Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Various Pistol Prices versus 1911 Price

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDaniels2006 View Post
    Right. So, in this analogy the glock is the wheel barrel, right, and the 1911 is the ...whatever pick up truck you're talking about.

So, the wheel barrel moves at like 4 mph, pushed, the car moves at 60mph, no effort, carries bigger loads..

Yes, I see the advantages there. But what advantages do the 1911s have over the glock/xd/m&p? They have less firepower, for the most part, so, what advantages do they have?

As of yet, no one has mentioned any advantage, but rather instead complained about the price of the glock...So I'm starting to think there is no advantage? In which case my 1911 purchase would just be vanity. Which I'm fine with by the way, but still, I'd love to hear why the 1911 should be more expensive than the glock/xd/m&p, which are all reliable weapons.

I think so far the only real response has been "because they're made of metal"...? Is that it?
    The question is "Why is a 1911 more expensive then a Glock / XD / M&P"... so thats really what is being anwsered
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDaniels2006 View Post
    Right. So, in this analogy the glock is the wheel barrel, right, and the 1911 is the ...whatever pick up truck you're talking about.

So, the wheel barrel moves at like 4 mph, pushed, the car moves at 60mph, no effort, carries bigger loads.. But you still can't bring it up a 2X10 ramp to the first floor...

Yes, I see the advantages there. But what advantages do the 1911s have over the glock/xd/m&p? They have less firepower, for the most part, so, what advantages do they have?

As of yet, no one has mentioned any advantage, but rather instead complained about the price of the glock...So I'm starting to think there is no advantage? In which case my 1911 purchase would just be vanity. Which I'm fine with by the way, but still, I'd love to hear why the 1911 should be more expensive than the glock/xd/m&p, which are all reliable weapons.

I think so far the only real response has been "because they're made of metal"...? Is that it?
    Right, now move along... Comparing a mid end 1911 to a Glock, it is obvious you do not want the answer, you just want to troll a little..
    I am surprized you did not choose to compare a top end 1911 to a Highpoint.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    The question is "Why is a 1911 more expensive then a Glock / XD / M&P"... so thats really what is being anwsered
    It was answered?

You're saying the reason is because its made of metal? Thats it? Or did I miss something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Right, now move along... Comparing a mid end 1911 to a Glock, it is obvious you do not want the answer, you just want to troll a little..
    I am surprized you did not choose to compare a top end 1911 to a Highpoint.
    1) I'm not trolling
    2) I have no idea what a high point is
    3) I didn't know Kimber was a mid end 1911, figured they were high end

How is this trolling? What is so unreasonable about my question.

It's a very, very simple question: Why should I pay $900 for a good 1911 when I can pay $500 for a glock? What advantages does the 1911 have?

So far the answer is: 1911 is made of metal,

Another answer was, using the analogy anyways, the 1911 is like a car, compared to the glock which is like a wheel barrow. I'd love to know how the poster came to that conclusion though.

I promise you this is not a troll post, I have no idea why you'd think it was, either. But lol @ "why is the 1911 so much more money than the glock" "OMG YOU ******* TROLL!!" - seriously, man?

**I Should probably make it clear that I don't know very much about pistols. I don't own one, and am looking to buy. So maybe what I'm writing appears trollish and I just don't know enough to realize why? But if thats the case, feel free to explain.
    Last edited by JohnDaniels2006; February 23rd, 2009 at 04:14 PM.

If you want a mass produced tool, that performs perfectly adequately, buy a Glock.

If you want a semi-custom firearm that is every bit as reliable, looks and feels better, and is more accurate, consider a Kimber or more expensive 1911.

As has already been pointed out, a 1911 doesn't have to cost more than a Glock. In fact, you can have a perfectly functional and quite accurate 1911 for more than a $100 less than it costs to buy a Glock. Since this has been pointed out, your later posts complaining that you are not trolling ring a little hollow.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    If you want a mass produced tool, that performs perfectly adequately, buy a Glock.

If you want a semi-custom firearm that is every bit as reliable, looks and feels better, and is more accurate, consider a Kimber or more expensive 1911.

As has already been pointed out, a 1911 doesn't have to cost more than a Glock. In fact, you can have a perfectly functional and quite accurate 1911 for more than a $100 less than it costs to buy a Glock. Since this has been pointed out, your later posts complaining that you are not trolling ring a little hollow.
    omg, you guys over use the word troll, i swear to god. You answered my question, apparently 1911s are more accurate than glocks (looks and feels better are pretty subjective). So that's the answer, right? They're more expensive because they are more accurate guns.

By the way, why is the glock a 'tool' and the 1911 is a 'firearm', in your post?

edit: by the way, what exactly is my angle with the trolling? What do you think I'm implying? I'm the guy who wants to get a 1911 - so what exactly is my trolling goal?

(Centre County)

You want the real answer.

People are willing to pay more for a 1911 made by Kimber than a X model Glock on average. Price is relative only in terms of people willing to render a sum of common tender (money) in exchange for a product (in this case pistol).

In truth we could go on for days explaining relative merits of particular caliber weapons/rounds, on and on about markets (how prices are set, marketing techniques, targeting/creating niche markets) or we could cite ad-nauseum test x done by country y showing what pistol is the most reliable, deadly, insert desire trait here.

Purchasing a pistol is an incredibly personal subject. It is a matter of finding something that "works" for you. I can't tell you why person Z wants to pay whatever price. It is personal preference. I think Glocks are overall excellent weapons that are highly reliable and function very well. That being said I will probably never own one because they don't fit me "right." I also won't buy Nike shoes, but that doesn't make them bad shoes. They just don't fit me.

If you want to know how a 1911 is manufactured and what people perceive as benefits of that particular type of pistol, go for it. You will get good responses. If you want to show up and ask why is a particular type of pistol (1911) is more expensive than a Glock (brand name not a type/caliber) then the obvious conclusion is that you are trying to stir up controversy = trolling.

My recommendation to you is to find a range who rents handguns or find someone (maybe someone here) who owns some handguns who would be willing to let you try some to see what you like. If you have little experience with handguns and are looking for a first purchase I would personally recommend getting something less expensive (both purchase and firing cost) so you can get comfortable with a handgun and improve your technique.

In sum you aren't getting an answer because it isn't a question that can be answered in a post on a forum. All anyone can do is state their opinion which then leads to someone else not agreeing = controversy stirred.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RCN View Post
    You want the real answer.

People are willing to pay more for a 1911 made by Kimber than a X model Glock on average. Price is relative only in terms of people willing to render a sum of common tender (money) in exchange for a product (in this case pistol).

In truth we could go on for days explaining relative merits of particular caliber weapons/rounds, on and on about markets (how prices are set, marketing techniques, targeting/creating niche markets) or we could cite ad-nauseum test x done by country y showing what pistol is the most reliable, deadly, insert desire trait here.

Purchasing a pistol is an incredibly personal subject. It is a matter of finding something that "works" for you. I can't tell you why person Z wants to pay whatever price. It is personal preference. I think Glocks are overall excellent weapons that are highly reliable and function very well. That being said I will probably never own one because they don't fit me "right." I also won't buy Nike shoes, but that doesn't make them bad shoes. They just don't fit me.

If you want to know how a 1911 is manufactured and what people perceive as benefits of that particular type of pistol, go for it. You will get good responses. If you want to show up and ask why is a particular type of pistol (1911) is more expensive than a Glock (brand name not a type/caliber) then the obvious conclusion is that you are trying to stir up controversy = trolling.

My recommendation to you is to find a range who rents handguns or find someone (maybe someone here) who owns some handguns who would be willing to let you try some to see what you like. If you have little experience with handguns and are looking for a first purchase I would personally recommend getting something less expensive (both purchase and firing cost) so you can get comfortable with a handgun and improve your technique.

In sum you aren't getting an answer because it isn't a question that can be answered in a post on a forum. All anyone can do is state their opinion which then leads to someone else not agreeing = controversy stirred.
    I was reading your post, and going "ah, okay, okay" and then got to the part where again, I get called a troll. Thanks.

You know, I'm a regular at another forum where calling someone a troll is against the rules. I swear, I've lambasted that rule all the time, saying its dumb, but now I'm starting to see the point. I've been called a troll like 6 times in this thread, and there's only like 10 posts in this thread. Awesome.

Your answer the question, is, in effect, it's all subjective, and just personal preference, there is no real reason to pay more for the 1911, it's just a matter of looks and feel. Which is fine, that's what I was asking. Thank you for responding. It does seem that my decision to get a 1911 is just pure vanity, though. Like I said, I'm fine with that, and will probably get one anyways instead of the XD or M&P, I was just wondering if there was a tactical or other reason to go with the 1911.

(Chester County)

Kimbers cost a lot because of they have to pay for all their marketing...and they have the "country club" effect in place. People think that because they're more expensive than some other options, that they're a better gun. In the case of Kimber, I wouldn't say that's always true.

The machining steps, the quality control, the raw materials cost...it all adds up.

I suggest NOT buying a 1911 if cost is a huge hurdle for you. Between mags, ammo, and the work at the shop and PM they often require...they're not going to be that cheap to use.

FWIW, I wouldn't buy any Kimber in production today...I'd buy a base SA or Colt and modify it to suit, or buy a semi-custom. But that's just me.

(Centre County)

If I thought you were trolling I wouldn't have spent the time responding.

I apologize if I came across wrong to you there. I never said "you are a troll" I was trying to explain why the troll word even came up in the first place. It wasn't that you were asking a bad question it was the wording that put people on the wrong track.

I know where you are coming from. I don't know why (I haven't even shot one) but I really find myself wanting a Kimber Ultra Carry II
    and a Wesson/CZ Pointman 7.
    It is somewhat illogical but a I guess I want what I want. I will probably make at least two other handgun purchases first and use the intervening time to find someone who will let me shoot one of the above first. A local shop does have the Pointman 7 though, one more visit and I might not be able to resist.

I am probably influenced by a friend who shot the Wesson and said it was one of the nicest triggers he has ever shot in a stock pistol. I may not like it as much as him, but for some reason I like the look.

Don't get pissed/discouraged. Overall people here are great and there is a lot of knowledge being shared.

On the tactical/self defense side I have a hard time wanting to carry a weapon that only gives me 7 rounds. I personally like 9mm, but someone will probably tell me I should move up to a real mans round and carry a .45. Oh well.
    Last edited by RCN; February 23rd, 2009 at 05:24 PM.

(Bucks County)

Man, I know what you're saying. The Kimber pistols are just gorgeous.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols..._stainless_II/

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols...hop/raptor_II/

Those grips are beautiful.

I mean, I'm probably going to go with the Para Carry 9, in the end, because I like how the hammer is flush and the grip safety is better suited for concealed carry, but for a full size 1911, when I have the cash, I'm definitely looking at the above Kimbers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast