Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default Hello all - First Post - Question about conceal carry to VA.

Hello all,

My first post (visit) here. Very nice forums... lots of good info. I have a question about concealed carry to the state of VA. With the tragic events that happened at VT, I feel the need to carry my gun with me while traveling to VA in May. I know that neither Maryland or WV honor a PA conceal carry permit. My question is can I still carry my gun while traveling through Maryland / West Virginia or do I need to suck it up and travel without the piece of mind?

And to clear something up... I don't want to take my pistol to VA because these events happened in VA... I'd still feel the same if this happened on the west coast. The whole ordeal makes me a little unsettled.

Thanks much!
    -Mike

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Hello all - First Post - Question about conceal carry to VA.

Keep the firearm in the trunk unloaded while traveling through WV/MD. PA and VA have reciprocity.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum Subscription • Buy some PAFOA Merchandise • Help PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Lancaster County)

Check the site packing.org they have alot of CCW info, from what I understand our state AG just agreed to reciprocity with Virginia. West Virginia I'm not sure about, and Maryland would be a definite no. According to the federal gov. there is supposed to be a peaceable journey rule, keep it unloaded in the trunk kinda thing, but I've read MD takes a very narrow view on that.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ” -Vladamir Lenin, Founder Communist Party USSR ... I hate to quote a commie, but when they ban your gun, you'll know who gave them the idea.

(Pike County)

You should follow Title 18 United States Code Chapter 44, SS 926A. Basically, locked and unloaded in the trunk and ammo locked separately.

It is best that you double check this with the local MD and WV State Police Barracks, ask for the officer who handles carry permits.

The test is, if it is legal to have where you are coming from and legal to have where you are going, then you can legally transport it back and forth, per Title 18 United States Code Chapter 44, SS 926A.

Call the local State Police Troup that is responsible for the area you are passing through – and get a name for future reference.

Open carry is legal in WV. No need to lock it in the trunk.

No carry at all in MD to my knowledge.

Checking any law with the police doesn't guarantee accuracy. Check with the Attorney General of the state in question.

-- Chuck

(Allegheny County)

open carry is legal in WV...including in a car. (with the exception of two towns that had open carry bans that were grandfathered before WV adopted state pre-emption. i forget offhand which two towns.)

so, you don't have to lock the gun in the trunk when driving through west virginia. you can just take it out of your pants/off your belt and set it in plain view (on the seat, for example).

see here for more information:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum56/