Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default white lithium grease

Does anyone out there have reasons to use or not to use white lithium grease on firearms?

When I worked in an auto shop we would go threw tubs of the stuff and it worked really well. i know that its thick but it really leaves a nice thin coat if you do a once over before reasembly on firearms. best of all its about 5 bucks a tub versus 5 bucks a syrynge of firearms grease. Am I missing something?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: white lithium grease

The problem with lithium greese is when it gets heated up it dries out and comes off leaving an unprotected surface and I saw this while working in the automotive field. It's only good for some bushings and orings.

(Armstrong County)

TRY GAA. Grease Automotive Artillery. Lol, If it works for the big guns It should work for you. All seriously, try lubriplate. Its highly recommend for the M1 Garand and a little more cost effective. I like to mix it with moly to use on my 1911's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For long term storage it would be bad to use lithium grease.
    Have you ever seen that stuff after a few years?

(Armstrong County)

I'm a shooter, so I shoot them, clean them, grease them. Shoot them. Its a never ending cycle. Define long term, 12 month or so, I looks fine. My opinion, that if your storing it long term, store it dry. no grease, no oil. Try cosmaline for xtra long term, all my old mil-riffles still holding it up. My sks is still spitting it tho.

Where's George Fennell?

Seriously, if you want an opinion from someone who has made a career in lubricants it's hard to find someone with more knowledge then him. He is the creator of Weapon Shield (use to make FP-10).

Can anyone else here make such claims?

I'd recommend his products over any other stuff you'll find in an auto store.

(Chester County)

i think im on par with thetruepyromaniac in the sense of constant use. a large portion of my collection gets a regular work out. but i am open to learning about this. i have seen white lith. get funky after awile i have no intention of storing it. i've anly used it on my regulars. i mean there is a lot of marketing hype and hear say that seems to have people scared out of using anything but really expensive firearm grease. just smell it, most of it smells and looks like regular old bearing grease. if its the same then i'm not spending $5 bucks a tube, however if there is some property that cannot be replecated by some form of auto or industrial lub. then i will buy only that brand. come on guys i have a feeling there is an old timer or real seasoned shooter that is reading this and just shaking his head. please chime in. if you know something i dont. thanks

Consider for a moment that most any grease is mostly soap. The lubricating oils are suspended in this soapy mix. Unless you're living in hell or some other really hot place grease will do less for lubricating then oil.

Just because they look and smell similar doesn't mean they are made to work in the same environment. Do you put transmission fluid or vegetable oil in your car's engine? I mean they're all oils. Since they're all from crude oil (except vegetable oil) why not just put that in everything, including the gas tank?

Each is designed for different applications.

(Cumberland County)

i use white lithium on my sks and had never had an issue, but i shoot it often and clean it often as well.

for my handguns, i use hoppes oil.

i used silver permatex antiseize lube (automotive use) and i would coat all moving parts with it and make sure there is not globs of it, that stuff worked THE BEST out of everything.

1. it does not fail under high heat
    2. will not dry out
    3. repels moisture
    4. does not drip at all

- cheers.

WEAPON SHIELD.

END OF DEBATE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast