Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default 870 not ejecting well.

I took my new 870 HD to the range today with not so great results. It doesnt seem to eject well. A couple shells even got hung up in the port. I am used to a Mossberg and was pumping it just I would that gun but was not getting good results. Any suggestions? And PS the Knoxx stock did not live up to the hype IMHO.
    Last edited by bripro; February 28th, 2009 at 07:52 PM.

Default Re: 870 not ejecting well.

is it chambered for 2 3/4" only and you are using 3" ? that happened to me (once).
    FJB

(York County)

I believe its standard for all 870's to be chambered for 2 3/4 and 3" unless its a super magnum that takes up to 3 1/2". The 870 HD reciever should be identical to all express and tactical models. Id like to know what was causing this because Im most likely going to order a 870 HD.

(Lancaster County)

The barrel is stamped 2 3/4 or 3 inch. I checked it just to make sure. Maybe its me causing the problem but I dont think so. I was just out back with both my Mossberg and 870. Loaded 5 identical 3 inch shells in both. If I load one then pull back the forearm slowly......real slowly... the Mossberg seems to spring assist eject them when it reaches a certain point. The 870 just kind of releases them and they sit right in the ejection port. Maybe I got into a bad habit with the Mossy by not pumping it hard/fast enough. I dont think so but maybe. Need some more range trips before this can become the downstairs closet gun.

did you install the forend (slide) i dont know whats its called,, anyway, there is a flat metal bar in the receiver, it holds the shells in the chamber, that could be misaligned. it happened to my shotty, my shells would get hung up when ejecting. theres not too much to go wrong with a 870, other than the slide sticking.
    FJB

(Beaver County)

this is a common problem with the express models. Go to shotgunworld.com and do a search in the forums for 870 jamming or something ,and you'll find lots of info.

I sent an express back to the factory and it still jammed -- until I did the polishing thing I found on those forums - mine was a 16 gauge, so I couldn't use the brake tool, but I made my own.

(Cumberland County)

My 20ga always does it around 50 shells....but I spray her down with some oil and she's good for another 50, it's a pain, but what can ya do....it sucks having to take the damn thing apart to get the freakin shell out!
    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"A Canadian is sort of like an American, but without the gun"

(Westmoreland County)

You're gonna have to give it some gusto. The 870's ejector merely releases the shell, it isn't spring loaded to make the shell fly out. Plus I imagine the stock spring might be absorbing some of your pull.

Otherwise, remember that the HD is merely an express for $100 bucks more.
    Latest gun reports gave Remmy low marks for quality lately. I say that as an ardent 870 man.

(Washington County)

I have a 2 Rem 870s bought an express used and one new with an 18" barrel and +2. I had some problems with the new one as well until i cleaned and oiled it and took to the range and shot a full day of Trap with my express barrel. sometimes it just need to get broken in I would try and get some bird shot (Cheep) and get the round count up a little.

Others have mentioned that the ejector on the 870 isn't spring loaded, you gotta pump it. What's the point of having a pump shotgun if you don't really pump it? Lol, all kidding aside, there could be an ammunition problem. I have gotten a box of Remington express rounds to jack around and teach some friends to shoot slow moving clays with that were WAY too long. Once the shell was fired and the crimp extended, they were too long to eject properly. I'm just curious what ammunition you were using.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast