Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: school paper

(Bucks County)

Default school paper

alright, so for my final paper for my english class, im doing a pursuasive paper on gun control laws. my thesis at this point is "gun control laws are not justifiable under the US Constitution"

now this whole deal isint due til april something, but ive procrastonated enough on it as it is. so really im coming to you to see what you guys can offer me. for tuesday we need to have 20 sources and the hard copies of them. this doesnt mean that we need all books, but i need to print out all of the info that i think i might use, or at least 20 sources worth. anybody have any good articles under their favourites? after i finish posting this thread ill be printing out fbi crime report stats, ill head over to the nra, troll around this site see if theres any good hard facts and such. hopefully sunday or monday ill be able to get to the range and do some "hands on research" so to speak. eventually ill get over to the brady campaigns website to pull some of their rather clearly flawed arguments and twist them back to the realm of logic. but i figguerd i could drop this here and see what sticks.

thanks for all your help!!
    i got shot, you should buy my stuff

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: school paper

Isn't this like asking your dad to do your homework?
    Toujours pręt

(Lackawanna County)

Nope...it's a valid research method that many reporters would be smart to take advantage of...

Just make sure you give credit for the websites in your sources, guy!
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Bucks County)

please, if i asked my dad to do this for me, he would! that guy is ODD! anyway im just asking around to see if anybody has anything that i may have missed/will miss
    i got shot, you should buy my stuff

(Allegheny County)

Is your paper going to be about how gun control is constitutionally indefensible on 2A grounds, or is it going to be about how gun control is ineffective at preventing crime and exposing the flaws in the arguments of the anti's?

These are two very, very different questions.

(Allegheny County)

Try Google Scholar for sources. It will link you to educational based journals and articles.

(Wayne County)

1. The Seven Myths of Gun Control by Richard Poe. 2001. Three Rivers Press. I realize it's a book not an article but there's many good point w/ references cited. I got my copy for $6 in Borders bargain bin.

2.Armed Response by David Kenik. 2005. Merill Press. See Chapter 31. More recent info than #1 and has references cited to draw upon.

Also, as an idea. Check the preamble to the Department of the Interior Rule change allowing CC in National Parks. (The preamble is the 47 pages in front explaining what the one page in the rear actually means). You may even see if the PA Game Commission has a decision document for when it allowed CC while hunting. You may find some statistics referenced in either source.

And remember, NO PLAGIARISM! If you do, you'll only attain the office of VICE President.

Good luck! And remember, you have to post it here when you're finished! You will be graded accordingly.
    Last edited by Sandcut; February 26th, 2009 at 11:47 PM.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Centre County)

The other posters have given you a good start for your research. I'm going to go in a bit of a different direction.

Well, here goes. If this is for an English paper, make sure you use proper capitalization, punctuation and spelling. In any written paper or argument it doesn't matter how good your facts are, your credibility is shot if the wording isn't correct. Examples: I'm not im, Sunday not sunday, FBI not fbi, April, not april, isn't not isint. Sentences start with a capital letter. There are two spaces after a period, one space after a comma. New paragraphs are indented two spaces. Spell out the number up to the number ten after that you can use digits, unless the numbers are data numbers such as a ratio (4:1, not four to one).

Remember, you're not texting to your teacher, you are making a formal presentation. If words are spelled not correctly, and you don't use proper punctuation, the reader more than likely is going to concentrate on the mistakes more than the message. If the message isn't received, then you can't convince anyone of anything.

Please take this with a grain of salt, I see too many people have a lot of good to say but they don't follow the basics of English and thus people dismiss them and the argument is lost.

By the way, I am not an English teacher, but I guess what my high school English teachers taught me stuck. And, believe it or not, in the past, I have had several members here ask me to proof read/edit some documents for them. I think was able able to help and would be glad to assist you if needed.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    The other posters have given you a good start for your research. I'm going to go in a bit of a different direction.

Well, here itgoes. If this is for an English paper, make sure you use proper capitalization, punctuation and spelling. In any written paper or argument it doesn't matter how good your facts are, your credibility is shot if the wording isn't correct. Examples: I'm not im, Sunday not sunday, FBI not fbi, April, not april, isn't not isint. Sentences start with a capital letter. There are two spaces after a period, and one space after a comma. New paragraphs are indented two spaces. Spell out the number up to the number ten after that you can use digits, unless the numbers are data numbers such as a ratio (4:1, not four to one).

Remember, you're not texting to your teacher, you are making a formal presentation. If words are spelled not correctly, and you don't use proper punctuation, the reader more than likely is going to concentrate on the mistakes more than the message. If the message isn't received, then you can't convince anyone of anything.

Please take this with a grain of salt, I see too many people have a lot of good to say but they don't follow the basics of English and thus people dismiss them and the argument is lost.

By the way, I am not an English teacher, but I guess what my high school English teachers taught me stuck. And, believe it or not, in the past, I have had several members here ask me to proof read/edit some documents for them. I think I was able able to help and would be glad to assist you if needed.

I do have to agree, have some people proof read your paper before turning it in.

Personally, I think the thesis of gun control laws do not reduce crime. It would be much easier, being that your paper seems to be very long and needing many sources.

But, if your sticking with the original, I would say take a look at the Federalist papers and the papers from back in the day. Look at biographies of the writers of the Constitution.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast