Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Itac Defense OWB holster review

Hello PA

I just purchased an g17 /G19 ITAC defense holster and did so hoping it would be a quality piece. 34.99 isn't much to pay for a holster.

I received it last week but had no gun to fill it. Since I am newly married I have been saving for a used G19 while spending the rest of the money on bills bills bills. Im sure you married men know the drill.

Since it is going to be a while before I obtain my G19 (or 17) i ordered a TM G17 1:1 replica Airsoft Glock from japan. I also obtained a G19 magazine and loaded it with 15 rounds of 9mm for testing purposes. The glock toy serves two purposes: 1: something to do until I can purchase the real deal, and 2: have a 1:1 scale model with the same manual of arms to practice with until I obtain the real thing.

The Itac holster reads on the back "Made in Israel".

The polymer is rigid and the paddle attaches to the firearm via a single setscrew threaded into a steel nut. Loosening this screw (via an allen key inserted into the hole in the middle of the retention release button) will loosen the holster from its paddle whereby now it can be rotated 360 degrees and then locked in place by tightening the allen screw. It holds its position by a large amount of interlocking teeth on both the paddle and the holster. Attempts to get the teeth to skip over one another have been futile... but then again maybe i have weak arms.

As discussed this is a retention holster. My current carry setup is an Xd9 in a Serpa retention holster from blackhawk. The blackhawk is also adjustable for position but in no way can it rotate 360 degrees. It has several fixed positions for cant. It does have a method of lengthening or shortening the belt WIDTH retainers which I like. The ITAC has no method for adjusting to the width of the belt. The retention from the ITAC looks like it is a 1 1/2 inch belt width system and is non-adjustable.

As for a blow by blow of the retention systems between the blackhawk and the ITAC... i clearly feel that the ITAC wins this by a fair margin. Both employ a nub that slides between the front of the trigger guard to retain the weapon. The ITAC's nub is beefier/larger than the SERPA's. I don't know what kind of force it would take to break the retention system and free the gun from the SERPA, but it appears that it would take a significant amount more force to do the same from the ITAC. It is simply a larger (and stronger) nub of polymer.

My favorite point of comparison between the two would be the positive feeling of the retention release button on the ITAC. The button is larger, has a more sprung feel to it, and is easier for the finger to find and press than on the SERPA. The ridges do give instant verification of finger placement and the large surface area makes it very forgiving when attempting to find the button and depress it. Once depressed the holster has a very smooth draw.

The model I purchased features a built in magazine holster. This is simply an extension molded into the plastic. Now remember, I may be reviewing the holster with a Airsoft Glock, but my G19 magazine is real and filled with 15 rounds of FMJ 9mm. The magazine holster is a very neat idea but in execution it requires a few user modifications to be up to snuff. Stock, it simply DOES NOT retain the magazine with enough force to prevent it from flat falling out at a dead run. To remedy this issue, I applied a strip of fuzzy sided Velcro (industrial strength i found at wally world) and placed it on the inside of the holster. I had to reapply the Velcro once to a new position for its fuzzyness was catching on the feed lips. Once I found the right position for the Velcro the magazine holster was then usable. With the Velcro there is enough force of retention for me to be comfortable with the magazine holster as a reliable method of carrying a spare mag.

I really like the holster. Since I don't have a full weight gun to review how well it carries I must say that it sits well on the belt and is fairly comfortable. Needless to say I will be a happy man when I can finally purchase my G something or other.

I do recommend the system. I like it more than my SERPA since I find myself fumbling the draw less due to the easy to find retention button. Really satisfied for the money. Both systems have Pluses and Minuses, but I can't say I dislike my ITAC.
    Last edited by Lothaen; October 2nd, 2009 at 03:52 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Itac Defense OWB holster review

I like my ITAC very much. I do not have a mag holder on mine. I carry a full size Glock 21sf in it comfortably.

(Lackawanna County)

I am very impressed with your review and also the holster. It looks fantastic and if it is half as good as you say I will pick one up (lord I have alot of holsters!!).
    I hope they are made for the glock 30.

Holsters for me are like shoes for the ladies! I love having different kinds!
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Allegheny County)

People often get emotionally attched to their purchases decisions. Dont take offense to any critisizm I may have for either of these systems.

I ran a Serpa for a long time until I had a few first hand experiances in training classes and FOF to find that what I had thought where advatages to the system where in fact disadvantages.

These systems may give a small amount of protection from a grab, not so much from a "disarm".

The best thing that moment is for is to employ your training. Sadly most people will buy a holster that is marketed as a retention holster and never get any weapons retention training, and then walk around with a false sense of security.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaen View Post
    The polymer is rigid and the paddle attaches to the firearm via a single setscrew threaded into a steel nut.
    I would bet good money that that single screw will pop right through the polymer and rip the whole body off the holster on your belt if grabbed forcefully.

I have seen it happen with Serpa's.

As for a blow by blow of the retention systems between the blackhawk and the ITAC... i clearly feel that the ITAC wins this by a fair margin. Both employ a nub that slides between the front of the trigger guard to retain the weapon. The ITAC's nub is beefier/larger than the SERPA's. I don't know what kind of force it would take to break the retention system and free the gun from the SERPA, but it appears that it would take a significant amount more force to do the same from the ITAC. It is simply a larger (and stronger) nub of polymer.
    I cant speak for the Itac, but on the Serpa a strong tug up will pull the gun right out. PeteG pulled mine right out during a retention class, and then asked "isnt that a retention holster?".

My favorite point of comparison between the two would be the positive feeling of the retention release button on the ITAC. The button is larger, has a more sprung feel to it, and is easier for the finger to find and press than on the SERPA.
    Disarming someone in a Serpa is rather easy. I can push a button too just ask P-11 Shooter. A larger button simply means an assailant will need to grabbing around the holster to activate it. A button on the outside to release the gun is not very secure.

It took me a while and several classes with my Serpa to also find out where it would foul my draw. I had drawn from it from the ground, while being fought, on my back and front being beat on, I have done unknown thousands of presentations. It was during a Randy Cain CQH class while drawing from under concealment that my cover garment wrapped around the holster, not once, but twice. This complicated my draw and made me fail to pull the gun from the retention device and have to double tug on it. It was very disconcerting, and .5 seconds when you need to present is a Looooooooong time.

(Berks County)

You raise some interesting concerns seeing that you have practice force on force with your equipment. I hope to do the same one day in the future.

I would bet good money that that single screw will pop right through the polymer and rip the whole body off the holster on your belt if grabbed forcefully. I have seen it happen with Serpa's.

With enough force I'm sure you could detach the holster from the paddle.
    As you see, there is a good amount of material around the nut and screw. The screw and nut are stainless steel and threaded into one another. In order for it to tear, it appears that the polymer itself must become compromised. Upon removing the screws that attach the serpa to the paddle, it seems that they have employed a brass screw insert molded into the polymer to add some strength. Its three screw points on the serpa compared to one large screw and large steel nut on the itac. Im not sure which one would win in resistance since I don't want to destroy either one before I can test it force on force.

I started to test the resistance for the draw. I after an initial pull I was able to remove the toy glock from the Itac. However, I need a real g19 to test this because inside the trigger guard of the airsoft glock it is a slightly angled surface with smoooth plastic where the two molded peices come together. This angled interior of the trigger guard permits the nub to slide out of the trigger guard fairly easily. Once I get my real G19 I shall reassess this issue.

Before I realised that my toy glock had the smooth angled trigger guard I made some modifications to the ITAC. I shaved off material at the knife point to give the retention nub a deeper grasp on the trigger guard. This significantly increased the force it took to remove the airsoft glock from the holster but again this was before I noticed the angled interior of the fake g19. The XD9s interior trigger guard was perfectly flat. I assume a real G19 is similar. First lesson learned: even though the toy is a 1:1 replica with a high level of detail (really, this model is a cops nightmare for it is stunningly realistic) i shouldn't have assumed it would mirror the real deal before making modifications to the holster. I can't do a follow up on the box stock product due to the modification but if the holster retains the real G19 without allowing a pull out then I guess I will be satisfied.

So this shall be continued. I understand your concerns about an button on the outside of the firearm being easy to engage via an assailant. This is true. Im sure the ITAC would also be easier to disengage just as it is easier for the shooter to disengage. All this provided it can securely retain the real G19. Hopefully I shall have one within the month or two.

Thanks for the responses.

(Allegheny County)

I am glad you took my experiance and decided to do some critical thinking and testing yourself. It is refreshing. Normally when you critize or point out shortcomings in someones technique or gear, well, it doesnt usually go so smooth

from what you posted in the pics the screw on the itac looks pretty beefy and that nut may stop it from pulling through the polymer.

(Northampton County)

I have a RSR(I think) holster that is the same exact design as the picture you posted. I dont carry it cause the paddle is to small and you need a belt really tight to stabilize it. I do carry in a SERPA frequently but have been using it for some time.
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.JFK

Hello from sunny Florida.
    I have the Itac Roto Holster and the great thing about it is its ease to ajust.
    I do not use the belt I use the paddle.
    Leaves a small print but in Florida it is ok as long as it is under a shirt.
    Do you prefer the paddle or belt?
    Also I notice the Serpa CQC and you are right they can be ripped off and
    hate the 3 adjustment screws. I do like Itacs simple adjustment.
    I do have a question for Itac and Serpa holsters.
    If you use a belt instead of paddle how far out does either stick out?
    Email me if you would like.

Thank You

Lothaen I just read your post about the iTAC holster you purchased and I just wanted to say that I feel your assesment of the holster and comparison to the Blackhawk Serpa is right on target. I just received an iTAC holster today for my Springfield XD tactical 45 ACP and I thought it was great right out of the package. Within, oh maybe, two or three minutes I had it on and from the first draw on it seemed as natural as if I'd had it for years. The quality of the holster is first rate. I got the roto paddle holster(no mag holder). The versatility of this holster is amazing with the 360 degree rotation. You can rotate it to a horizontal position and wear it in the small of your back without fear of it sliding out on you because of the locking mechanism. It also has a molded sight track which aids in reholstering. The locking mechanism is fantastic and just as you said finding the oversized release button with your index finger is extremely easy. I've already ordered the belt slide that replaces the paddle that converts the holster to a conventional belt holster. It also has the 360 degree rotation and it has three hights. Sort of like a mid ride, regular ride and a low ride. So far the only draw back I can find to the holster is that if it is for concealment the 360 degree rotation device does cause the holster and gun to set out away from the body rather than hug tight against you. This causes the gun butt to bulge a lot more. This may vary depending on the size of the gun of course. Other than that for $28 I can't complain.
    Last edited by okieco; January 5th, 2013 at 05:55 PM.

I purchased an iTac for my Springfield XD tactical. In addition I got the three height belt slide and a roto paddle mag pouch. It's a great holster and for a lot less than a Serpa. Some may argue that the Serpa is better but for 68 bucks for all three peices I ain't complaining. The quality is very good. It's not any good for concealed carry (of course the XD tactical 45 is not exactly a concealed carry gun). The roto feature just positions the weapon out and away from the body rather than in close.