Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default ANY COLT DEFENDER OWNERS?

I have only seen pictures and read what coltsmfg has to say about them. Would like some input from actual owners before I take the plunge. Especially interested in reliability..is it 100% out of the box or am I gonna have to have it fluffed and buffed?

(Bedford County)

Default Re: ANY COLT DEFENDER OWNERS?

I own 3 Colt Defenders.

One is NIB and will stay that way. One is well used, has been carried and is in the middle of a "custom job". The third one is a Defender Plus that has the Defender slide and 3" barrel mated with a Commander frame. It's 95% condition and is never shot since I aquired it.

My Defender has been 100% since day one. I did polish the feed ramp before I ever shot it. My gun works great, but it will fling empty cases back and hit you in the face if you don't keep a good strong grip on it. Recoil isnt bad.

Do a search on the Colt Defender in the 1911 forums and you will see that many 1911 shooters claim the Defender to be the best out of the box 3" .45 acp 1911.

The only general complaint about ANY 3" 1911 is the need to change recoil springs after about 2,000 to 3,000 rounds. I have changed mine out once after 3,000. ( It still worked fine.)

(Bedford County)

This is my "shooter" Defender.

I polished the feed ramp, added PT night sights, MMC adjustable trigger, slimmed down the mag release, polished up all the internals and the beavertail, installed a blued steel main spring housing, Wolff springs, slim line custom Aluma-Grips.

I am about to dehorn the gun and do the frame in black...if I ever get around to it.

(Delaware County)

Default WOW

Wait a second while I wipe my chin. VERY nice! I wish I had some smithing skills.

(Philadelphia County)

I bought one when they first came out. It was less than reliable, as has been my experience with any 1911 with a barrel less than 4 1/4". Who knows, maybe the first batch had problems and they've since fixed them.

(Chester County)

I have two defenders. Both have been flawless out of the box, and very accurate. IMHO it is the best small .45 ever made and my favorite gun. It is also very easy to strip and clean, in case that is a consideration.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post

My Defender has been 100% since day one. I did polish the feed ramp before I ever shot it. My gun works great, but it will fling empty cases back and hit you in the face if you don't keep a good strong grip on it. Recoil isnt bad.
    Mine works perfectly, too, though it throws brass at my forehead no matter how hard I grip it. I sent it off to have the extractor tuned once -- it fixed the problem for 50 rounds or so. I'm going to just swap in an aftermarket piece. Hopefully that'll fix it, because I love the gun.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Lycoming County)

I've fed my defender just about everything without any problems. Mine will throw casings at my forehead as well. (I hate it when they wedge behind the edge of the shooting glasses) Right now its at the smiths for an action job and corrective surgery to hopefully kick the empties a little more to the right side.
    The factory trigger on mine isn't very great, squeeze a little, tighten, squeeze a little more and then let off.
    I've run about 1,800 rounds through it without a hitch. I rely on it as my carry gun, and it is more reliable then my Kimber Gold Match II.

Last edited by 1927A1; May 13th, 2007 at 11:06 PM.
    Jack

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MorganB View Post
    I bought one when they first came out. It was less than reliable, as has been my experience with any 1911 with a barrel less than 4 1/4". Who knows, maybe the first batch had problems and they've since fixed them.
    Dad had one that didn't work either. It ran okay for a while, then it started to double-feed and the slide would miss the top round in the magazine. We tried swapping recoil springs and different magazines, and it just wouldn't work properly anymore. Eventually, it got traded for a similar Kimber, a Pro Carry II I think, which works better, despite Kimber's reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Dad had one that didn't work either. It ran okay for a while, then it started to double-feed and the slide would miss the top round in the magazine. We tried swapping recoil springs and different magazines, and it just wouldn't work properly anymore. Eventually, it got traded for a similar Kimber, a Pro Carry II I think, which works better, despite Kimber's reputation.
    Coulda sent it back for that lifetime warranty

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast