Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Schools doing background checks.

On WGAL they said that one school is asking visitors for their ID's then running it into a computer to perform a background check.

Are any other schools doing it? How much does it costs for them to do it?

When WGAL posts it on their site I'll post a link.

(Juniata County)

Default Re: Schools doing background checks.

I haven't seen the report, so I may be speaking out of context.

As an environmental consultant (asbestos, lead, indoor air quality, etc.) I have worked for school districts, both private and public, over the past ten years, and have been through 25 schools just in the past month. A lot of school districts require the standard child abuse clearance forms (annual form) and even a state police criminal background check to work in the schools. (it took me 3 minutes to do myself over the internet and cost $10 I think.) This stuff is usually done in advance before I get to site so I'm sure it's off topic.

In a few schools, even with all my PA inspector licenses, business cards, etc, they take my drivers license, scan and copy it, and even print out my visitors badge in full color with my photo. Some even have the metal detectors, etc. that I usually set off due to carrying equipment, flashlights, "Sampling" pocket knife, etc. (they usually don;t give me any trouble at all.) On the office wall in a lot of elementary schools, they usually post pictures of all the "Megan's Law" sex offenders and wanted posters for the area "criminals." I have been told - never shown - that they can process you through you drivers license and see if you have any issues that can keep you out of the building or even derive a call to the authorities.

So - can they do things? - YES. Is it being done in most school locations in the state? - not yet. And yes - you can do some of the checks yourself, but usually need a lot of the personal info first. Too bad I didn't see the report. I'm interested too.

(Lancaster County)

I can understand the need for it, is there any state standard for this? or is it just up to the schools?

They had it on again, they say they are the first school in the country with this system, they take everyones ID and scan it.
    Last edited by The Unknown 1087; March 4th, 2009 at 07:10 PM.

(Lebanon County)

Our school has sent home notes saying that all visitors will be required to show a photo id when coming into the school. Now I've taken my daughter to school and walked her to her classroom and never had to show one. For that you actually have to sign in and get a visitor's pass. I've also gone in and picked her up (although you just wait in the office for that) and never had to show one. I am SURE they ALL know who I am at the school anyway. I think that would be my answer if they ever asked to see my id. We're close enough that I generally walk and don't have any ID on me anyway. You have to ring the buzzer to be let in. I find it odd that you can't get OUT without them buzzing you out. Yes, the building is LOCKED. I wonder what would happen if something happened and there was no power to unlock that door and there was a fire or something?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by shefearsnothing View Post
    Our school has sent home notes saying that all visitors will be required to show a photo id when coming into the school. Now I've taken my daughter to school and walked her to her classroom and never had to show one. For that you actually have to sign in and get a visitor's pass. I've also gone in and picked her up (although you just wait in the office for that) and never had to show one. I am SURE they ALL know who I am at the school anyway. I think that would be my answer if they ever asked to see my id. We're close enough that I generally walk and don't have any ID on me anyway. You have to ring the buzzer to be let in. I find it odd that you can't get OUT without them buzzing you out. Yes, the building is LOCKED. I wonder what would happen if something happened and there was no power to unlock that door and there was a fire or something?
    You need buzzed to get out? That is odd. At my old HS, you went in the main doors there was a one way mirror with a person behind it, you say why you are there...they give a pass and buzz you in.

(Lebanon County)

Yeah. I went in one day for something and could not get out. The secretary said "oh yeah, just a minute. I have to buzz you out." I might add that she moves a bit on the slow side. I think there is something wrong with her leg or hip or something. She's actually REALLY nice and I like her and everything. Not picking on her at all. I'm just saying, in an emergency how fast can she get to the damn button? Ok, and I know she's not the only one who can get to it; the principal would likely be able to come out of his office but still...there is the issue of "what if they had no electric and there was a fire or something?" WHAT THEN!? Are they going to throw chairs at the doors or something? (and if someone could get through the doors by just throwing something at them then what is to keep someone out who really wanted to get in there anyway then?) I could go on and on....

(Lancaster County)

Yeah. I went in one day for something and could not get out. The secretary said "oh yeah, just a minute. I have to buzz you out." I might add that she moves a bit on the slow side. I think there is something wrong with her leg or hip or something. She's actually REALLY nice and I like her and everything. Not picking on her at all. I'm just saying, in an emergency how fast can she get to the damn button? Ok, and I know she's not the only one who can get to it; the principal would likely be able to come out of his office but still...there is the issue of "what if they had no electric and there was a fire or something?" WHAT THEN!? Are they going to throw chairs at the doors or something? (and if someone could get through the doors by just throwing something at them then what is to keep someone out who really wanted to get in there anyway then?) I could go on and on....
    Sounds like they need to rethink the exit plan.

(Lehigh County)

If it's some type of magnetic lock, in a power failure the magnet would demagnitize and open, the doors may be wired into the alarms as well. They'd have to have something like that to be up with code and all.

(Lebanon County)

I would hope so. (re the magnet thing) I have not pitched a fit about it because I figure I'll get some stupid response about how they can't divulge to the public any details about the security system and how it works. I think I may ask come open house next year though.

(York County)

maybe even a normal key would unlock the door in the event of a power failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast