Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default "Won't Change Gun Laws" on Newsday.com

NewsPol: Shooting won't change gun laws
    April 17, 2007, 6:44 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) _ Rep. Charles Rangel, a top House Democrat from Harlem, said Tuesday the shooting carnage at Virginia Tech won't change the nation's gun control laws.

He told an audience at the National Press Club that he didn't think the Second Amendment should be repealed and added that fellow Democrats told him the fatal shootings of 33 people Monday would not change votes in Congress on gun issues.

Rangel, who chairs an influential tax-writing committee, also took a jab at a longtime political foe, Vice President Dick Cheney, who accidentally shot a hunting companion last year.

"If you're hunting and accurate enough not to shoot people in the face, your gun shouldn't be taken away from you," Rangel said.

He said gun rights advocates are simply too influential to allow a tightening of gun control laws.

"It's a regional thing; it's a cultural thing," Rangel said, arguing that even in areas where 85 percent of the population supports more restrictions on the sale of guns, the 15 percent minority is far more active and outspoken. "It's a cult: 'Don't take my guns from my cold dead hands."'

Gun control tends to win favor among suburban voters, but it often stirs opposition in less heavily populated areas.

After the Virginia Tech shooting, the National Rifle Association, a major gun advocacy group, issued a statement expressing its "deepest condolences to the families" of the victims and everyone else affected by "this horrible tragedy."

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...vote29128380=1

Wow, Nice to see that not everyone will be hammering away at us. Didn't I see a thread about taking my gun from my cold dead hands???? Maybe he is on our website.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: "Won't Change Gun Laws" on Newsday.com

Wow, I think the nation has actually turned the corner in gun control and freedom issues. More and more states allow carry, and we are experiencing more freedom (although regulated) on this issue.

(Allegheny County)

Ummm... Charlie is lying folks.

All of these anti-gun officials who are CURRENTLY saying they favor no new laws are blowing smoke up your butthole.

They KNOW that anyone who imagines him/herself in the position of those students would WANT a way to protect themselves. The public has WAY too much emotional "closeness" with the victims for them to pull the gun ban crap right now.

The anti gun momentum will build slowly and quietly while the sheep aren't watching and once the complacency returns, they can start thumping their chests again.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

Couldn't resist

(Berks County)

I REALLY hate to agree with the Empty one , but Charlie is lying big time on this one. Charlie also swore up, down and sideways that the dems wouldn't raise taxes if/when they took over before the election. Now he is trying to wiggle out of it saying that they aren't going to raise taxes, they just are going to repeal all of the tax reform that was passed in the past several years. As for those of you who say that was only for the rich, the newest version of their legislation would affect families of four making $50k a year. Now I don't know about you folks but I don't consider people in that range as being "rich," my family certainly isn't rich and we will certainly be affected. So, the bottom line here is that if Charlie's lips are moving you can pretty much guarantee that he is lying.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Centre County)

How can you tell if a Politician is lying?
    - His lips are moving...

No matter what they say, lets stay on the ball folks and keep hammering for our rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Cambria County)

One thing I agree on is that we all need to keep up on the fight for our rights. It is when we let our guard down that the Anti's suddenly start a slow methodical attack.

I have made it a point to bid on every poll. Just so my opinion will be heard.

I have written every person in office that I could think of. (Most more than once)

I have talked to people at work and on the street about the gun issues and why banning won't work.

I have taken off work and attended hearings.

But you know what. This is something we all have to do, and keep doing, and not sit back and think that our rights are in place and can't be changed.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%