 75 yards down the hill we saw 5 or 6 deer running parallel to us, only up the hill. They ran up the hill, and dad told me to sit tight, and he would try to kick them back down to me. So off dad goes, and I am standing there holding this gun looking around, and lo and behold here they come back down the hill. Now I am shaking like hell with excitement, and they are coming down, and all of a sudden they must have seen me because they just stop. I pull up the old .32 and this big ole doe stops, and I see the buck behind her. I'll be damned if he doesn't stop right behind her. Now I am standing here with this gun up to my shoulder watching a 2 headed deer, and man, it's got a pretty nice rack on one of them. I wait for 43 hours, ok, so maybe it was a minute or so, but it felt like 43 hours. As I am waiting, wondering what to do, looking out of the corner of my eye for dad, this gun gets heavier, and heavier, and heavier. Now to this deer I must have looked a strange tree waving in the wind because I am sure I was making 10 foot circles with the barrel. She evidently must think I am OK, since she takes a couple of steps. I centered the crosshairs of that old bushnell scope on that buck's neck about 4 inches above the back of that ole doe, and squeezed the trigger. BANG! As I recover from the recoil, I see this buck standing straight up on his hind legs, and then he crumples and falls down to the ground. I am standing there shaking some more, and dad comes walking fast down the hill and asks me where it is. We walk over and the most awesome thing I have ever seen was that 8-pointer laying there waiting for me. I looked at my watch, and it was 8:30. I was hooked for life after that. Then of course was the 1/2 mile drag back to the house, and helping dad cut him up...that was the best steak I think I ever had

markgodshonesttruthheck1

ETA Man I wish I would have had that thing mounted....it seems small now, but it was HUGE that day

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Westmoreland County)

Wink Re: Lets hear about your first deer kill

My first deer was a gift. My brother-in-law and I walked into the woods just before daybreak. When it got light enough to see, we noticed a group of hunters posted near us. We decided to walk over to another area, and while we were walking, a nice sized whitetail popped it's head up out of the high scruff 20 yards to our left. It just stood there. I tried to find it in my scope, but it was standing to close to us. I used the iron sights barely visible under the scope and it dropped right there. When we arrived home, my neighbor and his son were just leaving to go hunting for the day... I told them what happened and they almost went back into their house.

(Jefferson County)

I was 14 years old, first time ever hunting by self. My dad and sister were hunting about 50 yards away just around the mound of small hill and through the brush. I recall walking in the morning, being my dad and sister walked my to my stand. This was the first time I ever hunted from a tree. My dad was concerned about me climbing it in the dark so he was to make sure i was safely seated. I got settled in and the continued to there spot.

After the first 20 min of legal shooting light, I heard the unmistakable noise of a large animal coming my way. I looked to my left and tried to catch a glimpse of this noisemaker. There it stood about 60 yards, a pretty little doe, she trotted through the open area and out of sight. About 5 min later I heard a noise again from the same direction of the doe. I scanned the area nothing. Than I could see the back of a deer making its way closer, I could tell its head was down to the trail sniffing its way closer. I thought to myself, this is what I’ve trained for my whole life (remember I’m 14 and was a mini soldier). I slowly pulled my Savage 30-06 with a 3x9 scope up to my shoulder. The deer was making its way to the opening and I was set. As the deer made it to the opening my scope was quickly to its head. Nothing, another doe.

So my heart is just racing at well past legal limits after the encounters. So after about 5 min my heart was back to normal. So there I sat, no more excitement for the next 10-15 minutes. Then back to overload. Same noise, same sound, and same directions. This time the deer was moving at a quicker pace, but its nose still to the ground. At first looks alone you could tell this deer was larger then the first 2. This had to be a buck. It Made its way to the opening, my gun was set, I was ready. However, this turned out to be another doe. So I came to the conclusion that I was cursed like my father when it came to getting a deer with horns.

Eight A.M. came strolling around, and about about 20 min of no action I tried to stand up in my stand for a stretch. As I stood up I looked off to my right just about the pine trees, and there stood a brown patch that just didn’t fit in. It started to walk from my right to my left and I guessed at the time was to be about a good 200 yards. I grabbed my rifle, put my scope on 9 power and found the deer in my scope. Finally I seen antlers. I tried to get a steady rest (but buck fever had already set I), flicked my safety off, and KA*POW. The buck just kept walking without a care in the world. I ejected the shell and found the buck back in my scope, pulled the trigger again, Click. WTF. Brought the gun down from my shoulder and realized I must have been caught up in all the excitement and didn’t bring the bolt back far enough to catch the other round. So after making sure another round went in the barrel, I found the buck again. Ready, aim, steady, steady, breath, breath, relax, now pull the trigger, KA*POW. Deer fell in its tracks.
    So I started to celebrate and my dad came over and stated if I was going to celebrate to get down from the tree. We found the buck, a 6 pt. My dad couldn’t believe I could have made that shot in a swaying tree with buck fever. So he jokes about it every year. He says the deer was doing the “Moon Walk” being I hit it in the neck, But that’s how I got my first buck.

(Fayette County)

I didn't get my first deer until I was 16. My Dad hated deer season, and after my mom passed away I was sent to live with my Uncle Keith. He is the reason I love hunting today.

Anyway we were in Tionesta at his camp, and it was the first day of doe season. This was back when doe was three days after buck season. It just got a daylight and a large doe came up the hill on the left. I shot and she dropped immediately. I was using a .30-.30 Winchester 94. When I approached she tried to get up and a second shot finished her. I was very excited to get this one because in the same spot on the first day of buck I shot a spike, that turned and ran down the hill and another hunter finished it off. I'll never forget this first kill because it took me 4 hours to drag it up the mountain to where we were parked, lol.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Lycoming County)

well i was 11 and i snuck out one night, and took my dads truck. so long story short, i was driving down rt 87 and the sob jumped right out in front of me.

I missed my first deer - a buck at some distance downhill. I fired offhand without compensating for bullet drop. Do'h!

My first successful hunt came the next season - I took a black bear. More than a couple people were ticked that I hadn't "worked my way up" from small game to deer to bear. Oh well! I was thrilled and the bear tasted great!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast