Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Allegheny County LTCF renewal

Quote Originally Posted by SheepDog_USMC5812 View Post
    I'm debating on getting my Utah LTCF... it covers PA and 29 additional states. Initial cost is about 65 bucks and then it is 10 dollars every 5 years to renew. No need to be a Utah resident. I understand that I need to be signed off on by a Utah-approved instructor, which will cost me about 75 bucks, but sounds like it might be worth it.

Any thoughts? I am currently in law enforcement and am covered in all 50 states under HR218 (Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act), but am looking at a different career path in the near future.
    Retired LEOs can also qualify under LEOSA with certain restrictions. I think you have to have had so many years on the job and then you do have to qualify I think once a year with your firearm and have retired credentials and proof of qualification.

(Allegheny County)

Sent my application in early Nov got my approval card back 9 days later! Going to pick it up today--will post about that later.

(Allegheny County)

Obviously, something has occurred between late summer/early fall and now for the renewals to take so long. Back late September, one of my sons turned 21 and he went immediately to get his LTCF. Once he turned the paperwork in, it took exactly 4 days for the yellow card to show up in his mailbox. I'm wondering if there is a problem at all or if they are trying to slow the system down to avoid some of the overwork that may be heppening, meaning overwork by their perception that is. By our's, the more permits out there, the better.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
    -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

(Allegheny County)

When I applied downtown Pittsburgh in person - i handed in the filled out form for my hubby as they said he didnt need to come in if i had all needed paperwork which i had -(no parking fee this way!) Well i got my yellow card within 2 weeks or so and my hubbys "never" came. I called them so often that they knew who i was and finally they said i should have received it weeks ago (close to 45 days now) which we never did see it. They finally said that he was able to just go down, get his pic taken then and got his permit as his approval was on file. This is really strange and i wonder whatever happened to that paper they were supposed to send. I filled mine out right there at time of application but they would not let me fill his out as he wasnt there in person (odd but their rule for whatever reason) - maybe they just messed up and it never got filled out - or the mail? I guess i will never know. But my point to all of this is: Don't wait until close to the 45 days or if you let it expire - you will need to go there again and start the whole process from the beginning!

I think our situation is not the norm - but obviously possible as this happened to us.

(Allegheny County)

My data point:

In October, emailed materials out on a Saturday night.
    Received approval postcard on following Tuesday.
    Procrastinated and when to County office 2 weeks later.
    Picture taken, out in 10 minutes.

Don't know why it was quick. Maybe no one picks my name as an alias, or it's rare in the databases?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove View Post
    My data point:

In October, emailed materials out on a Saturday night.
    Received approval postcard on following Tuesday.
    Procrastinated and when to County office 2 weeks later.
    Picture taken, out in 10 minutes.

Don't know why it was quick. Maybe no one picks my name as an alias, or it's rare in the databases?
    Did you sign the application or just e mail it?? Mine says that typed in data cannot be saved. How did you save it to the hard drive and send it as an attachment??

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by inspector710 View Post
    Did you sign the application or just e mail it?? Mine says that typed in data cannot be saved. How did you save it to the hard drive and send it as an attachment??
    http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+use+adobe+acrobat&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

I used a Mac program called Skim to drop in text on top of the fields. Then I "printed" to PDF or something like that.

I have no clue how to actually write in the fields without the full version of Adobe Acrobat.

I didn't sign it. I told them I'd sign it in person at the office.

Probably easier to do it by mail anyways.

(Indiana County)

How much does it cost now In Allegheny County?

When I first got mine in 2008 it took me 10 minutes. Currently mines really beat up. Everything's chipped to hell on it, and I might go back and get a new one. Anyone have an idea on the replacement cost?

EDIT: Nevermind I saw its 25 for both. But should I go an get a new one? Its only 3 years old.
    Last edited by SteelerBurgh; December 7th, 2010 at 01:54 AM.

(Allegheny County)

I just did mine, and it took 4 days for me to get the little yellow card. I noticed that they had a poster up in the office regarding checking people's names against the terrorist watch list, which is why renewals now are not a one-stop deal.

I also noticed the date stamped on my yellow card was the same day I went there to drop off my application.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast