Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default IWB holster - question on logistics

I dug through a search on IWB holsters and couldn't find what I need. I've been considering carrying in an IWB holster. There seems to be many good quality styles out there. I'm seeking some input on how you folks that CC w/ an IWB manage it on a daily basis. My issues are as follows:

1. Can you truly be adequately safe carrying in a holster that doesn't have a retaining strap? It seems like most of the IWBs do not have retention.

2. Is there any way to prevent you gun from falling/slipping away in the event that you need to drop your pants in a public restroom?(if you use a holster that lacks a retention strap)

3. Do the models that just have plastic or metal clips adequately secure the holster to you or are the kind with snapping belt loops preferred?

Input on this will better guide me in selecting a holster.

Thanks,
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Tioga County)

Default Re: IWB holster - question on logistics

1. I have been packin' IWB without a retention srap for a very long time. I ain't lost it yet. or What is adequate? to me the answer is yes.

2. if it's tight enough in the holster it won't fall out. Personally I take the pistol out of the holster prior to dropping my pants. For me it sits in my underwear were it is safe and I have easy access. again YMMV

3. Either the straps or clips must be able to correctly adjust to your belt. almost all of them will not properly adjust to the slim dress belts. You really need a gun belt to get proper stability anyway.

addendum. Proper holster without a proper belt will not give you a correct fit. Almost all of us have a drawer or box with a few or many holsters that didn't work for that individual person. there doesn't seem to be a quick and easy way to find a holster that is just right for you. when you find it you will know.

I dug through a search on IWB holsters and couldn't find what I need. I've been considering carrying in an IWB holster. There seems to be many good quality styles out there. I'm seeking some input on how you folks that CC w/ an IWB manage it on a daily basis. My issues are as follows:

1. Can you truly be adequately safe carrying in a holster that doesn't have a retaining strap? It seems like most of the IWBs do not have retention.

2. Is there any way to prevent you gun from falling/slipping away in the event that you need to drop your pants in a public restroom?(if you use a holster that lacks a retention strap)

3. Do the models that just have plastic or metal clips adequately secure the holster to you or are the kind with snapping belt loops preferred?

Input on this will better guide me in selecting a holster.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Northampton County)

I use the Galco Sto model #224 IWB and its very secure. Just make sure you find one that fits your particular gun. I think the hardest thing for me was to find where I am most comfortable with. I carry at 1:00 and find it the most.

As for your questions.

1. Yes you can adequately carry without retention. Unless you are a gymnast and continually bounce up and down on your hands the guns will not come loose. And even then don't forget a proper fit with the holster plus the extra tension from your pants and belt. It's not going anywhere.

2. As mentioned by a previous reply I usually un-holster and sit it in my underwear.

3. I usually wear 1.25 inch leather belts but I have worn the in the waist band with sweatpants without any issues. Though if you do the sweatpants make sure they are tightened.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Most don't, true, for one thing because they'd be difficult to draw: the thumb break itself would be jammed hard betwee the gun and your body.

For a CCW holder, retention is IMO moot because the gun is concealed. Who is going to know it's there in order to grab it?

At any rate, everything about holsters is a trade-off. You can get an IWB without retention and get great concealment. You can get an OWB with retention if you like, but OWBs are a little harder to conceal. You can find an IWB with retention but the choices are limited and I predict it'll be harder to draw from. Decide what matters to you, then choose.

NO, repeat NO, quality holster should allow the gun to just fall out. Every decent holster will hold the gun in regardless of orientation. Restroom stalls are always a hassle. I always pick the one furthest on the end such that the gun is adjacent to the wall.

They're both fine. Pick the one you like. The clips are usually faster to get the holster on.

(Wayne County)

Thanks, y'all! I'm thinkin' seriously about a High Noon Split Decision or Bare Asset. Both seem to be manufactured fairly well, US made, non-bulky. Just have to make up my mind about tuckable or not. I figure if I get the tuckable, I don't have to tuck it. More options.

They also have a tension screw which reduces my apprehension about no retention strap. I have a Yaqui slide for my 1911 and it holds pretty well w/ the retention screw on that.

I don't understand the cost difference between these two and other models like the Alter Ego (and others). The top 2 are under $40 while some of the others are over $100.

Anybody know why?

(Chester County)

Have you considered a Kydex IWB holster? From your choices, I'm thinking you haven't. If you prefer leather over kydex that's fine, but there are several holster manufacturers that offer good retention (w/o a strap) and various options for securing the holster to your belt. Some are leather/kydex hybrid designs as well.
    http://tinyurl.com/y6jhwkw CLICK TO DONATE I'm riding again in 2010!

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by LM4300 View Post
    Have you considered a Kydex IWB holster?* From your choices, I'm thinking you haven't.* If you prefer leather over kydex that's fine, but there are several holster manufacturers that offer good retention (w/o a strap) and various options for securing the holster to your belt.* Some are leather/kydex hybrid designs as well.
    I looked at some. I even turned my FOBUS kydex paddle holster around to get a rough idea how it would feel. Too lumpy and stiff. There's just something about leather for a holster.

Plus, I'm looking for something that is as narrow as humanly possible. My jeans aren't tight but they're fairly trim fit so there's not a whole lot of room to spare and still be comfortable. I've even been considering picking up another (my wife will love this) more slender pistol for daily carry. I'm thinking that I hear a PF9 calling! I'd like to get one of the new compact .45s. However, I can't justify spending $1300 'cuz it'll fill out my $40 holster better. That's like buying a $2000 camper 'cuz it's cheap, then spending $30K on the truck to pull it. (I have family members who've done that).

Thanks for the advice.

(Venango County)

I really like my Crossbreeed Supertuck, it holds and hides my Full Size Glock really well.....as rar as retention goes, when I tighten my belt it makes the hold a little bit stronger yet. as far as the bathroom issue, I grab the holster, belt, and waistband of my pants when I pull them down. when I bought this holster, I looked at the kydex clips and said to myself..."Self....I don't think those are going to hold up well..." But so far they are holding up very, very well.......and I remove and install the holster using the clips every day

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Thanks, y'all! I'm thinkin' seriously about a High Noon Split Decision or Bare Asset. Both seem to be manufactured fairly well, US made, non-bulky. Just have to make up my mind about tuckable or not. I figure if I get the tuckable, I don't have to tuck it. More options.

They also have a tension screw which reduces my apprehension about no retention strap. I have a Yaqui slide for my 1911 and it holds pretty well w/ the retention screw on that.

I don't understand the cost difference between these two and other models like the Alter Ego (and others). The top 2 are under $40 while some of the others are over $100.

Anybody know why?
    I like the split decision tuckable -I use it daily and have no problems with it slipping out. After a full day - it's in the exact same spot. You'll have to play around with the location for a few days to find the spot where it just melts into your body and you don't feel the pressure but once you find the spot - it just naturally fits there every day after. You can crank up the tension screw for more hold (it squeezes a little rubber washer). The tuckable is nice if you wear dress shirts or polos every now and then.

Good luck!
    "Cause remember: no matter where you go.....there you are" ---Buckaroo Banzai

I'm partial to the Highnoon "tuckable" tailgate when I do need a IWB. Works really nice
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast