Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Thumbs up Remington 870 HD vs Tactical

Im looking to get an 870 HD or Tactical model but would like to know the differences between the two. I held both the HD and Tactical 18" models with 2 shot extensions and the only difference between the two that I could see where that the Tactical has a drilled and tapped reciever with Knoxx stock and the HD had a standard stock. Both guns had the same foregrip and finished also looked identical. The biggest difference was the price, $329 for the HD and $569 for the Tactical, and of course the Tac 2 model had "Tactical" on the reciever. Are both recievers, barrels, and extensions the same? I read on another board that the Tactical models have smoother action and a metal trigger guard, But those comments where posted back in 2007. Any info is much appreciated.

(Blair County)

Default Re: Remington 870 HD vs Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by armedcitizen View Post
    Im looking to get an 870 HD or Tactical model but would like to know the differences between the two. I held both the HD and Tactical 18" models with 2 shot extensions and the only difference between the two that I could see where that the Tactical has a drilled and tapped reciever with Knoxx stock and the HD had a standard stock. Both guns had the same foregrip and finished also looked identical. The biggest difference was the price, $329 for the HD and $569 for the Tactical, and of course the Tac 2 model had "Tactical" on the reciever. Are both recievers, barrels, and extensions the same? I read on another board that the Tactical models have smoother action and a metal trigger guard, But those comments where posted back in 2007. Any info is much appreciated.
    I just bought the 870 tactical in powder coat finish and 18" breacher bbl. It has the plastic trigger guard and seems to be an over priced 870 express with a few mods. Mine came with a standard buttstock and I put a Knoxx on it. Action is the same as every other 870. I paid 369.00 for mine plus Knoxx.

Brad
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSHOVEL View Post
    I just bought the 870 tactical in powder coat finish and 18" breacher bbl. It has the plastic trigger guard and seems to be an over priced 870 express with a few mods. Mine came with a standard buttstock and I put a Knoxx on it. Action is the same as every other 870. I paid 369.00 for mine plus Knoxx.
    Where did you get a tactical for $370? Do you have the 4 digit model number?

(Blair County)

That was bought at Campbells in Hollidaysburg, as far as 4 digit I'll look at it and post.
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(York County)

I finally got my 870. I went with the express synthetic model with the 2 shot extention. Much cheaper than the tactical model and its basically the same gun but without the drilled and tapped reciever, knoxx stock, and the word "tactical" on the the reciever. Now I can build it the way I want and hopefully save some money in the process.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSHOVEL View Post

Brad
    I have the same one. Paid $409.
    The LOP on these things is FAR from tactical... How is the Knoxx treating you?

(Blair County)

I really like the Knoxx for lop adjustment, as far as recoil reduction I am not bothered by it enough to notice so I guess it works as advertised.

Brad

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: Remington 870 HD vs Tactical

Get a shotgun news. Then call Bachman Pawn and get a POLICE MAGNUM for about $500. They are made in their very own room, by gunsmiths that work on NO other 870s. They are made with Wingmaster spec parts.

Which means, inside of receiver is shot peened for smoothness.
    Finish IS WAAAAY nicer, barrel is chrome lined
    NO Metal INjection Molded crap parts
    REal metal trigger gaurd
    Heavier internal springs.

DId I mention it is put together in a entirely seperate line and room with WINGMASTER parts.

Worth the hassle of tracking down, Poice Magnums are the best way to go if you are serious. Otherwise, buy an old Wingmaster 3" for $100-200 (usually in great shape) and put a new barrel on it for $200.