Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Glock 17 and 19?

I read the many threads on the Glock 19 and everything I could so far. I went to Glocks web site and tried to find out. Can someone tell me what is the larger handgun?

From what I can see the 17 is a "standard size" and the 19 is a "Compact" model. Is this correct?
    Also seems the 26 is a "Subcompact" and the 34 is "Practical Tactical" ....
    Does this sound right?
    I want to buy a 17 or 19 just trying to do a little research first.
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by Wizard; March 1st, 2009 at 01:34 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Glock 17 and 19?

You have it correct. The 19 is both big and small enough for me. I can't get a full hand grip on the 26 without an extended magazine, and once you add the extra wedge on the bottom you're most the way to G19 grip length (you still save a few mm off the bore end).

(Clarion County)

The G 17 is larger and considered service size,full sized pistol,once very popular with LEO's,17 shot+1,and is larger the the G19 .

(Allegheny County)

9mm glocks model and sizes from biggest to smallest:

Competition
    Model: G17L
    Slide Length: 8.85 in.
    Barrel Length: 6.02 in.
    Height: 5.43 in.
    Width: 1.18 in.
    Weight (fully loaded): ~33 oz.
    Capacity: 17 + 1

Practical Tactical
    Model: G34
    Slide Length: 8.15 in.
    Barrel Length: 5.32 in.
    Height: 5.43 in.
    Weight: ~33 oz
    Capacity: 17 + 1

Fullsize
    Model: G17
    Slide Length: 7.32 in.
    Barrel Length: 4.49 in.
    Height:5.43 in.
    Weight (fully loaded): ~32 oz.
    Capacity:17 + 1

Compact
    Model: G19
    Slide Length: 6.85 in.
    Barrel Length: 4.02 in.
    Height: 5.00 in.
    Width: 1.18 in
    Weight: ~30 oz.
    Capacity: 15 + 1

Sub-compact
    Model: G26
    Slide Length: 6.29 in.
    Barrel Length: 3.46 in.
    Height: 4.17 in.
    Weight: ~26 oz.
    Capacity: 10 + 1

(note: there is also the G18 which is a select fire version of the G17. there are also "C" versions of most models. the "C" stands for "compensated"--even though these guns are actually ported, not compensated.)
    F*S=k

(Westmoreland County)

Very cool then let me ask this, would it be acceptable to carry a 19 as a duty weapon? I'm a small guy and thinking it would be a better fit. I'm off to look at them tomorrow just wondering. If I have to do a 17 then I have no problem with that.
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm doing a 235 class and trying to get something I can use in class.
    Last edited by Wizard; March 1st, 2009 at 01:45 AM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    Very cool then let me ask this, would it be acceptable to carry a 19 as a duty weapon? I'm a small guy and thinking it would be a better fit. I'm off to look at them tomorrow just wondering. If I have to do a 17 then I have no problem with that.
    Thanks for the info.
    I own both the 17 and 19. The 19 is a great size, but is only about ½" smaller in length and height (both gun are the same width) then the 17. I have carried both guns (same holster) and, if you can conceal a 19, it's not a stretch to conceal the 17.
    Since you would be carrying as a duty weapon, there's not need to conceal. Off duty, concealed carry...well, the 19 would have a small advantage.

Does your employer have any restrictions on which firearm you can carry?
    BTW, I strongly suggest you resist any impulse to do trigger work on the Glock you purchase!! My 17 (actually a 17L with a standard 17 slide) has the light 3½ lb trigger...too light for duty carry, IMHO. The 19's standard trigger is just right...again, IMHO.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; March 1st, 2009 at 09:45 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: Glock 17 and 19?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    I own both the 17 and 19. The 19 is a great size, but is only about ½" smaller in length and height (both gun are the same width) then the 17. I have carried both guns (same holster) and, if you can conceal a 19, it's not a stretch to conceal the 17.
    Since you would be carrying as a duty weapon, there's not need to conceal. Off duty, concealed carry...well, the 19 would have a small advantage.

Does your employer have any restrictions on which firearm you can carry?
    BTW, I strongly suggest you resist any impulse to do trigger work on the Glock you purchase!! My 17 (actually a 17L with a standard 17 slide) has the light 3½ lb trigger...too light for duty carry, IMHO. The 19's standard trigger is just right...again, IMHO.
    Cool, thank you. These are points I was hoping to hear.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    NYPD uses the G19 (well, something like 70% of their officers do -- they buy their own, and the G19 is on the approved list).

It's just fine and dandy for a duty or off-duty gun.

I own both a G19 and a G17. I don't recall the last time I carried the G17 instead of the G19, to be completely honest. It's not that I don't like the G17 -- it's easier to shoot fast -- it's just that the G19 is a LOT easier for me to conceal (5'9" and 140).
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Schuylkill County)

I'am by far one of the biggest glock haters around. but i also have to admit to woning 2 of them. A G22 and a G19, both are good pistols and well built for there intended purpose. my sons are the ones who shoot them the most and of these 2 neither has ever burped or stopped. if you want a 9mm i would suggest the g19. i find the grip a little better then the g17. to me they feel like bricks and dont fit my hand well. but they go bang 99% of the time and when it does break you can throw it at someone and be sure it will most likly knock them out.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    NYPD uses the G19 (well, something like 70% of their officers do -- they buy their own, and the G19 is on the approved list).

It's just fine and dandy for a duty or off-duty gun.

I own both a G19 and a G17. I don't recall the last time I carried the G17 instead of the G19, to be completely honest. It's not that I don't like the G17 -- it's easier to shoot fast -- it's just that the G19 is a LOT easier for me to conceal (5'9" and 140).
    Thank you for the input. as said I'm small 5'4" and 120 lbs, thats why I was wondering Some feel better than other when I cc. all though this would be for oc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast