Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Sportsman's Supply in Butler, PA

Been there twice now...treated very well both times - even before they knew I was buying anything.

The first time was to purchase my handgun, the second time was to purchase a holster for it.

All of their long guns are on the showroom walls, so you don't need to keep asking an employee to see each and every gun. Same with the bows. No one bugs you by hanging over you while you are looking. If you have questions, though, they will be there to answer them. They have a great variety - plenty of rifles and shotguns of many sizes, shapes, and colors.

The handguns are under glass and they will gladly show you anything you want to see.

To top it off, they are cheap. All of the gun prices are clearly marked.

Top service, easy-to-navigate store, and low prices = sweet.

Kudos to them!

Default Re: Sportsman's Supply in Butler, PA

By far my fav shop, staff is great, setup is great and prices are the most competitive around even compared to the Internet. Great ammo selection lately too.

I am glad to hear it.

I have been there several times over the years, and I always leave shaking my head. Service was okay at best. My most recent visit they tried to steer me toward what they had, as opposed to what I was looking for. I was told Stoeger Cougars were not possible to get. Sportsman's Warehouse & Gander had them, and continued to restock them. From about 5 guys that I know, they get a big thumbs down! Again, maybe things have changed, but I made two visits in the past 12 months.

As for cheap, again, I have to disagree. Look online for prices & you will see cheap. I would prefer to buy locally, but not at a place that has high prices & an attitude. The best price/service in a local shop that I have seen is in Saltsburg. Check out Bee's Guns & you won't make a trip back to Sporstman's Supply.

(Mercer County)

Too bad you had some bad experiences. The reason why I went in the first time is because they were one of a few that had a Stoeger Cougar in stock. I called about 20 shops within an hour drive and they were the cheapest (Gander was $70 more!).

They had at least one there today, too.

9mm Blazer prices are nearly the same as Wal-Mart. Long gun prices were considerably cheaper than Gander and slightly cheaper than one of my other favorite local shops.

All of their prices are right inline with the internet if you include shipping in the price, no doubt in my mind about it. They had the cheapest price in the country that I could find on AR-50's back when I got mine in October, and their AR's are currently right in line w/ what they where a few months ago. I've also seen stoeger cougars there, sucks you had a bad experience but most of what your saying isn't how it is.

Sportsmans Supply is about 6 miles from my work and been going there for 13 years. Prices and selection are usually better than anywhere in Butler/Armstrong co. Some but not all of the employees can be arrogant assholes. It seems like they just dont want to deal with certain people for some reason. Ive seen it lots of times and dont have a clue why. If you have a question on anything firearms related, Curt (the mountain man) is the one to ask for. He used to work at McCreas Gun Shop and is pretty knowledgeable. I agree,they are very funny about ordering things. Ive asked about certain firearms and have been told "impossible to get/we cant get it" or they give me a price that nobody in their right mind would pay. Bees Gun Shop in Saltsburg is where I go when Sportsmans are out of the reloading supplies I need,or to order a firearm. Great little shop,but not a big selection.

I guess it is the luck of the draw there. As another poster mentioned, there are some very arrogant guys there. It may be unfair to judge the establishment by a few employees, but as I stated earlier, I have been there on more than one ocassion. I expect that when I am looking at guns that it shouldn't be an imposition for the salesman to help you. Being treated like you are annoying them by asking to look at a second or third gun is arrogant or rude - at least in my opinion.

I also don't know one person - other than what I have read here - that likes that place, so I know I am not alone. I used to live in New Ken, and that was a shop that most would frequent. I guess that you will find that anywhere - some like it & some don't.

When I compared prices on other models to Bud's Gun shop online, they (SS) were high. Bud's includes free shipping on most models, so that isn't a consideration. I did buy a Sig P6 online & had it shipped there for the transfer. I dealt with a younger guy, and all went well.

I guess in fairness to them, you have to consider the recent flood of shoppers. I guess that would get a bit frustrating after awhile.

I am sure that I will go there again, and hopefully I will have a good experience there, as some of you have.

Do they carry reloading equipment?

(Butler County)

+1 That is where i bought my sw9ve over a year ago. They are very knowledgable and will spend as much time with you as you need. gg

(Butler County)

I have to agree with some of the people here that I really haven't had good experiences at this store.

I was in there on 3 occasions with my wife and every time we were pretty much ignored even though I went in there 90% certain I would be buying that day. When we asked for help I felt like I had asked the guy to wash my car or something...like it was a huge hassle.

I hate to use these stereotypes...but it seems to me that store caters to the hunter crowd and not the general gun crowd. I'm not talking about merchandise...but customer attention.

The one time we stopped in I was fresh out of the office and was still wearing my suit pants and dress shirt and I literally felt like I had lobsters growing out of my head the way we were ignored.

I never ended up buying from the place which is a shame because it's the closest to my house.

There probably are some good crew there...I have just not had good experiences any time I've been there. It has been almost a year though, perhaps I will give them another chance.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast