Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Juniata County)

Default Need 50 cal and 9mm bullet mold advice

I've decided to start casting my own 50 cal muzzleloader and 9mm bullets. I don't have much experience casting - except for old fishing sinkers with Pap when I has a kid. I'm looking for advice on what molds to buy. I want to be able to cast - lube -load/reload, without having to resize or press size the bullet. I'll probably buy Lee molds due to the price.

50 cal mold will be for both flintlocks and inlines. Mostly for hunting, but I'll target shoot the same loads for practice. (Looking for mini/maxi ball type- not round ball.)

the 9mm mold will be for rounds shot out of my Ruger P95 or other semi pistols. any grain size or shape better than others? (lee part numbers would be extremely helpful if you have them)

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND RECOMMENDATIONS!

Default Re: Need 50 cal and 9mm bullet mold advice

Don't know much about 50 cal. But most 'modern' bullets may need resizing to fit your gun. Lee makes nice moulds and a they have inexpensive resizing kits. Without resizing I couldn't get the 9mm to feed into the gun correctly.

Depending on the gun and what you want to do with the loads will dictate what moulds you get. Swc's make nice clean holes in targets and work for hunting too. But some guns don't like them. Round nose feed better but don't make as nice a hole in paper or work as well for hunting.