Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    (Berks County)

Default Re: State Game Land shooting range. French Creek

Quote Originally Posted by wpevers View Post
    Some dude lit a trash can on fire last time i was there and a live round that was in the can went off about 10 yards behind the line
    Yeah.... exactly why I no longer go there. I'll pay for a private club!

Idiots

(Chester County)

I was at this range a few months ago. It was nice and quite, but I have heard horror stories about Pottstown idiots running amuck up there.

My only complaint was when I went to set up my target, the group next to me was fiddling around with their rifle while I was down range.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TO's-Ego View Post
    My only complaint was when I went to set up my target, the group next to me was fiddling around with their rifle while I was down range.
    Never again will I go there. Just too risky. I love my private Gun Club.

Brad

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by wpevers View Post
    Some dude lit a trash can on fire last time i was there and a live round that was in the can went off about 10 yards behind the line
    When I was there in November the someone from the GC was there and he collected all the trash targets and "stuff" people threw out onto the range to shoot, tossed it into the metal can, and lit it up. Thankfully nothing like that happened when he did that!
    "Arm yourself because no one else here will save you..." -- Chris Cornell

(Chester County)

I was there yesterday, some nut decided to go forward and fix his target (the 50 yard lane) while the line was hot. And he froze and stayed there in the middle wondering whether to go forward or come back! There was a WTF look from the line and everyone thinking to themselves... was there a Clear call that we didn't hear? Well that was one way to force a clear...

I was up there this morning, to *dispose of* some old ammo I found in my grandfather's house. So I'm on the line, at the pistol benches, with my 357mag revolver (7 shot). I load up SIX rounds, and start shooting away. Then this guy, who I've seen before with the maintenance crew, comes up and informs me that *we have a 3 round limit here*. I start to argue with him, while he's completely ignoring the folks shooting real estate signs set up at 10 yards, and the ankle deep shot shells all over the line and the range. I pointed him to the regulation, and he stormed off to his vehicle.

Like ten minutes later, he comes up to me again, this time claiming to have read the regulations. He says that six rounds are permitted in a pistol at a *designated pistol range*. Now, I see game commission or state troopers up there at least one out of three times I go there, and have spoken to them at length many times, while they watched me load and unload and shoot. I have not once been told that the six rounds I was loading into then firing out of my pistol were against the regulations. No one else on the line agreed with the maintenance man either.

Now, he IS correct that the regulations say *designated pistol range*. I told him there's no such thing as a designated pistol range, in the state's system. He of course argued and made sure I knew that he has been to all of them and that there are several that are pistol only. I told him the regulation refers to firing at the pistol lanes. Anyway, he left and I carried on. I had some 300 rounds of 357 mag/38 special to get rid of and then another 300 rounds of old old 308.

It was a great morning of weather for shooting!

Here's the link to the list of ranges:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2

Anyone ever hear of a designated pistol range, or is it correct that firing six rounds in a pistol on the pistol lanes is within the rules? Is it referring to if the range has designated pistol lanes? What's the difference between a lane that says pistol on it and is 50 yards and a lane that doesn't say pistol on it and is 50 yards? (either way, 50 yards is quite a ways for pistol!)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by fortysix View Post
    I was up there this morning, to *dispose of* some old ammo I found in my grandfather's house. So I'm on the line, at the pistol benches, with my 357mag revolver (7 shot). I load up SIX rounds, and start shooting away. Then this guy, who I've seen before with the maintenance crew, comes up and informs me that *we have a 3 round limit here*. I start to argue with him, while he's completely ignoring the folks shooting real estate signs set up at 10 yards, and the ankle deep shot shells all over the line and the range. I pointed him to the regulation, and he stormed off to his vehicle.

Like ten minutes later, he comes up to me again, this time claiming to have read the regulations. He says that six rounds are permitted in a pistol at a *designated pistol range*. Now, I see game commission or state troopers up there at least one out of three times I go there, and have spoken to them at length many times, while they watched me load and unload and shoot. I have not once been told that the six rounds I was loading into then firing out of my pistol were against the regulations. No one else on the line agreed with the maintenance man either.

Now, he IS correct that the regulations say *designated pistol range*. I told him there's no such thing as a designated pistol range, in the state's system. He of course argued and made sure I knew that he has been to all of them and that there are several that are pistol only. I told him the regulation refers to firing at the pistol lanes. Anyway, he left and I carried on. I had some 300 rounds of 357 mag/38 special to get rid of and then another 300 rounds of old old 308.

Anyone ever hear of a designated pistol range, or is it correct that firing six rounds in a pistol on the pistol lanes is within the rules? Is it referring to if the range has designated pistol lanes? What's the difference between a lane that says pistol on it and is 50 yards and a lane that doesn't say pistol on it and is 50 yards? (either way, 50 yards is quite a ways for pistol!)

Your very own link shows that French Creek does not have a designated pistol range whereby other ranges do.

The regulations are quite clear, 3 ROUNDS only except
    At a Commission range specifically designated as a handgun range
    . If the range you're at does not have a specific designation as a handgun range, you cannot claim the exception for 6 rounds.

ref 58 Pa. Code § 135.181

BTW National Match Course for handguns has stages at 50 and 25 yards.
    Last edited by tl_3237; May 30th, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
    IANAL

You are correct, 6 would be over the limit. Just because someone else breaks the rules(empty shot shells) and shoots the signs doesn't mean the rules don't apply. I enjoy the range and don't want to see it closed for the reasons that were mentioned.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by fortysix View Post

There are designated pistol ranges. You were incorrect and in violation.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213