Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Various Pistol Prices versus 1911 Price

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    FWIW, I wouldn't buy any Kimber in production today...I'd buy a base SA or Colt and modify it to suit, or buy a semi-custom. But that's just me.
    +1...

However, If I was able to find a nice Clackamas for the right price... That would be a little bit different (although the "right price" would also have to be unrealistically low... I'm just not that into the 1911 to justify the price of a decent-quality Kimber). Just my opinion...

Regards,

Bones

Kimbers = looks. Thats the best way to put it, they make a good gun and they are quality firearms but so does a Colt and they are way more reasonably priced than a Kimber. Dont get me wrong i have a Kimber Grand Raptor II and its gorgeous, fits goods, shoots good but if your looking at it from that perspective so does a Colt. All 1911's have the same look and pretty much the same feel. You can change a bazillion things on them to make them look different or feel different but they overall look the same. I havent shot a Para or a Wesson so i can not say anything about them but i can say about the Colt and Kimber and the Kimber is a "Safe Queen" at my house. It gets shot every now but thats about it. Just get what you like, nobody can MAKE you do anything and if you have a hair up your ass for something go get it nobodys stopping you. Most will agree though if your new to pistols to get or shoot a 9mm first. So you can practice alot, and have a good time without a hole in your wallet, but who knows maybe your a millionaire and can afford every bullet known to mankind.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Bucks County)

Definitely not a millionaire :P Like I said, my first purchase will probably be the Para ordnance Carry 9, which is a "1911" in 9mm.

Don't get hung up on a Kimber. Check out some other guns, hold them in your hand, pull the trigger. I just bought a Loaded Springfield 1911 for $760 and it is beautiful. I'm up to around 600 rds with no problems, super accurate, great trigger. I'm sure other 1911's are just as good for under $1000. To be honest alot of the stupid so called extras should be standard just to make the gun reliable. Like the lowered ejection port, integrated feed ramp, beveled mag well all should be standard and would not cost much more to produce.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDaniels2006 View Post
    Definitely not a millionaire :P Like I said, my first purchase will probably be the Para ordnance Carry 9, which is a "1911" in 9mm.
    Wise choice young satchawan.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

The Para 1911 I have on order, will be $5 more than my XD.

(Wayne County)

My understanding on the differences in pricing on some of the higher end pistols vs. mid-price vs. low price comes out to a couple of variables.

1. Materials. Better materials = more expensive gun.
    2. Machining. Higher end guns have more "hands on" finishing and fitting to ensure tighter fitting slides, etc. to eliminate slop. Some guns are CNC milled and thrown together with very little regard to how they are fitted. They may still serve you well but will, most likely, wear out faster.
    3. Marketing. If it's new, it's more expensive. If it's more expensive, it must be better. Not always the case. Years ago I sold Chryslers. When the Neon came out, we were selling them for $2K OVER full sticker price and couldn't keep them on the lot for more than a day. Good marketing. OK car.

RE: 1911 vs. polymer frame. Personal preference. I own both. I first bought a Charles Daly 1911. It had poor machining and bad fitting. I traded that and a Taurus 85 + $200 and got a Colt 1991A1. You get what you pay for! I finally broke down and got a polymer framed autoloader after trying a friends. I got a KelTec P11. Glocks are nice but I've got small hands and just can't use them comfortably. The KelTec was affordable (half the cost of a Glock), light for CC, and more importantly, I could shoot it comfortably. I love it.

With that said, I believe KelTec even acknowledges that they only expect it to handle 4-5K rounds before it requires some repair work. If you don't intend to shoot it much, no problem. My father has several guns he hasn't fired a combined 400 rounds through. There are others here who have more expensive pistols that have eaten through thousands of rounds and are just like new. You get what you pay for.

Better yet, if you have any other questions and don't want to raise any more hackles, PM me and I'll at least give you my 2 cents worth. Just know ahead of time, I'm no expert. Otherwise, stick with the post. Some folks can get cranky, but it's a good place to be overall!

Hope it helps.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

I just bought a 'new' Stainless Steel, Charles Daly for $420

For a cheap 1911 it's much nicer than I expected it to be.... no it's not gonna shoot like a Wilson Combat or STI and the rest of the high $$$$ guns, But a little at a time I can add here and there and end up with a really nice 1911.

You can find Springfield Mil-Specs for under $600.... Para even has a mil-spec, 'expert' 1911 now that's pretty cheap. Shyda's in Lebanon, PA sells blue, Kimber Pro Carry's for less than $800 2.5 hour ride from Philly.

A nice 1911 can be had for a decent price. Might take a little leg work.
    Last edited by tdyoung58; February 23rd, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Berks County)

I picked up my SA loaded for 735 this week, Im more than happy with it. when you feel just how tight all the machining is on these compaired to another firearm you will see why. and mid range guns get better parts but in them. you get a lot more for a little more money. matched barrels, better triggers, better sights, it all adds up.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDaniels2006 View Post
    Yep, I would stay far away from that gun right there.

9mm 1911's run like crap anyway...let alone Para's, let alone LDA Para's.

You've been warned (so far by two of us)...your call, now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast