Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default buying gun out of state question?

wasnt sure how to word the topic title but hopefully it gets an answer

i thought you had to live in the state to buy a gun there. then i saw this sign and when i asked a wallyworld employee,who didnt look so knowledgeable in anything. he said they could walk out with the gun if they lived in a green state. i thought it had to be shipped..... was he right or misinformed?

here is a picture

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: buying gun out of state question?

For handguns, you have to live in the state that you're purchasing. Long guns can be purchased in any state at a FFL, barring any state laws.

That Walmart map applies to long guns since they stopped selling handguns something like 20 years ago. The red states have some state law that prohibits sales to non residents, or that their residents cant purchase in other states.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

OK I ASSUMED SINCE YOU CANT do ftf rifle sales with an out of stater that goes same for at a store also

thanks for the clarification

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by daveshepp View Post
    OK I ASSUMED SINCE YOU CANT do ftf rifle sales with an out of stater that goes same for at a store also

thanks for the clarification

ALL transfers of long guns across state lines, that includes private ones too, have to be completed at a FFL. With long guns you have the option of doing the transfer at a FFL in another state(state laws permitting), or having it shipped to a FFL in your home state to do the transfer. Example: Joe Smo in OH wants to sell me a rifle.. We meet at a FFL in OH or PA, the FFL then adds the firearm to his bound book, then transfers it to me as if he, the FFL, were selling it himself.

ALL handguns have to go thru a FFL in your home state for interstate transfers.

The only exceptions for the above situations are bequested firearms and intestate succession, and state laws still apply. ...for the bequested/inte thing - someone must die, croak, kick the bucket, buy the farm, etc..
    Last edited by knight0334; February 25th, 2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: typo.. sorry..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!