Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Purchasing First Pistol, What to Bring?

Hello all.

I am a brand new user on this site though I've been browsing it for a week or so. I can't believe how populated this site is, especially considering it is primarily PA residents. I recently turned twenty-one and I'm looking to exercise my right to bear arms. My father and I hunted when I was younger but I don't have any experience with pistols. My father had me convinced pistols were dangerous and I had never shot anything but rifles and shotguns.

I'm older now and have the legal right to purchase a handgun and plan to do it. I also plan to get a LTCF. I was originally captivated by the size of the Walther PPK/S but after reading plenty of reviews and discussions online I think I may actually go with the Bersa Thunder 380 CC.

My main question is what am I required to have with me when I purchase the pistol, and what is the process? I have no idea what to expect out of all this and don't want to go to the gun store with nothing but money and ID and get denied.

Also, if you feel the need to comment on my firearm choice I won't object but my focus isn't "am I buying the right gun?"

Depending on how quick I get replies and what kind of replies I get, I might get this pistol tomorrow. I'm very excited.

Default Re: Purchasing First Pistol, What to Bring?

take your drivers license ....... and check book

(Cambria County)

Don't forget your social security number and street address and phone number of your employer.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    take your drivers license ....... and check book
    +1 to that

Welcome to the Forums, I've heard good things about the Bersa Thunder 380. Unfortunately this first purchase will undoubtedly change your financial life. Its like potato chips, you cant have just one

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Lancaster County)

Exclamation Re: Purchasing First Pistol, What to Bring?

Welcome Invisibleguests,

Like those fellas said, you'll need yourself, your pile of cash or credit and your ID.

I don't personally own a 380, but I've heard good things about the ballistics of 380.

Good luck and have fun shootin'.

I would like to add, since you're looking to exercise your 2Amend. rights, please help us all by voting Pro-2nd. If you're not familiar, groups such as NRA and GOA can help decide which candidates are worth voting for. When in doubt I go with the candidate rated best by the GOA, you can visit them at gunowners.org
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ” -Vladamir Lenin, Founder Communist Party USSR ... I hate to quote a commie, but when they ban your gun, you'll know who gave them the idea.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ronin View Post
    +1 to that

Welcome to the Forums, I've heard good things about the Bersa Thunder 380. Unfortunately this first purchase will undoubtedly change your financial life. Its like potato chips, you cant have just one
    Makes sense to me. I've already considered getting the PPK and the Thunder CC because I can't quite decide. I won't start getting two pistols in a row of the same caliber. I realized my address on my ID is way out of date so I guess I'll go get a new ID tomorrow followed by a trip to the local firearm dealer. Huzzah.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleGuests View Post
    Makes sense to me. I've already considered getting the PPK and the Thunder CC because I can't quite decide. I won't start getting two pistols in a row of the same caliber. I realized my address on my ID is way out of date so I guess I'll go get a new ID tomorrow followed by a trip to the local firearm dealer. Huzzah.
    I have the Bersa thunder .380. I decided on the standard model vs the CC model because I like the sights a whole lot better. I think it's an excellent choice for you as a first pistol. You will enjoy plinking with it and it has nice safety features.

I have several pistols, but the Bersa .380 is my everyday carry piece. It's a good size and very reliable. Get yourself some good hollow points for self defense and use FMJ rounds for target.

You should go to your local sheriff's office and obtain a LTCF. If for nothing else it relieves transporting hassles, but I think you plan on carrying anyhow

Oh yeah, shoot the gun often to become comfortable with handling it.

(Pike County)

I have the Bersa Thunder 380, it is a very under rated and well manufactured pistol.

Compared to the PPK, it is very comparable in size and a little lighter. Both shoot similarly with little muzzle flip, so recovery between shots is minimal. You can find the Bersa for around $250 and the PPK for around $525. They both field strip about the same for cleaning and maintenance.

Pick up a couple of extra magazines! BTW, the Bersa handles hollow points better than the PPK (or a Beretta for that matter).

I have other pistols, but find myself carrying the Bersa most often.

(Allegheny County)

InvisibleGuests,

Welcome to the forum!
    Glad to hear you're interested in concealed carry.

I'm not knocking the Bersa in any way here, but may I suggest taking a look at the Kel-Tec P3AT as well? I only mention it because you mentioned a .380 and you can't find one smaller than the Kel-Tec. (Oh, I ruled out the PPK early on too... nice handguns, but not for me)

And since you're from the Pittsburgh area, be sure to watch for our next pafoa group shoot! (shameless plug!) It's a GREAT way to learn about different firearms, try 'em out (we share our toys) and meet good people!
    You just missed the one on Sunday, We're trying to hold one each month.

Again, welcome and don't be afraid to use the search feature... if you can't find your answers there, just ask!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Potter County)

i have a bersa 380 on order, but in the mean time i purchased a kel-tec p-11 9mm

DA only, never cocked, 11 rounds, latest generation good accuracy at 7 yards no malfunctions at all

and at $239 not bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast