Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Questions about reloading.

I never thought of getting into reloading until now with the increase in prices. I would like to learn how. Does anyone have any good sites on beginne reloading and does anyone know about how much it would cost to get set up for reloading?

(Bedford County)

Default Re: Questions about reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by ira82 View Post
    I never thought of getting into reloading until now with the increase in prices. I would like to learn how. Does anyone have any good sites on beginne reloading and does anyone know about how much it would cost to get set up for reloading?
    Get the ABC's of Reloading and start reading!! It's the best place to begin.
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

(Bucks County)

Is it something to be easily learned by reading or is it as complicated where I would have to find someone to work with me on it? I have heard people who do it explain how it is done and they im sure make it sound easy.

(Bedford County)

By reading the book you'll get a real good understanding of the basics of reloading. Then you can ask specific questions.

Reloading is not real difficult.

I got my book at one of those book stores, Barnes and noble I think. You could also get it on line here's a link for the book on Midway USA site.
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

(Chester County)

The basic tenents are easy. It just takes some reading, thinking and care. There are several 'kits' out there from Lee, Hornady, Lyman etc that are good starting points and relatively cheap.

Like anything new you'll find yourself reading and re-reading instructions, sometime scratching your head but with a little thought process and maybe a few mistakes it will come to you with little pain. If you are mechanically inclined - all the better.

Never let the process overcome an emphasis on safety and accuracy. I always wear eye safety and, whenever priming, wear ear protection. Do quality control inspections at every stage. Watch powder charging to assure proper powder weight and avoid double charging. I check powder weight every 10 rounds on a beam scale and visually inspect powder levels in all cases for obvious anomalies (low powder/excessive powder).

I can't stress this enough from personal bad experience - ALWAYS CHECK YOUR INTENDED LOADS IN AT LEAST TWO INDEPENDENT SOURCES.

Bottom line - its not rocket science, its fun, its habit forming. Don't do it when you are tired, rushed, or cannot otherwise focus your full attention.

ENJOY.

BTW if you get into issues as you start, this forum (PAFOA) will get you quick and accurate brotherly advice that will overcome any obstacle - don't hesitate to post questions, concerns, etc. Welcome to the site.

Two drawbacks:

1. equipment and supplies are somewhat scarce right now;
    2. you won't save $$$ - you'll just shoot more
    Last edited by tl_3237; March 7th, 2009 at 12:13 PM.

What he said. Good summary. Most starter questions have been asked here numerous times. Spend time reading the threads and a few good books.

A mentor can be a big help to show how easy it really is.

What gets me about this hobby is the more you get into the less you seem to know. To make good accurate ammo requires that you learn more about your guns, powder selection and bullet weight and shape.

You can start out and make ammo that goes bang and not boom. As you progress you can make ammo better then any store bought ammo.

(Clearfield County)

Chunky Monkey suggestion on buying the ABCs of reloading is a very good one. I believe it is on it's 7th printing now and is a very informative and easy to understand book. The Lee 2nd edition manual is also excellent for beginners.

Always remember that reloading is very much a "thinking mans game" but when done by the numbers is a perfectly safe and enjoyable hobby. I always share this quote with new reloaders.
    "You have to work really hard to get hurt reloading" Joyce Hornady

(Jefferson County)

First thing you must understand, reloading really isn't a money saver until you've loaded a few thousand rounds. You have to recoup the costs of equipment and supplies first.

When comparing to bulk ammo the savings per round is measured in fractions of a cent sometimes. When comparing to hunting or "defensive" ammo the savings start to show merit.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    First thing you must understand, reloading really isn't a money saver until you've loaded a few thousand rounds. You have to recoup the costs of equipment and supplies first.

When comparing to bulk ammo the savings per round is measured in fractions of a cent sometimes. When comparing to hunting or "defensive" ammo the savings start to show merit.
    I took it on more as a hobby, plus my equipment was cheap.

Im actually considering saving for the necessary items to make my own jacketed .224 bullets from lead wire and spent .22 cases....but it's like $700 for the dies etc.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I took it on more as a hobby, plus my equipment was cheap.

Im actually considering saving for the necessary items to make my own jacketed .224 bullets from lead wire and spent .22 cases....but it's like $700 for the dies etc.
    Yeah, those swaging dies are expensive for sure. Corbins makes some good equipment for that, but you'll pay for it for sure. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast