Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Federal Firearms License Types

For those of you that would like to know about the different types of Federal Firearms Licenses:

Type 01 -DEALER in firearms other than destructive devices.
    (includes: rifles, shotguns, pistols, revolvers, gunsmith activities, and National Firearms Act (NFA) weapons.) 18 U.S.C 923(a)(3)(B)
    Fee: $200.00 for the first three (3) years. $90.00 on renewal. Application: ATF Form 7 (5310.12)

Type 02 -PAWNBROKER in firearms other than destructive devices.
    (includes: rifles, shotguns, pistols, revolvers, gunsmith activities, and National Firearms Act (NFA) weapons.) 18 U.S.C 923(a)(3)(B)
    Fee: $200.00 for the first three (3) years. $90.00 on renewal. Application: ATF Form 7 (5310.12)

Type 03 -COLLECTOR OF CURIOS AND RELICS.
    (pertains exclusively to firearms classified as curios and relics, and it's purpose is to facilitate a personal collection. It is NOT a license to buy and sell curios and relics. 18 U.S.C 923(b)
    Fee: $30.00 for three (3) years. Application: ATF Form 7 CR (5310.16)

Type 06 - MANUFACTURER OF AMMUNITION FOR FIREARMS
    other than ammunition for destructive devices or armor piercing ammunition. 18 U.S.C 923(a)(1)(C)
    Fee: $30.00 for three (3) years. Application: ATF Form 7 (5310.12)

Type 07 - MANUFACTURER OF FIREARMS other than destructive devices. 18 U.S.C 923(a)(1)(B)
    Fee: $150 for three (3) years. Application: ATF Form 7 (5310.12)

Type 08 -IMPORTER OF FIREARMS other than destructive devices or AMMUNITION FOR FIREARMS other than destructive devices, or ammunition other than armor piercing ammunition.
    NOTE: Importers of handguns and rifles MUST register with ATF under the provisions of the Arms Export Control Act. Contact the Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch at 8320 (304) 616-4550 or see the web page: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/feib/index.htm for further information on registration. 18 U.S.C 923(a)(2)(B)
    Fee: $150.00 for three (3) years. Application: ATF Form 7 (5310.12)

Type 09 -DEALER IN DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES. 18 U.S.C 923(a)(3)(A)
    Fee: $3,000.00 for three (3) years. Application: ATF Form 7 (5310.12)

Type 10 -MANUFACTURER OF DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES, AMMUNITION FOR DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES OR ARMOR PIERCING AMMUNITION. 18 U.S.C 923(a)(1)(A)

Type 11 IMPORTER OF DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES, AMMUNITION FOR DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES OR ARMOR PIERCING AMMUNITION. 18 U.S.C 923(a)(2)(A)
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Federal Firearms License Types

i think someone should make this into a sticky

(Beaver County)

I'm going to chime in on the SOT's...

From http://www.quarterbore.com/

"Class 3" refers to a firearms dealer who has paid a special tax, called the "Special Occupational Tax" (SOT) to deal in machineguns and other National Firearms Act (NFA) weapons.

Machineguns, Sound suppressors, Short-Barrel Rifles and Shotguns, and Any Other Weapons (AOW) are all regulated and taxed under the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) as amended by Title 2 of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968.

Semi-auto and all other firearms except large-bore or explosive Destructive Devices are regulated under Title 1 of the Gun Control Act (GCA).

What most people mistakenly call Class 3 is properly referred to as NFA or Title 2 firearms.

A Class 3 SOT dealer is a dealer of NFA firearms
    A Class 2 SOT manufacturer is a manufacturer of NFA firearms
    A Class 1 SOT importer is an importer of NFA firearms

Type 1 FFL is a Title 1 dealer or gunsmith
    Type 2 FFL is a Title 1 dealer doing business as a pawnbroker
    Type 3 FFL is a licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms
    Type 6 FFL is a licensed maker of ammunition and reloading components other than Armor Piercing ammunition
    Type 7 FFL is a Title 1 manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components other than NFA, Destructive Devices and Armor Piercing ammunition
    Type 8 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition
    Type 9 FFL is a dealer in Title 1 firearms including NFA destructive devices, but no other NFA
    Type 10 FFL is a manufacturer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, including NFA Destructive Devices but no other NFA, and not including Armor Piercing ammunition
    Type 11 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and NFA Destructive Devices, but no other NFA

To get a Class 3 SOT status, you need a dealer or manufacturer FFL which includes Type 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 - and pay a yearly $500 tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 2 SOT status, you need a manufacturer FFL, which includes Type 7, 10 - and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small manufacturers) tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 1 SOT status, you need an importer FFL, which includes Type 8, 11- and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small importers) tax due every July 1st.
    Last edited by bige64; March 2nd, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
    Please visit my Website for Exotic ammunition and 37mm goodies... http://gunshowgoods.com

(Allegheny County)

I think this should definitely be a sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Lycoming County)

does an 07 license also cover for a 01 license or do you need both.

(Centre County)

Yes it does (to a point). Here is what the BATFE says:

(C4) Does an importer or manufacturer of firearms also need a dealer's license?

No, as long as the importer or manufacturer is engaged in the business of dealing in firearms at the licensed premises in the same type of firearms authorized by the importer’s or manufacturer’s license.

[27 CFR 478.41(b)]

(Butler County)

Does anyone know of any state or local, (I live in Cranberry TWP) requirements pertaining to the application for a FFL? I intend to do business online, (no brick and mortar store front for now). I've received my application from BATFE and gotten fingerprinted. I've looked at the PA state, (PA.gov) site for relevant info but so far I've got nothing. BATFE also suggests I check with local authorities as well. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

(Centre County)

You'll have to have the PA State Firearms license. You get it from the Sheriff's Office. For the local stuff, go to the the township office to inquire if there are any local permits needed for this type of business.

Quote Originally Posted by robcam817 View Post
    Does anyone know of any state or local, (I live in Cranberry TWP) requirements pertaining to the application for a FFL? I intend to do business online, (no brick and mortar store front for now). I've received my application from BATFE and gotten fingerprinted. I've looked at the PA state, (PA.gov) site for relevant info but so far I've got nothing. BATFE also suggests I check with local authorities as well. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
    please let me know when you're up and running.

(Butler County)

Much thanks Ron. Do you mean a license to sell firearms or a LTCF, (CCW)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast