Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Glass Bedding Remmy 700

Anyone have a good resource for this?

Default Re: Glass Bedding Remmy 700

Hey buddy, I got you covered on this one, no problem. I'm gonna post two quick references one that has alot of pictures and the explanation isn't all that great, and another that has some drawings, but some good explanation about it all. Hope this will get you started and if you have any other questions, hit me up.

http://www.ranchtrippin.com/bedding/
    http://riflestocks.tripod.com/bedding.html

(Franklin County)

sweet thanks.... I'm thinking about glass bedding a remmy 700 sps I just got. I'm not to pleased with the stock so maybe trying to free float the barrel is also an option.. Thanks again..

Anytime man. I guess you decided to go the sps route? I didn't figure you'd be pleased with the stock, and that's kind of why I offered you that other option. Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions, holler at me.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by crowsnest2002 View Post
    sweet thanks.... I'm thinking about glass bedding a remmy 700 sps I just got. I'm not to pleased with the stock so maybe trying to free float the barrel is also an option.. Thanks again..
    Is the gun not shooting well or do you just not like the looks of the stock?

If it's not shooting well, try adding a wedge of paper or cardboard, like an index card, just under the barrel at the front end of the stock. Sometimes the 700's shoot better with a little pressure up there.

Let us know if you try it and how it works.

(Franklin County)

will do.. thanks for the tip.

Crows, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you really might want to reconsider that tip that was given to you. Basically what he is telling you to do, is kind of a "ghetto way" to "free float" a barrel. Some of the block methods kind of work similarly to what he's saying by using a graphite or aluminum block that cradles the barrel and keeps it from touching the stock. A spot is cut into the stock to accomodate the block that is holding the barrel. Either way, you really don't want any part of the barrel to be touching the stock. If you glass bed an action properly with consideration to the barrel, the barrel should be entirely free floated, and anything that you add to touch the barrel might interfere with the barrel harmonics, for better or worse you won't be able to tell. Either way, it's not optimal or quite how I'd recommend that you do things.

(Lawrence County)

Pillar the action, float the barrel.

Tailor loads to suit.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

In that second article I believe there's also a way to pillar bed the action, so look at that second one crowsnest.

I have pillar bedded and free floated nearly every rifle I own including the 700. If I do that and it won't shoot I don't keep it. There are several techniques I have learned from others and some the hard way.

Don't use the rifle stock bolts. Make or buy longer ones. Rout out the stock all the way to the trigger guard and fill the holes with steel filled epoxy, then drill for the stock bolts and seat the action in the stock. I use a spacer and scribe a line around the barrel then chisel and rout to the line. To center the action in the enlarged barrel channel, I countersink one small round head brass screw in each side near the forend and at about a 45 degree angle. You can then tune these back and forth until the action is centered. Leave them in while you bed and grind them off later.

I also rout a groove behind the recoil lug and behind the magazine will for a steel all thread crossbolt and fill this with epoxy. There's more, but be SURE that all of the bolt and screw holes are filled with modeling clay, everything taped off and all of that stuff or you WILL glue it to the stock. Do not hurry. There is no easy way to back up. Trust me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast