Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Help with a 9mm Decision

Hi everyone,

I realize that this general topic has been partially covered before and I hope I’m not wasting anyone’s time but…

I am looking to purchase my first 9mm as I am applying for a concealed carry permit. I am looking to spend between $450 and $600. I have narrowed the field to the Glock 19, Springfield XD-9 and S&W M&P. Reliability and safety would be the main concerns. I am looking for opinions because research only takes you so far and can also be confusing. I do realize that I need to get these in my hand to see which has the best ‘feel’.

Also, any recommendations for a quality place to purchase in or around the Easton, Bethlehem, Allentown area would be appreciated as I am relatively new to the area.

Any comments would be greatly beneficial as this forum has been an invaluable resource for a semi-new gun owner.

Thanks for your time, Rob

Default Re: Help with a 9mm Decision

All three guns provide outstanding safety and reliability. The choice is to be made on subjective matters, IOW which feels best to you?

My personal opinion, based on personal experience with all three guns is:

1) M&P
    2) XD
    3) Glock
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

I hate it when people do this (what I'm about to do, not what the original poster did), but let me throw a monkey wrench in your works. The common factor among the pistols you listed is the fact that they are all polymer-framed. If that's what trips your wire, then I'd be remiss if I didn't, at least, ask you to consider/research the SIG P250. For those of us that don't cotton to "tactical tupperware" this is the answer. All the benefits of a polymer gun (primarily light weight and resistance to corrosion) in a gun with an all-steel subframe. A terrific (albeit long) trigger pull and can be sized to fit any hand. If you look they should be obtainable within your price range (close to the top, however).

You have the Army / Navy store on Grape St. and if you don't mind traveling a little, you have Quinby's in Dublin and Tanner's in Jamison. I'm sure others will chime in with other stores and opinions.

Sorry to muddy the waters.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

(Centre County)

My personal choice would be M&P9C.
    I had Glock, and XD,and I have to say that M&P fits my hand the best.

Here are few good readong..
    M&P9C
    http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MPCompact.htm
    M&P9
    http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP9.htm
    XD(its on 45, but you'll get the general idea..)
    http://www.gunblast.com/Springfield-XD45.htm
    Can't find any decent article for G-19, but did find this..
    http://www.gunblast.com/i_hate_glocks.htm
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Dauphin County)

I would go with any version of the M&P they are all great guns. My 9C was a tack driver for a sub compact pistol i cant imagine what the full size can do.

(Northampton County)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the lightning quick replies.
    Pizzza Bob - No need to apologize - 'muddying the waters' may be beneficial to me as well. All opinions will certainly be helpful and considered.

Again my thanks, Rob

(Westmoreland County)

I own a Glock 19 and a Smith and Wesson M&P9. I used to own an XD9 as well so maybe I can be of some help. First off, the Glock 19 is my everyday carry and I have yet to actually get to the range to shoot my M&P9 as it was just purchased this past Saturday.

While my XD9 was a fine and reliable weapon I sold it shortly after buying it. A combination of the higher bore axis and just an overall lack of “lust” for the aesthetics of the gun prompted me to do so. It was accurate enough and the trigger was one of the better ones in a striker fired platform. Just wasn’t me.

The Glock 19 is an excellent weapon and one of those must haves for a collector who is a fan of the 9mm cartridge. It’s small enough to conceal and large enough to shoot accurately. Accessories are a dime a dozen. Everyone makes something for the 19. The only negative you will usually hear about this choice is the grip angle. It doesn’t fit everyone. I never had a problem with it until I picked up an M&P9.

While I have no problem with the G19 and would never entertain parting ways with it (it has served me very well over the years) I’m really rooting for my M&P9 to pass the test and replace it in my holster. The M&P just melts into my hand. It’s easily the best feeling gun I’ve ever picked up. For me, the size difference between the M&P and the G19 is negligible, your mileage may vary. I just fell in love with it when I picked it up.

Best advice, join a group shoot before you buy, it is the only way you can try before you buy these days, be up front with the guys, what you want, you are there to learn, try all the guns you can till there is one that says "are we going home Daddy?" then you are ready to go to the store and adopt your new gun..

PS, don't forget to try a CZ if you can, they are also very comfy.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Bucks County)

I would second the notion of checking into the P250. The grip displays they have on retail counters at various shops gives you a great idea as to which grip will suit you best from a comfort and handling perspective. As a disclaimer, I've always been a fan of Sigs... Would like to pick up a P226 Blackwater at some point soon

(Bucks County)

Below is good article to help you make a decision:

http://www.best9mm.com/

Me ... I'm a big CZ fan.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast