Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default things keeping you from obtaining a pa ltcf

i was wondering if i am eligible for a ltcf before actually applying... i made some mistakes when i was younger i had a dui in nj when i was 20 in 2000 was not alcohol related, stemming from that occasion i also had a CDS charge at the same time for a rather small amount (under one gram) of marijuana, i was however given a conditional discharge, which the judge / prosecuter explained to me was the same as being found innocent. so if anyone can offer up any answers id greatly appreciate it

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: things keeping you from obtaining a pa ltcf

These are the reasons for which you can be denied a permit:

(e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

(i) An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.
    (ii) An individual who has been convicted of an offense under the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L.233, No.64), known as The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act.
    (iii) An individual convicted of a crime enumerated in section 6105.
    (iv) An individual who, within the past ten years, has been adjudicated delinquent for a crime enumerated in section 6105 or for an offense under The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act.
    (v) An individual who is not of sound mind or who has ever been committed to a mental institution.
    (vi) An individual who is addicted to or is an unlawful user of marijuana or a stimulant, depressant or narcotic drug.
    (vii) An individual who is a habitual drunkard.
    (viii) An individual who is charged with or has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year except as provided for in section 6123 (relating to waiver of disability or pardons).
    (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    (x) An alien who is illegally in the United States.
    (xi) An individual who has been discharged from the armed forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions.
    (xii) An individual who is a fugitive from justice. This subparagraph does not apply to an individual whose fugitive status is based upon nonmoving or moving summary offense under Title 75 (relating to vehicles.)
    (xiii) An individual who is otherwise prohibited from possessing, using, manufacturing, controlling, purchasing, selling or transferring a firearm as provided by section 6105.
    If none of those apply to you, you should be able to get one.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Northampton County)

Based on what you said you shouldn't have a problem. The only way to find out for sure is just go apply - and don't worry about it in the meantime!

If you met the terms of the conditional discharge (usually staying away from any criminal activity whatsoever) your record should have been expunged totally in NJ. What sometimes doesn't get expunged is the arrest and I'd also check with the court. There are times things get screwed up (not maliciously but nonetheless screwed up). Before you apply for your LTC you should check and ensure everything including the arrest record has been expunged.

Reading PA law the record of the arrest should no affect you only the conviction. I'd be sure it's all been cleaned up before you apply rather than have to say you've had a license denied at some time.

http://njsp.org/about/serv_chrc.html

the above link from the NJSP website tells you how to go about doing this. You'll have to get fingerprinted by a NJ police department but the trip and $30 they charge could well be worth any other hassles down the road.