Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Abbottstown/Hanover/Gettysburg area, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)

Default what is a 9mm parabellum (9x19)

I know I am asking what will be one of the most stupid question of my life on a forum. I have always had 38/357 and revolvers. I purchased a sccy 9 mm which says to use 9 mm luger ammo. Then I purchased a Rugar SR9 and it says use 9mm Parabellum (9x19) ammo. When I go to online stores under 9x19 there isn't much. When I go in under Luger there is much to chose from. Can someone explain this to me for future reference. Everyone have a good laugh but I can guess that they are both the same and I can use either 9x19, or luger ammo.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: what is a 9mm parabellum (9x19)

one in the same my friend, one in the same

9X19 describes the cartridge by its diameter and length

9mm Luger describes the cartridge by its inventor Georg Luger

9mm Parabellum describes the cartridge by its purpose 9mm for war

There is also 9mm Makarov or 9X18, which is a russian service round, 9mm Browning which is the 380 auto, 9X21 which is known as 38 super, and a whole host of other 9mm

9x19mm, 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, and 9mm NATO are all the same round

(York County)

The age old saying holds true. The only stupid question, is the one not asked. Particularly when it comes to the safe operation and handling of firearms. Always ask, its better than blowing your face off afterall.

Dave W.
    3%

(Allegheny County)

Technically there is a difference. But as far as I understand "Parabellum" is used for Euro ammo and the others are non-euro ammo. Supposedly the European ammo (Parabellum) has more of a powder charge than non-euro ones, meaning Parabellum ammo is like +P 9mm Luger. I'm trying to find the post where I read that but I can't find it now.

Hope this helps. I remembered this from when I asked the same quesion when I first joined PAFOA. What goes around comes around I guess.
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

(Chester County)

Hey, I bought a 9mm of a guy who claimed to be unable to find 9mm para ammo anywhere. Got a good price too. If had asked this "stupid question" he would not have lost a good amount of money on a pistol he bought less than a week earlier.

Just to add a little more info to the discussion, .380 ACP is also known as 9mm kurz, or 9mm short. Kurz means short in German. I used to have a SIG Sauer P230 that was labeled 9mm kurz.

Abbottstown/Hanover/Gettysburg area, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)

Thanks for the response and explaining this to me. When I read this in the owners manuel, and after looking for the ammo, I was thinking that it allmost had to be just about all of them. I just wanted to make sure before I ruined a good pistol or hurt myself. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by strickler613 View Post
    I know I am asking what will be one of the most stupid question of my life on a forum. I have always had 38/357 and revolvers. I purchased a sccy 9 mm which says to use 9 mm luger ammo. Then I purchased a Rugar SR9 and it says use 9mm Parabellum (9x19) ammo. When I go to online stores under 9x19 there isn't much. When I go in under Luger there is much to chose from. Can someone explain this to me for future reference. Everyone have a good laugh but I can guess that they are both the same and I can use either 9x19, or luger ammo.
    9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, 9x19 are all different names for the same ammo. You can use them all.

Do NOT use 9x18, 9mm short (which is just .380 ACP), 9mm Largo, or 9x21.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by eulogyADD View Post
    Technically there is a difference. But as far as I understand "Parabellum" is used for Euro ammo and the others are non-euro ammo. Supposedly the European ammo (Parabellum) has more of a powder charge than non-euro ones, meaning Parabellum ammo is like +P 9mm Luger. I'm trying to find the post where I read that but I can't find it now.

Hope this helps. I remembered this from when I asked the same quesion when I first joined PAFOA. What goes around comes around I guess.
    Parabellum is just a term for "for war", not a load difference. 9mm "Parabellum" existed well before the practice of loading it hot like is done with +P's and some "Nato"/Euro loads.. It derived from the 7.65 Parabellum, both of which were design for military use - hence the "for war" moniker. The German Navy wasn't fond of the 7.65cal and requested a larger caliber - which the resulted in the 7.65mm having its shoulder and neck straightened to 9mm, then case length shortened to 19mm.

The proper name for what we know as the 9mm is "9mm Parabellum". It was nicknamed "9mm Luger" because of the original use in the Luger P08 and the designer's name.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast