Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Abbottstown/Hanover/Gettysburg area, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)

Default shoulder holster or belt holster

I need help on deciding the best holster for carring a Ruger SR9 17 magazine concealed.

The in the waist or on the belt seem to be the least complicated and are less expensive. I look at the shoulder holster which seems to be the perfect way. I would have the pistol under my arm, horizontal, and spare magazine under the other arm. If I wear a jacket it is concealed. If I am driving the pistol shouldn't be uncomfortable as a waist type holster would be. In either case I need to wear a jacket or a shirt to conceal the weapon. If in the summer I would wear a vest, say one they use for bird watching, with the holster over a T-shirt wouldn't that be the best way to go?

I do have a Skky CPX-1 9mm with a pocket holster that I could use if it is really hot. Shorts/pants with a cargo pocket should work.

Before I spend the money on a shoulder holster I would appreciate the thoughts of those who carry a larger pistol like the Ruger SR9 or Smith M&P etc.

Thanks,

Default Re: shoulder holster or belt holster

Well like you said they have there plus' and minus'. What do you mainly do all day? The IWB holsters are comfortable if you have it in the right position and cough up some dough for a nice leather one. The shoulder holster is ideal for someone with a big upper body like broad shoulders, big back, etc. I have a real big upper body and a shoulder holster is what is more comfortable for me but not in the middle of summer. Well summer in Louisiana is a lot worse than summer in Pennsylvania im sure. We have 100 degree weather with alot of humidity. Anyways i guess what im asking is what do you do all day?
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Beaver County)

If you decide you want a shoulder holster, spend some serious money on a good one from a first-line manufacturer. Poorly designed shoulder rigs are fiendishly uncomfortable. Anything featuring nylon straps held in place by those little plastic buckle things should be avoided. If you ever manage to get it adjusted to fit you halfway right, you'll have to sew the straps in place. The little friction buckles won't do it.
    Galco has some nice rigs that are well-designed and are about as comfortable as it's possible for a shoulder holster to be.

(Adams County)

I am, 62, retired so I wouldn't be wearing it all day. I am 6' 3" but not big shoulders, big stomack would be more like it. I weight 250. Anyway I am expecting some possible serious stuff and if so I would end up wearing the SR9 if it came to that. Hopefully I wouldn't need to wear it but if I did it wouldn't be all day probably 4 hours maximum. I guess I am just trying to be prepared. For now the SKKY 9 mm would be good to go.

What makes of shoulder holster is recommended. I was considering a Ross M42A.

I HATE IWB carry, some people seem to like it.

I've considered a shoulder rig for my 1911, but haven't gone with one yet mostly because of the cost and partly because of the fact that my Galco hip holster is pretty nice.

I've worn cheap ass shoulder ones though, and they do suck. Even good ones are kind of a pain to get adjusted correctly.

See if you can try on both at a store somewhere to help you decide.

(Schuylkill County)

I preferre strong side carry for my 1911's and also most other firearms, that i carry for work everyday. i do own a Miami classic and also a Jackass shoulder rig, i find they are more of a specialized carry option like when i have to carry and sit in a car all day, or in the winter when i can wear a heavy coat. they are comfortable but i find my strogside are a bit faster to draw from then any shoulder rig. but hey its just like the firearm you choose to carry its a personal choice you need to make. but also look at it this way a belt holster will be a lot cheaper then a shoulder rig with a few more different options on where you can hide it.

Ok, I agree to get a nice holster but i have 2 uncle mikes cheapo shoulder rigs and havent had a problem just throwing that out there. Well I think you would like a shoulder holster but considering your needs i think you would do better do get a decent shoulder holster and a decent IWB holster. That way you can wear what you feel like that day. If i lived somewhere where i could wear a coat all year id spend some major money on a shoulder rig cause, well, nothing is more comfortable IMO. I definately dont live anywhere near that and in La 1 day its 40 degrees, the next its 70, and then the next its 90...Thats also why when i get my LTCF ill buy a small .357 snubby and a slim profile holster to go on my hip so i can conceal it with whatever im wearing. Like i said go shoulder but realize you'll be limited to wearing with a jacket/loose shirt like a botton-up.

Edit: Just re-read your post and asked about the make not about the shouder rig so sorry i typed all of that. Galco and Bianchi are the only ones that come to mind some other guys will say some more. I really like those Uncle Mikes i was talking about. I wear one when i go hunting everytime i go out and its comrtable as can be.
    Last edited by S&W 10mm; March 2nd, 2009 at 10:38 PM.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Cumberland County)

I got a IWB holster for my P95. Same size an style of the SR9. Its great an comfortable for walking around. But its not so great when your say sitting in the car. I have seen some cheaper shoulder holsters at some gun shops for like 30 bucks. That seem to be made pretty good. Check out some gun shops an try some on. Might get lucky. Im browsing for a good one also that isnt so expensive. For under my jackets an zip ups hoodies.

(Adams County)

I have decided against the shoulder holter due to the price and how much I will use it. I posted another topic asking for help with a waist or belt type holster. Thanks for all your comments. I am sure the shoulder harness would be the most comfortable but the cost for what I would use it for well exceeds common sense. At least at this time.

(Centre County)

Also, don't forget that when drawing from a shoulder the gun is pointing back not forward. Many ranges will not allow you to wear a shoulder holster while shooting.

That said, I do have a shoulder holster for my 7 1/2 inch Redhawk 44. It is the most comfortable way to carry it while I'm hunting unless I went with a bandoleer style rig.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast