Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default Guns in Church Bill Dies in Arkansas Senate Panel

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090226/...guns_in_church

From the AP:

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – A state Senate panel has rejected a bill that would allow concealed handguns in Arkansas churches, a proposal that divided religious leaders.

The measure would have removed churches and other houses of worship from the list of places where concealed handguns are banned in Arkansas. Only churches and bars are on that list.

The House approved the measure earlier this month. The Senate Judiciary Committee stalled the bill on a voice vote Wednesday.

The bill's sponsor, Rep. Beverly Pyle, R-Cedarville, told the panel after the vote that she may try again with the proposal.

"This is not a gun question, it is a question of religious freedom," Pyle said.

Gov. Mike Beebe has said he'd sign the bill if it made it to his desk.

Nathan Petty, a pastor at Beech Grove Baptist Church in Fordyce, said churches should have the right to decide whether to allow concealed handguns.

"It's not the role of the state to preserve the sanctity of the church, and it's not the role of the state to impose religious judgment calls on churches," Petty said.

But Debra Carl Freeman, pastor of Westover Hills Presbyterian Church in Little Rock, told lawmakers that the proposal went against the nature of churches.

She said the bill "would fundamentally change the perception of sanctuaries in this state from places of safety, peace and openness into those of fear and suspicion."

State Sen. Sue Madison, D-Fayetteville, said she didn't see the need for the bill.

"I don't know of any church where the carrying of guns is a sacred belief intrinsic to the doctrine of that church, like the holding of communion might be," Madison said.

Grant Exton, the executive director of the Arkansas Concealed Carry Association, said of 48 states that allow concealed carry permits, 42 let churches make the decision to ban or allow firearms.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default Re: Guns in Church Bill Dies in Arkansas Senate Panel

I mean why would you need a gun in a church. There have never been instances of violence in church.

What?

You mean there have been? Well think of the children!

(Mercer County)

My "favorite" part of the story:

But Debra Carl Freeman, pastor of Westover Hills Presbyterian Church in Little Rock, told lawmakers that the proposal went against the nature of churches.

She said the bill "would fundamentally change the perception of sanctuaries in this state from places of safety, peace and openness into those of fear and suspicion."
    Oooooooh! Guns are scary! Even if they're hidden! Booooo! They're gonna get ya!

I'd feel a lot safer if I knew there were people in my church who could protect my family from some wacko who thinks today is the day to attack my church. Too many people think it would never happen where they live/work/worship. They are usually the first people interviewed on TV saying, "I never thought it would happen here!"

Is it likely to happen? No. Could it ever happen? Absolutely!

My idea of "fear" would be knowing that some nut job could turn a "sanctuary" into a shooting gallery, as has happened numerous times in the past.

(Somerset County)

Sad day for Arkansas , with all the christian haters now days I would not dream of going to church unarmed .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Schuylkill County)

It is each church's right to make the call in their own house. Another example of government poking into areas it does not belong (especially in religion). In this case, it appears that Arkansas is violating the first, second, ninth and tenth Amendments.

But it appears that you can still open carry in church in Arkansas.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    I mean why would you need a gun in a church. There have never been instances of violence in church.

What?

You mean there have been? Well think of the children!
    I am saying the same thing. How many people have gone on killing sprees at churches in the past few years?

I also love "..change the perception of sanctuaries in this state from places of safety, peace and openness into those of fear and suspicion."

if it's concealed this would be a non-issue, but it doesn't matter. Guns don't cause fear. Bad people with guns should cause fear. Good people with guns should make you feel safer.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    Nope, according to opencarry.org, Arkansas is a concealed carry only state.

Arkansas

Summary
    Arkansas is not a traditional open carry state. They issue a concealed carry permit, so it is our understanding at this time that open carry is not allowed even with a permit.

(Lehigh County)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    It is each church's right to make the call in their own house. Another example of government poking into areas it does not belong (especially in religion). In this case, it appears that Arkansas is violating the first, second, ninth and tenth Amendments.

Yup! Although, would it still be the church's call if they receive state aid or public funds?

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Next you are going to tell me people are going into daycare centers and killing staff and children.