Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adjusting fixed sights

So my Heritage arms 22 groups great with CCI 22 LR. The only problem is that it hits about 4" low. I guess I could just aim high but I don't like doing that. I could adjust the elevation by filing down the front sight or I could probably just notch it for elevation adjustments. Anyone have experience with this? Only the elevation needs to be adjusted.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Adjusting fixed sights

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    So my Heritage arms 22 groups great with CCI 22 LR. The only problem is that it hits about 4" low. I guess I could just aim high but I don't like doing that. I could adjust the elevation by filing down the front sight or I could probably just notch it for elevation adjustments. Anyone have experience with this? Only the elevation needs to be adjusted.
    As you change ammo brands, you aim will also change, when you go to shoot 22 mags there will be a big change in where you must aim, just learn to shoot the gun as it is, if you want a gun that you can make all kinds of adjustments to, buy a brand name target 22 pistol, any ruger mk series, or s and w 22 victory, other wise just enjoy what you have, and by the way, that rough rider will teach you more about shooting than any brand name gun, it's a challange, the question is, are you up to it.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Bucks County)

LOL!!! I had my new Rough Rider to an indoor range last night, shooting it for the first time, and to an outdoor gun club range this afternoon. Total about a hundred rounds. I swear, my Heritage knows which hand I am using! It shoots slightly left in my right hand, and slightly right in my left hand. Tried differing grips, assisting grips, finger pad/joint engagements...so far unable to change what is happening.

Unless I have accidentally acquired a "smart gun", I know it lies with me and it's going to take some time and practice to learn the gun (as well as breaking it in).

To respond on subject, I would not touch anything on the gun until time, practice and numbers of rounds have accumulated to where the gun has been learned, broken in, differences in various ammos are tracked. These Rough Riders are convertible...22LR/.22 Magnum...and making changes to it for .22LR may be irreversible if a .22 magnum cylinder is installed. (New purchasers of .22LR only get a company coupon to get the magnum cylinder for $29.99 and nominal shipping).

Naming CCI as the ammo is incomplete information about the ammo. Is it high velocity or standard velocity? Grain weight? And at what distance were you shooting?

Fun gun!!!
    Last edited by Bang; August 17th, 2016 at 08:20 PM.

Ya, I guess I need to practice more. The windage hasn't been an issue just the elevation. I was thinking I could maybe mark the back of the front blade sight for elevation. I already have the magnum cylinder. They hit about 4" low as well. I read online that gun manufactures often make the front blades too tall intentionally so they can be filed down by the shooter. My buddy told me he had to file down the front blade on his muzzleloader.

(Bucks County)

I was shooting pumpkin on a post at 15 yards and it was POI about an inch low. If it turns out to be that beyond doubt, I'll probably just sight the front blade sticking up a smidge higher above the rear notch. Meanwhile, an inch low at 15 yards may be that the bullet is still climbing and will be hitting a little higher at 25 yards. That seemed to be the case at the indoor range. Time will tell.

I walked downrange (nobody around) to shoot at some hanging/swinging stuff at the .22 range but in bright sunlight I couldn't make out the rear notch very well and gave up.

(Lackawanna County)

If you shoot .22mag in there, I'll bet it will be spot on. Just aim high with the .22LR.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    LOL!!! I had my new Rough Rider to an indoor range last night, shooting it for the first time, and to an outdoor gun club range this afternoon. Total about a hundred rounds. I swear, my Heritage knows which hand I am using! It shoots slightly left in my right hand, and slightly right in my left hand. Tried differing grips, assisting grips, finger pad/joint engagements...so far unable to change what is happening.

Unless I have accidentally acquired a "smart gun", I know it lies with me and it's going to take some time and practice to learn the gun (as well as breaking it in).

To respond on subject, I would not touch anything on the gun until time, practice and numbers of rounds have accumulated to where the gun has been learned, broken in, differences in various ammos are tracked. These Rough Riders are convertible...22LR/.22 Magnum...and making changes to it for .22LR may be irreversible if a .22 magnum cylinder is installed. (New purchasers of .22LR only get a company coupon to get the magnum cylinder for $29.99 and nominal shipping).

Naming CCI as the ammo is incomplete information about the ammo. Is it high velocity or standard velocity? Grain weight? And at what distance were you shooting?

Fun gun!!!
    It sounds like you jerk the gun when you pull the trigger. That's why the POI charges when you switch hands. I am careful to "squeeze" the trigger rather than "pull" it. I haven't had any windage issues just elevation and everything I've shot out of it seems to hit low.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I was shooting pumpkin on a post at 15 yards and it was POI about an inch low. If it turns out to be that beyond doubt, I'll probably just sight the front blade sticking up a smidge higher above the rear notch. Meanwhile, an inch low at 15 yards may be that the bullet is still climbing and will be hitting a little higher at 25 yards. That seemed to be the case at the indoor range. Time will tell.

I walked downrange (nobody around) to shoot at some hanging/swinging stuff at the .22 range but in bright sunlight I couldn't make out the rear notch very well and gave up.
    Bullets don't climb.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    To answer your question, Yes, filing the front sight down in very small increments until POA & POI match is the proper mechanical fix if your going to stick with a know cartridge for the most part. Using Kentucky windage with all cartridges is your other option.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Bullets don't climb.
    Bullets travel a (generally) parabolic arc. In a vacuum (like one finds all the time in physics class) they would follow a true parabolic arc. Granted, it is a very wide, flat arc, but it is still an arc.

Given that iron sights are at least slightly above the bore line, and scopes are definitely above the bore line, the only way for the bullet to hit where the sights are aimed is for the sight line and bore line to be converging, or not parallel. Assuming a perfectly level sight line the bore line must - by necessity - climb for the bullet to ever meet the sight line. On - for example - a standard M-16A2 (the rifle with which I am most familiar), the sights are adjusted for this to happen at 25 meters. The parabolic trajectory of the bullet will have it passing back down through the sight line at 300 meters. Closer than 25 meters and the round will still be below the sight line (though still well within minute-of-bad-guy), at about 175 meters it will reach its highest point (between-the-eyes aiming won't get the desired results), and past 300 meters it drops faster the further out you go.

Bang's statement addresses this. If you mean that bullets don't travel in an upward arc I agree. But bullets most certainly do "climb" until they reach their apex, unless the barrel is aimed downward, in which case the arc would still have the bullet climbing *relative to the sight line*.

My 3¢

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast