Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Berks county and non-res LTCF

I'm still trying to apply for a non-res LTCF. I have a NYS pistol permit that is restricted to target and hunting. I first went with Centre County but they rejected based on the fact that they needed to see a full carry permit from NYS

I was told by a friend that Berks county does not have this rule and that they consider restricted NY permits just the same as non restricted when it comes to issuing non res LTCF.

is this true or am i wasting my time since i my permit is restricted. I know people have suggested using my NH license to carry but i'd really prefer to carry in PA using a PA license

Default Re: Berks county and non-res LTCF

The law here in PA says basically that a resident of another state must possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state...to get a PA LTCF.

That is not a county thing, but statewide. So it is pretty clear that it must be a carry permit/license.

I guess different sheriffs could interpret that differently, though, but they would not be within the law I would not think, if they issued a LTCF to a person with just a permit restricted to target shooting and hunting.

I am not a lawyer nor a sheriff, just my take on it. Good luck.

the thing is it is legally a carry permit, Its not a permit for transporting. My permit allows me to carry a concealed loaded pistol/revolver to and from the range, and to and from hunting grounds and while hunting.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by abmand View Post
    the thing is it is legally a carry permit, Its not a permit for transporting. My permit allows me to carry a concealed loaded pistol/revolver to and from the range, and to and from hunting grounds and while hunting.
    Which would NOT make it similar to a PA LTCF as an LTCF allows concealed carry anywhere that is not prohibited. Not just to and from target shooting. In PA, you can transport to and from the range WITHOUT a permit as long as it is unloaded and not readily accessible.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

If the centre county sheriff won't issue you a permit you won't get one.
    He's one of the most gun friendly sheriffs in the state.

Your permit would be similar to a Pa sportsmen’s permit, which is not even in the same world as a LTCF.

IMO you’re ineligible for a non res. LTCF

Why not just get a non res FL or UT permit?
    FUCK BIDEN

Yeah, I think the thing that screws you is that it is a restricted permit... for carrying under certain conditions.

Looks like you'll have to "settle" for a FL or UT permit (which will also give you many other states along with PA), or like you say, the NH one you already have.

How many states can you carry in with the NH?

Actually his “restricted” license is no different than my license to carry pistol. I believe it is section 256 of the penal law, sorry the web site I use to research NY laws is working and don’t feel like looking right now, makes position of a firearm (only pistols are firearms in NY) illegal unless exempt. The license that make you exempt are in section 400. There are several types of license; A is for home position only. B is for business position only. There are a few for common carriers and judges. The type people have that allows them to carry at all, the A and B won’t let you take the gun out of the property, is type F, “to have and carry concealed without regarded to employment when proper need excises.” I think I got the quote close. The point is the restrictions were made up by a judge one day and the judges of some counties use them. You could not be arrested for violating them. So maybe a PA Sheriff knows that even with them it is a valid license to a carry concealed handgun.

I am not a lawyer, although I have a passing acquaintance with a few. I also have some friends and acquaintances from New York. According to what they say, and what has been posted by Stevtrains, your NY permit is a concealed carry permit. You have to have one in order to even buy or own a handgun in NY. My one friend told me that for years the strategy to carrying it everywhere he went was to carry a target with him as well. That way, if he were stopped, he was on his way home from shooting at targets. (nudge nudge ) Apparently this was common practice. Maybe it still is.

This is not to encourage or advocate behavior in NY. It is to say that the permit you have is probably adequate to get a PA nonresident license. You just have to find the right sheriff. The law is the same for all of them. The understanding of that law is something else quite different.

(Berks County)

I'm still trying to apply for a non-res LTCF. I have a NYS pistol permit that is restricted to target and hunting. I first went with Centre County but they rejected based on the fact that they needed to see a full carry permit from NYS

I was told by a friend that Berks county does not have this rule and that they consider restricted NY permits just the same as non restricted when it comes to issuing non res LTCF.

is this true or am i wasting my time since i my permit is restricted. I know people have suggested using my NH license to carry but i'd really prefer to carry in PA using a PA license
    You can always CALL the Sheriff's Office and ask them prior to applying. I've called the Firearms Unit of the Berks County Sheriff's Office before, and they're typically very helpful. Sheriff Weaknecht's office is definitely a friend to gun owners.

Good Luck!

Also, as other's have suggested, you can call to ask questions and apply with any sheriff in the state, and Centre County's Sheriff (Denny Nau) is known for giving permits to anyone that's legally able to obtain one.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    You can always CALL the Sheriff's Office and ask them prior to applying. I've called the Firearms Unit of the Berks County Sheriff's Office before, and they're typically very helpful. Sheriff Weaknecht's office is definitely a friend to gun owners.
    I second this. Ask for Jeremy, he is the licensing guru there and will tell you if he can issue it or not. Also look at the schedule for Berks, they will do same day issue at the remote locations - they do one a week. The Hamburg location would be the closest for you coming from NYS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast