Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Question PIC and permit to carry

Hello everyone! I'm very new to firearm ownership and have, what might be considered, a stupid question...
    What is the difference between the backround check that is done when purchasing a firearm, and the backround check that is done to license one to carry a concealed firearm?
    I'm waiting for my permit to be approved, but can't help but wonder why it takes up to 45 days.

PS I'm glad to see that there are several ladies that post on here. My husband always says, "There's nothing sexier, than a woman with a gun!"

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by klpolk3
    I'm waiting for my permit to be approved, but can't help but wonder why it takes up to 45 days.
    Aahhh...

the beauty of bureocracy!!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

What is the difference between the background check that is done when purchasing a firearm, and the background check that is done to license one to carry a concealed firearm?

I'm waiting for my permit to be approved, but can't help but wonder why it takes up to 45 days."
    Part one: the only stupid question is the one that was not asked before an incident happens. In guns, there are no stupid questions.

Part two: The background to buy basically searches to see if you have a criminal history that would make it potentially unsafe for the public if you had a gun at home.

The background check to see if you can Carry is to see if you have any thing in history that would make it unsafe for you to carry on the street.

One takes into consideration you will buy a gun drive home, put it away and some times go to a gun club to practice, the other means you will buy a gun, go home put it on your belt or other choice of carry and walk around the general public with it.

Think of it this way, any one can buy a car, DUI or age doesn't matter. If you have a DUI you could also have a driver, Many children stars own cars that adults drive for them. This would be like the purchase check.

To get a drivers permit (licence) one has to pass a test, some times bring in medical information, you might have restrictions, glasses, no night driving, weight classifications. They verify more information to see if you can "drive' on the street, they couldnt care less that you can afford a car or not. This would be more comparable to the carry check.

Think 45 days is rough? Try this on for size, When I applied to come to the US, took over 18 months to get my papers, presently there are people who are on a waiting list for over 5 years! Background check for that includes finger printing and a complete social background check. IE Imagine the local Sheriff saying you cant carry a gun, because the people you live next to are criminals. Or you cant own a gun because your Brother was once arrested...

We have it nice here, 45 days is peanuts. In some countries you wait up to 2 years after you send in your papers to buy a handgun! And there is no carry permit there at all!
    In Quebec, if you own a gun and take it out of your House/appartment/place of business, you can drive the shortest route to your gun club where you need to show proof that you are a member to even have the right to carry in a locked case.

If the authorities think you drove a route other then the direct route there, or stopped some where to buy a pepsi and left the gun in your car in its locked case, you can lose your gun(s) [even the ones safely at home] and the privelage to ever own again!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Cumberland County)

Smile Thanks Frenchy

That does clear up my confusion. And I guess we don't have it so bad here. As a matter of fact, I live only 2 miles from a State Game Lands public range, which my husband and I frequent several times a week, and a man from Virginia couldn't tell us enough about how lucky we are that the great state of PA actually offers public ranges.

The other reason is if it was 24 hours, the Sheriff or issuing authority would not have much time to do any thing else...

Coffee, doughnuts, driving around, girl watching... Important things in life!

Just a joke My LEO friends! I Appreciate your work.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood

(Allegheny County)

It doesn't explain why times vary so much within the state. I parked my car in the lot in front of the city-county building, walked over to the courthouse filled out the form, gave em my license and took the picture. Had my lil card and back in the car in less than 25 minutes in Allegheny County. So why do some counties drag it out so long?

Quote Originally Posted by plr16
    It doesn't explain why times vary so much within the state. I parked my car in the lot in front of the city-county building, walked over to the courthouse filled out the form, gave em my license and took the picture. Had my lil card and back in the car in less than 25 minutes in Allegheny County. So why do some counties drag it out so long?
    Dunkin doughnuts is further down the road! How PLR this week, missed you a few times, Change shifts?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Clint Eastwood

(Northumberland County)

In northumberland county there is NO difference between the checks. When you apply for a LTCF you get run through PICS and basically fill out a form that has many of the same questions that are on the purchase form.

Northumberland county also issues instantly, so they obviously don't perform an indepth investigation. As long as the criminal record is clean they issue.

Other counties actually call your references, and do an actual "investigation" not just a PICS and warrant check. These are counties that take longer. Some other counties have a part time person who does background checks for firearms licenses and they are only in once a week or something like that, they also take longer than 20 minutes to get a permit.

(Allegheny County)

Well now i know. That answers my question.

(Butler County)

When my neighbors applied for their CCWs they put my name down as a reference. A sheriff's deputy called me and asked The Usual Questions. Then he asked "So, do they have any problem with drinking or taking drugs?"

"Oh, no, officer," I replied, "They don't have any trouble drinking or taking drugs!"

There was this looooooong silence on the other end of the line.... but they got their CCWs.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    (Last words of Gen. John Sedgwick, referring to Confederate sharpshooters 1000 yds. away, at the battle of Spotsylvania Court House, May 9, 1864)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast