Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Send a message to your school

I have since this morning been working on writing a letter to our administration at school allowing Faculty and Students who possess a valid LTCF to carry on school.

The points I'm working on.

1. Reasons why this is legal
    2. Reasons the school can not depend on police reaction
    3. Having students register at the front desk in a list that can not be disclosed outside of school persons. Much like the vehicle registration to use the student parking.

Default Re: Send a message to your school

Awesome idea!

I was thinking of doing the same thing. What school to you go to?

Looking forward to updates!

(Beaver County)

That's a good idea. When I was in school I carried. didn't care about policy, my life is more important than any policy. I didn't want to go back to the school of hard knocks.

(Allegheny County)

I'm up at Pittsburgh Technical Institute in Oakdale, it's the only place around that offeres Network Security / Computer Forensics.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by roland View Post
    That's a good idea. When I was in school I carried. didn't care about policy, my life is more important than any policy. I didn't want to go back to the school of hard knocks.
    Yeah, but CLUBS never had the bad stigma that guns do today!

Guys, good idea. It's likely to fall upon deaf ears, but sitting and doing nothing surely won't change anything! Just make sure to do us proud and write it intelligently (no offense) as a letter with errors and too much "anger" won't be well received. I'm not very good at letter-writing myself, I'd have to ask for assistance. Read: Have my wife do it.

I don't envy your position of being stuck with no way to protect yourselves without violating some BS rules.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

right now i'm still in draft form with only half a page done and each paragraph still needs to be expanded on. Right now I'm realizing how big this is going to end up being, but still trying to keep it within 3-5 pages. I also am going to make a generic petition form so you can print copies of that page to have students sign. There will be to options I am placing in either an amendment to the current student/faculty body regulations or a hearing with the proper Administrative body on the subject.

If anyone would like to help I could use sited sources MLA format perferably on sources that I can look at and verify myself. If you want any credit on the page you can PM me this information with your full name. Good thing i've had a ton of english in my now 5 year venture through college into tech school.

Here is a little of what I have like i said still needs expanded. and I will be placing in relevant factual cited information.

Dear Facility Administrator,
    This proposal is coming after the events of April 16th 2007 in regards to the massive loss of life at the Virginia Tech Institute. As you are already aware the shooting occurred with one armed student who was armed with two small caliber handguns and was able to inflict massive casualties; 32 dead and over 20 injured.
    It is of sound reasoning to believe that this incident was able to escalate to this scale due to not poor security but the inability for Security and Law Enforcements inability to instantly react to a situation. This is a downfall of any and all situations that would require outside protection of another person. It is also of sound reasoning that Students and Faculty could have lessened the extent of such tragedy if allowed to carry on their campus with their valid licenses to carry firearms.
    Legal carry permit holders are already subject to various checks included but not limited to; Criminal Background Checks, Mental Health Checks, Character Checks, Legal Residency Checks and Fingerprinting. Each state mandates its own licensing requirements and sees fit that those who obtain licenses are able to and of presence of mind to handle this responsibility.
    Students and Faculty at any facility are on edge due to the events that have opened the eyes of many who used to feel secure while on campus. The problem now is that we are able to see just because an area is posted as a “Gun Free” zone it cannot enforce itself and can no longer be expected to be a “Gun Free” area. This is a known fact as criminals are criminals due to the fact they do not obey laws and regulations.
    I also now understand why lawyers charge so much for this stuff.

(Beaver County)

That reads pretty good Skuggi. I don't know how your getting 3 pages out of it, unless I misunderstood. Keep to the point, and you'll get your point across.

(Allegheny County)

well thats rough draft format, of just the first bit. I'm going to site some statistics and expand on reasons as I have been. I'll finally put it all in PDF format with a re-printable petition sheet at the end. Also havent gone about requesting imidiate changes to school policy or a hearing etc.

(Blair County)

However Skuggi's letter ends up I'm going to try and write a version myself I need to address Pres Spainer on his statement today
    "All of us are Penn State are deeply saddened by the terrible tragedy that occured today at VT. Our thoughts and prayers are with those in Blacksburg, and we stand ready to help in any way we can. We like to think of college campuses are being re fuges from the violence that can plauge society, but today's events are a reminder that no one place is immue. On this very sad day, we send our sympathy and condolences to those affected by this senseless tragedy"~Graham Spanier
    I bolded the part that I found relavent, because he is clearly saying that violence can happen, yet by rules of the university I cannot legally carry there even with my permit. So I want to make sure the question is in there that if they arn't able to protect me, why have they taken away the ability for me to protect myself?
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Allegheny County)

That actually looks good enough to cite in my letter as reference. Is it posted on any credible websites, news or university?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast