Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default State Game Land shooting range. French Creek

So if I work Tuesday night I wont be able to go to the indoor shooting range over in Manhiem, I'll head out later in the week to French Creek State Park's shooting range.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...enchcreek.aspx

Now I know the rule with having no more then 6 rounds in the magazine. If I have the magazine (carry mag) fully loaded and just leave it elsewhere in the car is that fine?

Also, since they only have a 50yrd range. If NO ONE else is around am I allowed to get closer? I suck at 50yrds. I figured I would ask, then to go on a day no one is around and get closer and get a fine or whatnot.

God I can't wait to get a membership lol.

(Chester County)

Default Re: State Game Land shooting range. French Creek

Be careful at French Creek.. IIRC they are not considered a pistol range so the limit is technically 3 rounds in ANY weapon. Only designated PISTOL ranges allow 6 rounds in a handgun.

Also I believe that it doesn't matter about # of rounds in magazine. Technically its rounds in weapon. Don't put any mags INTO the weapon with excessive round count. Out of weapon mags are not limited.
    Last edited by tl_3237; March 4th, 2009 at 10:04 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Be careful at French Creek.. IIRC they are not considered a pistol range so the limit is technically 3 rounds in ANY weapon. Only designated PISTOL ranges allow 6 rounds in a handgun.

Also I believe that it doesn't matter about # of rounds in magazine. Technically its rounds in weapon. Don't put any mags INTO the weapon with excessive round count. Out of weapon mags are not limited.
    Thanks for the reply, so no more then 3? Alright.

Any ideas if I will get into trouble for getting closer then 50yrds if no one is around?

(Chester County)

Any ideas if I will get into trouble for getting closer then 50yrds if no one is around?
    You can only shoot from "established shooting stations on the firing line". See the pics from that range of the rules below.

They hand out citations pretty regularly at this range, if you are breaking the rules, expect to get a fine.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrody View Post
    You can only shoot from "established shooting stations on the firing line". See the pics from that range of the rules below.

They hand out citations pretty regularly at this range, if you are breaking the rules, expect to get a fine.

Thanks!

Looks like I'll be practicing for 50yrds then when I go there haha.

(Lancaster County)

Doesn't Rule one violate PA law?

Persons may not possess a loaded firearm except at the firing line???

Fuck that noise.

I'd NEVER go shooting at a public range without my holstered sidearm.

Too many fruitloops coming in looking to make a score.

I'll NEVER go back to French Creek either.

Had too many bad incidences there with the shooting "public". Goddamn lunatic asylum that place is...

Make SURE you leave someone at ALL times at the firing line to police your stuff.

I would avoid going alone as well....
    He was one of God’s own prototypes—a high-powered mutant of some kind who was never even considered for mass production. He was too weird to live and too rare to die....

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey Delta View Post
    Doesn't Rule one violate PA law?
    Too many fruitloops coming in looking to make a score.
    I'll NEVER go back to French Creek either.
    Had too many bad incidences there with the shooting "public". Goddamn lunatic asylum that place is...
    Make SURE you leave someone at ALL times at the firing line to police your stuff.
    I would avoid going alone as well....
    I take it that it's a bad place? I've checked into this place before but I never got the chance to go there yet. So far its just been our cabin, I'm going to try going over to Manhiem to the indoor range they have open to the public on Tuesday Nights and if it seems good I'll get a membership.

For rule one though it may have been there before the new law went into effect.

(Chester County)

I take it that it's a bad place?
    It's a good place, I mean the facility is great for a free range, it's just that...Whiskey Delta was right on here...
    too many bad incidences there with the shooting "public"
    Lots of dummys shoot there, but lots of good folks too, unfortunately it only takes one dummy to violate any of the 4 rules to make it a bad day.

For rule one though it may have been there before the new law went into effect.
    It was. But it is their range and they can make the rules regarding conduct on their firing line can't they, I may be wrong about this I don't know. FWIW I was there a month ago and there were a bunch of people OC'ing and not getting hassled about it. I didn't see any game commission officers but I'm sure they were there, I don't think they are always in full uniform when checking on this place.

Here are some pics of the range before the recent renovation, although the only change is the 50 yard station was moved to the right side where the 25 yard station used to be. You can see what I mean that it is a nice place.

Last edited by MartinBrody; March 5th, 2009 at 01:08 AM.

French Creek, the range at SGL-43 in particular has been a controversial topic here and elsewhere. I won't go into the sordid details as you can search PAFOA for previous posts replete with stories. I will pass along your humble poster's observation-I saw a game officer watch a shooter using an SKS (not me), went over, checked weapon, questioned him. It was obvious he was looking for the slightest infraction. Found nothing. Nada. Zip. Fined him for driving an overweight vehicle onto the parking lot. Dude was driving a cement mixer that day. The point is, if they don't like you, your gun, your horse, they will find pretext to fine you. I had a plain old Mosin 91/30, they ignored me. That was the last time I set foot on SGL-43, or any other PA State range.

In my opinion, all the shooting stations except for the shotgun range should be closed at SGL-43 permanently. Rifles aren't legal for deer hunting in Chester County anyway, and the Game Commission certainly doesn't seem to like EBRs. All they're doing is creating a deeper & deeper rift between otherwise lawful shooters and the Game Control Officers. Plus, it'll help attenuate the bitching about unsafe rifle handling up there.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Lancaster County)

MartinBrody,

Thanks for the pictures, it seems like a nice place. It just depends who is there then I guess.

PA Rifleman,

That sucks! I will poke around the site about this place.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast