Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Concealed Carry on the road to FL

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Thank you..... our Lab has NEVER lost a tennis ball or frisby in 6 years.... and I have broken her from chasing the deer here on the Mt. We haven't been hunting since 1973. Labs of any color are the greatest dogs on the planet(IMHO)

We stop in Florence for the night and then leave early to get to Orlando by 1ish. In the last 10 years we have stopped overnight in Savanna twice. Really enjoyed the place. Both times we ate at the Chart House (?) on the water. Did a tour the first time. It does get hot in your part of the country in the summer time.

Thanks for offer. If you get up here were are 40 min from Hershey park and 40 min from Gettysburg.. give us a shout....... but it looks like your from Dauphin county (PA) ?
    Yes, fI'm from Rutherford if you are Familiar and trust me, anything over 65 degrees and I die but I only do what Uncle Sam tells me to do...LOL Thats why I'm here, work.

I have had other dogs but nothing gives me the joy and pleasure that a lab does.

As far as Maryland, you cannot have a loaded pistol there. South Carolina is the same. I would suggest driving the extra two hours to Savannah where guns are right up there with the Bible. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There are two known localities that had grandfathered provisions, Charleston and some other place. Since his destination is FL, its only a forgone conclusion he will only be driving through WV.. And with his location being in Cumberland Co, I figured he might scrape the eastern panhandle of WV, which doesn't have either of the two grandfathered towns.
    From an older post here by a WV resident, forum member WVneighbor:

Charleston & Dunbar are the only two known towns that have local ordinances prohibiting open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    Its not true.. The law states the FIREARM must be unloaded, says nothing about the magazine. I don't have my law book handy, so I can't get the actually wording for ya.
    If you are passing through,no need to unload the mgs.
    You will be traveling through, so you will be covered by FED transport laws.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    If you are passing through,no need to unload the mgs.
    You will be traveling through, so you will be covered by FED transport laws.
    Yes I know, thats why I said that. But you know some folks (NOT saying the OP is one of them) aren't satisfied till the get the actual statute to read

Yes I know, thats why I said that. But you know some folks (NOT saying the OP is one of them) aren't satisfied till the get the actual statute to read
    Yeah, some are mis-informed about PRMD.

Fed laws will cover SC, also, if just passing through.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Yeah, some are mis-informed about PRMD.

Fed laws will cover SC, also, if just passing through.
    Sad isn't it?? Dang urban legends

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    From PA to FL

MD: must transport under federal provisions = empty, locked up in trunk, etc..
    WV: your PA license will cover you. carry as you desire. OC legal
    VA: your PA license will cover you. carry as you desire. OC legal
    NC: your PA license will cover you. carry as you desire. OC legal. if stopped or addressed even on foot - you must notify the office.
    SC: put your gun in the glovebox or console. If it wont fit, it must be stored in the trunk then. OC illegal, does not recognize nonresident licenses. If you get stopped and have to reach into glovebox or console, its recommended that you give the officer fair warning.
    GA: our PA license will cover you. carry as you desire. licensed OC legal
    FL: our PA license will cover you. carry as you desire. OC illegal. open carry can land you in county motel, even if licensed.
    Can you elaborate on this I was under the impression that SC is the same as Maryland for carry, no reciprocity.

To the OP I've done two trips to Florida and back with my firearm...I believe there are a couple of states where you must inform law enforcement you are carrying if pulled over. I used concealedcarry.net to look up all the information before, but can't seem to get the sight to work handgunlaw.us has a lot of helpful resources. As I recall, NC requires you to inform leo by law but not sure about other states...I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can chime in.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Franklin County)

Sad isn't it?? Dang urban legends
    I must confess that I've helped propagate this myth in the past.

My current understanding it that (obviously) unloading mags is not a requirement under federal transport regulations, but that there may be some (obscure?) game regulation that deems a loaded magazine to qualify as a "loaded firearm", and that an officer intent on finding *something* to charge you with, may drag this out and attempt to apply it to someone otherwise lawfully transporting through the state.

I cannot provide a citation for the game law/regulation.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

In NC:
    Duty to notify LEO if stopped.
    No restaurants that serve alcohol.
    NO banks, fed bldgs.
    Interstate rest stops OK!
    PA LTCF is good for CCW thru NC.

Safe journey,
    mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by axmdr40 View Post
    Can you elaborate on this I was under the impression that SC is the same as Maryland for carry, no reciprocity.
    You are correct that there is no reciprocity with SC, however "Console Carry" or "Glovebox Carry" is legal there, even without a LTCF or the equivalent:

SC ST §16-23-20 (Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions)
    It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:
    (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:
    (a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance;
    Last edited by lildobe; March 2nd, 2009 at 11:29 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast