Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default U.S. House Bill--- H.R. 45 (A National Gun Licensing & Registration Bill!)

Hi friends! It didn't take long for the anti-gun ownership zealots in congress to get gun control legislation introduced. Coincidentally, this congressman from Illinois just happens to be from OBrezhnev's home congressional district. The NRA-ILA story below highlights some of the more onerous and unconstitutional provisions in the proposed bill.

Big Brother's New Target: Tracking Firearms

Friday, January 23, 2009

U.S. Representative Bobby Rush (D-Ill.) recently sponsored H.R. 45, also known as "Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act." The bill is, at its core and as its name implies, a licensing and registration scheme.

The measure calls for all handgun owners to submit to the federal government an application that shall include, among many other things: a photo; an address; a thumbprint; a completed, written firearm safety test; private mental health records; and a fee. And those are only some of the requirements to be licensed!

The bill would further require the attorney general to establish a database of every handgun sale, transfer, and owner's address in America. Moreover, the bill would make it illegal to own or possess a "qualifying firearm" -- defined as "any handgun; or any semiautomatic firearm that can accept any detachable ammunition feeding device…" [emphasis added] without one of the proposed licenses.

Additionally, the bill would make it illegal to transfer ownership of a "qualifying firearm" to anyone who is not a licensed gun dealer or collector (with very few exceptions), and would require "qualifying firearm" owners to report all transfers to the attorney general's database. It would also be illegal for a licensed gun owner to fail to record a gun loss or theft within 72 hours, or fail to report a change of address within 60 days. Further, if a minor obtains a firearm and injures someone with it, the owner of the firearm may face a multiple-year jail sentence.

H.R. 45 is essentially a reintroduction of H.R. 2666, which Rush introduced in 2007. H.R. 2666 contained much of the same language as H.R. 45, and was co-sponsored by several well-known anti-gun legislators--including Barack Obama's chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel. H.R. 45 currently has no co-sponsors.

Rest assured that NRA-ILA will continue to monitor this bill closely, and will keep you informed of any developments if they materialize.

To view the complete text of the bill, please click here.

Copyright 2009, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
    This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.
    Contact Us | Privacy & Security Policy

(Bucks County)

Default Re: U.S. House Bill--- H.R. 45 (A National Gun Licensing & Registration Bill!)

This stuff will be never ending for the next 4 years. JOIN NRA, not perfect but best chance we got.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: U.S. House Bill--- H.R. 45 (A National Gun Licensing & Registration Bill!)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    This stuff will be never ending for the next 4 years. JOIN NRA, not perfect but best chance we got.
    I would also add GOA to that as well. Join both we need all the help we can get.
    Politicians who fear the people seek to disarm them.

People who fear their government's intentions refuse to be disarmed.

Default Is bill lying in wait to ban handguns?

You all are within a hair width of losing ALL of your gun rights!

And 99.99% of you are still blind to the enemies plan and still asking your government for permission to do things like open carry or concealed carry.

Rather when you should be making it clear to them that this is a God given right and not a permission.

I give it a year or two and all of you here will be criminals. To make it worse you are letting it happen and playing right into the enemies hand.

Keep asking the enemy to give you more "permissions."

Is bill lying in wait to ban handguns?

Posted: February 23, 2009
    10:13 pm Eastern

By Drew Zahn
    © 2009 WorldNetDaily

Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill.

Tucked away in committee on Capitol Hill is a firearm licensing bill that Second Amendment advocates worry may just be waiting for the right "Columbine moment" to emerge and effectively ban handguns in the U.S.

As WND reported, U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill., sponsored H.R. 45, an extensive licensure law that creates a national database of current firearm owners, requires psychiatric testing and fingerprinting to obtain a license and places new restrictions on gun use and storage.

Mike Hammond, legal advisor with Gun Owners of America, told WND that H.R. 45 gives the federal government so much power over gun ownership, that the wrong administration could use it to "bring gun ownership in America to an end."

"It takes semi-automatic firearms and handguns – the guns people use for personal self-defense," Hammond said, "and sets up a licensure system, that is, the government would have to give you permission to own a gun. The government can therefore also deny that permission, and it would mean an anti-gun administration could use it to effectively ban most guns from private ownership.

"Even if you are willing to undergo a psychiatric exam, be fingerprinted and do what the bill requires to obtain a license, the law still requires the guns be unloaded and locked up," Hammond added. "It renders the gun practically unavailable for self-defense."

And even though H.R. 45 has remained dormant in the House Judiciary Committee since it was introduced, Hammond told WND that his organization is worried it may not stay there.

"Our concern is that Rep. Rush comes from same political machine that Barack Obama comes from," Hammond said. "So we have a real concern that Rush's introduction of this reflects the thinking of an Obama administration. And while we don't think this bill will be the first thing that the president pushes, before the Obama administration uses a Columbine incident to bring the bill alive, while it's still lying on its back [in committee], we want to put a stake through its heart."

Hammond summarized, "Ultimately if a license system is in place, any anti-gun administration can come after your guns."

H.R. 45, alternatively known as "Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009," is named after an Illinois teenager killed by gunshot.

According the bill's text, "On the afternoon of May 10, 2007, Blair Holt, a junior at Julian High School in Chicago, was killed on a public bus riding home from school when he used his body to shield a girl who was in the line of fire after a young man boarded the bus and started shooting."

The bill then argues that interstate firearm trafficking and children dying from gun violence create legitimate cause for the federal government to monitor gun ownership and transfers in new ways.

The bill claims its purpose is "to protect the public against the unreasonable risk of injury and death associated with the unrecorded sale or transfer of firearms to criminals and youth."

If passed, the bill would make it illegal to own or possess a "qualifying firearm" – defined as any handgun or any semiautomatic firearm that takes an ammunition clip – without a "Blair Holt" license.

To obtain a "Blair Holt" license, an application must be made that includes a photo, address, all previous aliases, thumb print, completion of a written firearm safety test and release of mental health records to the attorney general.

Further, the bill makes it illegal to transfer ownership of a qualifying firearm to anyone who is not a licensed gun dealer or collector. Exceptions to this rule include transfer to family members by gift or bequest and loans, not to exceed 30 days, of a firearm for lawful purposes "between persons who are personally known to each other."

The bill also requires qualifying firearm owners to report all transfers to the attorney general's database. It would also be illegal for a licensed gun owner to fail to record a gun loss or theft within 72 hours or fail to report a change of address within 60 days.

And if a minor obtains a weapon and injures someone with it, the owner of the gun – if deemed to have failed to meet certain safety requirements – faces a multiple-year jail sentence.

H.R. 45 is a resurfacing of 2007's H.R. 2666, which contained much of the same language and was co-sponsored by 15 other representatives and Barack Obama's current chief of staff, Rahm Emmanuel. H.R. 2666 was also assigned to the House Judiciary committee, where no action was taken.

H.R. 45 currently has no co-sponsors and is likewise assigned to the House Judiciary committee.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Is bill lying in wait to ban handguns?

What kills me is that Bobby Rush was a Black Panther back in the day. I don't know if he was ever convicted of anything.
    NRA Benefactor

I wouldn't hold my breath.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Armstrong County)

Already being discussed U.S. House Bill--- H.R. 45 (A National Gun Licensing & Registration Bill!)

Please merge topics

An OC Activist
    Ed
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by edstephan View Post
    Already being discussed U.S. House Bill--- H.R. 45 (A National Gun Licensing & Registration Bill!)

Please merge topics

An OC Activist
    Ed
    Thanks Ed, topics merged...(although, I think there is another thread on HR 45 somewhere)

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Luzerne County)

But Obama and the demoncrat controlled congress are going to be too busy dealing with the economy to ban guns...

Didn't you hear?

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    But Obama and the demoncrat controlled congress are going to be too busy dealing with the economy to ban guns...

Didn't you hear?
    I heard, and dismissed that silly notion every time I've seen it written anywhere. It's amazing to see how naive some people are. These pieces of shit in Washington will make criminals out of us sooner than I thought. I guess I'll have to rent a boat and dump all of my guns at sea.

If anyone needs further proof that the Dems want to disarm the law abiding citizens, just look at what they are proposing these days. Do you really think that criminals will register their already illegal firearms? What a joke.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast