Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default Maryland is good for something

There's a river otter season. This one was traveling downstream, I could tell by how it had entered the trap before it fired. PA is upstream about a half mile or so, so I must have made the PGC happy that they didn't have yet another PA beaver trapper clogging the PGC freezers up with yet another otter. How strange that MD has a 10 per season bag limit in this county, but a half mile away in PA it's a closed season? Another PGC-ism...

My first this season, and may yet be my only 1 this season, they are one animal to be patient about in this area. Downstream several miles I am sure is choked up with them. I am told the eastern shore and southern MD are also chock full of them.

This one is a 17 pound female.

LOL, I am a woman...

(Columbia County)

Default Re: Maryland is good for something

Congrats! I just got two #3 dukes and set them for beavers, I found a place they keep comming to so I put a mud patty on shore and some castor on it. the other set is at a slide out of the water I hope I get one. never caught one before.

Nice lookin otter you got there.
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

Be sure and try the beaver meat. You have to trim the fat off as well as the tendons, and they have backstraps like deer, so be sure to strip them out too. I have been just stripping the meat by muscle group and into chunks and grinding it and my dad makes chili with it.

Oh yeah I caught nothing today, damned ice got most traps mucked up, but its supposed to warm up again. I stuck the otters butt glands in the middle of where I have 3 traps, hope to attract a big ol male. I think she was in heat too, so I turned the bladder inside out and left it and the vaginal tract there. Oh yeah otter gland stink smells skunky LOL.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Lawrence County)

Hey girl, it's supposed to read mid 40's here in town, I don't know about down there though... I know Texas is having it rough, hotter than heck down there...

I'm sure otters have a musky smell, not something I think I wanna mess with... More power to you... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Columbia County)

Nothing at either set. Moved the set at the slide because its covered by a few inches of ice. So, I put it downstream farther at some fairly fresh cuttings. I'll try to eat it. Why not I've tried groundhog.

Something took the glands and all away and even took the beaver glands I had downstream LOL. I could see tracks of something in the sandy mud junk under the water by where the otter glands had been. Hmm, male otter? If so he avoided my 330's. The beaver glands could have been taken by a fox, they do that. I squirted fish oil around, maybe that will get Mr Otter stupid. I caught 1 last year at an old beaver den hole that had some water going in it. There was a shelf inside to put bait or lure, so I squirted fish oil in there and took an otter gland and squeezed it, then put a 280 over the front of the hole along with guard sticks. Sadly the hole is now an eroded filled up mess and gets more eroded all the time, so I can't use it again. The freeze/ thaw cycles really do that bad.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Columbia County)

I almost caught a very large dog in a beaver set his tracks went all around the trap another inch or two and i would have got it. Good thin i didnt as i was in a town and it probly wasnt a song dog. After that I went up river a little ways and found more cuttings but I dont have anymore traps to cover it

I finally caught a mink for this season, it was in my wet drainage ditch 160. I have caught mink there before, and last year I also got a muskrat in this set.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Columbia County)

Speaking of rats, They worked my sets over pretty good last night. And I added a set upstream. I hope I don't get any rats.

If you have your pan tension up to 3-4 pounds you will avoid the rats but still catch a beaver.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast