Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Abbottstown/Hanover/Gettysburg area, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)

Default Smith & Wesson Model 60 and Laser Sight

When I was purchasing a Sccy Semi, the other day, I was shown a revolver with the red laser. I am not sure of make etc. Anyway pressure on the grip activates the laser. He told me he could put one on the S&W model 60. This is my wife's revolver which she may carry. If anyone has any experience with this type laser please let me know the good or bad. I am trying to justify that much money. For about twice the price I could purchase another Smith, not that we need another. seems like the laser would give her more confidence if she were to pull it on some one and it could act as a deterent. She is not an experience shooter, but has shot 38 revolvers before.

Default Re: Smith & Wesson Model 60 and Laser Sight

Quote Originally Posted by strickler613 View Post
    When I was purchasing a Sccy Semi, the other day, I was shown a revolver with the red laser. I am not sure of make etc. Anyway pressure on the grip activates the laser. He told me he could put one on the S&W model 60. This is my wife's revolver which she may carry. If anyone has any experience with this type laser please let me know the good or bad. I am trying to justify that much money. For about twice the price I could purchase another Smith, not that we need another. seems like the laser would give her more confidence if she were to pull it on some one and it could act as a deterent. She is not an experience shooter, but has shot 38 revolvers before.
    Laser are probably going to cost you $160+ for any gun these days, they have a popularity thing going, even more if you get the new Green Laser (very visible by day and goes further) Its mainly a novelty thing, if you shoot a lot, you will tire of it and change back, if she needs a point and click device, its worth the bucks.

There is no replacing good habits and practice, but Laser comes close second for lazy people.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Abbottstown/Hanover/Gettysburg area, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)

Maybe I better think seriously about it. At this point she falls in the lazy, non believer, catagory. It would give her confidence and if she is lucky the person who has the lazer dot on, might just run away. Thanks for your comments.

(Allegheny County)

If this the 3" barrel, IMHO a snubbie really doesn't need a laser because it's mainly a close-in weapon. I wouldn't invest in a laser for a snubbie. But then again I doubt I'd ever buy a laser at all. Yes I guess my opinion is biased.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Northampton County)

If any gun can benefit from a laser it is the snubbie. On my stainless 2 inch the sights are tiny, white and hard to see. Also close together. None this helps a long shot. On a very close in shot the sights probably don't matter much.

I tested my crimson trace laser on the smith 642 over a sand bag at 50 feet.

Even with the heavy double action pull I could keep all of the the shots on a three inch post-it -note. I don't feel I need it on my 15 shot pistol with the good sights. But on the 5 shooter they seem to be a real good idea.

(Erie County)

They are crimsontrace. Had them for my Sig 226 and now for My Sig 220. I've used them since 2004, great training aid and once you get them fine tuned no matter where you put the dot the bullet will follow (within reason).

Inside they are a dream, at night they are a dream - outside in bright light you wont see the dot past 7-10 yards. Overcast day I can see the dot out to 25 yards.

You can practice and practice until you are blue in the face without any improvement but if you can see what you are doing just as the trigger breaks it can help improve.

I tune mine to be even at 15 yards - using proper sight alignment I put the red dot on top of the front post - everything else after that is gravy.

Much easier to operate than the guide rod lasers.