Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Choosing a New Hunting Rifle

Well, as I sold my Winchester Model 70 last week, I am going to need another rifle for deer season this year.

I have already selected which model/manufacturer I want to get (CZ550 with the full stock). However, I am a little stuck on which caliber to get. Right now I am looking at the 6.5 Swede (one of my favorite cartridges) and the .270. I really dont care about ammo availability since I can get anything I need online, however, I am a little confused as to which cartridge is going to be the best for the type of hunting I am going to do.

I plan to use the rifle as my dedicated deer rifle, while doubling as a groundhog exploder. The longest shots I will be taking (that I feel comfortable taking at this point) will be around 300 yards, with the average somewhere between 35 and 75 yards (most deer are taken at that range on the property I hunt).

Any insight as to one caliber being better than the other will be great. Also, try to keep it objective. I know how people can be with the pistol defense caliber debate, so lets try to keep it out of this thead :P

Here is a link to the rifle I am going to get:
    http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=17

And no, I am not going to get it in 9.3x64mm

(Berks County)

Default Re: Choosing a New Hunting Rifle

Excellent choice in manufacture and model. Mannlicher w/a Bavarian style butt stock with it's graceful lines has timeless beauty. So great to see such a choice as it rises above the swampful of black synthetics.

6.5 x 55 inherently more accurate ballistically, very balanced, & milder recoil.
    6.5 has better sectional density bullets from 120 -160 grain
    If buying only new ammo Hornady Light Mag & European ammo will give higher performance then standard loads.
    If handloading it can really come alive and perform w/the .270, but surpasses it in hunting Elk, Moose, and Bear with the killer 160 grain load.

If only buying new ammo the .270 has much more variety, but lighter varmint bullets may not give the accuracy hoped for. However it's one of the great all around cartridges.

6.5x55 gets my vote based on balanced cartridge performance, and matching the timeless Euro look & cartridge.
    Last edited by Guns & Glass; February 23rd, 2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Spelling

(Bucks County)

6.5x55 is such a sweet round. I don't do any hunting with it, but it's really really nice to shoot. I love shooting my Swede Mauser, it's just a pleasant gun to shoot.

You've got me looking at those CZ's now...

Ruger also makes the 77 Mark II in an "International" layout, the full stock, available in 6.5x55.

(Delaware County)

Def go with the 6.5x55. I have a Ruger M77 Mark II RSI (Stainless manlicher), Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight, Howa 1500 Lightening, T/C Encore, and a CZ 550 American all in 6.5x55. I am about as obsessed with that round as anyone can be. I love it. As far as the rifles looks, the Model 70 featherweight is the best overall quality if you ask me, followed by the CZ. The T/C actually shoots the best, then the Howa, followed by the Model 70 and the CZ shooting about the same. I have not fired the Ruger, keeping it new in box. They were made special edition (only 300 or 500 of them, I forget) last year and I picked one up at a decent price. Here's a pic of the Ruger.

(Clearfield County)

I bought a new (additional) deer rifle about a year and a half ago for my ill fated trip to Missouri (lazy guide). Being an engineer I went through a lot of analysis, comparisons, opinions and gut feel, then selected the .270 WSM.

I'd be hard pressed to repeat the reasoning, but you might want to consider taking a look at it.
    "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." G.K. Chesterton

(Allegheny County)

I've taken many a deer with a basic Remington 700 model .270 with a fixed 4x leopold scope

(Bucks County)

I gave my opinion to Feddog about the CZ in 6.5X55. I put a picture of mine on one of the forums.
    As far as the Win. Ruger, Howa, Rem., Mossberg, TC are concerned none of them can hold a candle to the value of the CZ. The CZ's trigger alone makes the rifle a standout. I am still covinced it is the best bang for the buck when everything is taken into consideration.
    Go with the 6.5X55, it is a great cartridge; even better when hand loaded.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by sksmith75 View Post
    I bought a new (additional) deer rifle about a year and a half ago for my ill fated trip to Missouri (lazy guide). Being an engineer I went through a lot of analysis, comparisons, opinions and gut feel, then selected the .270 WSM.

I'd be hard pressed to repeat the reasoning, but you might want to consider taking a look at it.
    I don't NEED a magnum cartridge for where and what I am hunting. Hell, I could use a .223 or .243 and do the job just as well as most of the shots are taken between 50 and 75 yards with the longest one to date (on the property my uncle owns) being ~350 yards (taken with a .270). I also really dont like short mags and the price of the magnum cartridges makes me cringe since I dont reload

(Centre County)

Question for all the people who love the 6.5x55.

Why is it a superior round to the .30-06? Forgive me if this has already been hashed out in other threads.

(Bucks County)

Lexnaturalis,
    Who here said it was superior to the '06? The 6.5X55 is a great round. Easy to shoot, accurate, great selection of bullets, great ballistics, recoil is easy to handle. Used in Scaninavia for hunting moose. What more could you want?
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast